PDA

View Full Version : Crossing the border

Keri
04-07-2008, 06:26 AM
Anyone have any experience bringing anything back from a LFS in washington? Are there any legalities involved? No trip planned any time right away but I like to plan ahead.

edit: POOP... I put this in the wrong forum, I mean to put it in "BC -lower mainland" if any mod wants to bump it over there that'd be much appreciated.

ferret
04-07-2008, 01:42 PM
I'm interested in this tropic, any feedback ?

Myka
04-07-2008, 02:14 PM
I'm not so sure these days, but a decade ago I bought all sorts of saltwater fish, inverts, and the odd soft coral and didn't have any troubles crossing the border. Albeit was a small border crossing, they never checked out species names or anything.

Canuckgod420
04-07-2008, 03:20 PM
A few months ago my wife went to Bellingham and picked up some fish at a fed ex station I bought from live aqauria, the border guard just wanted to know if the fish where for sale. She said no, so no problem.

dsaundry
04-07-2008, 03:25 PM
As for fish, You will require the scientific name and make sure it is not on Cites list. It must be for personal use. If it is for business there is a bunch more paperwork. But to my knowledge other than some seahorse species and anything endangered there is not much you can't bring back. As for corals, you also need the scientific name but there might be some other delays, Imo depending what it is, if it is mounted on a rock..it is sometimes easier just saying its aquarium rock.."Not Live Rock" That however is a hmmm....Gamble and strictly up to the individual..I usually just get fish, but I haven't been it a while..Just easier buying up here off members and some LFS's. :biggrin:

Puff
04-08-2008, 12:58 AM
im ordering some liverock from premium aquatics soon and am planning on picking it up in Blaine, Washington. if asked i will be bringing "limestone for my aquarium".

considering one border guard didnt know what an "aquarium" was i dont think ill get too much hassle. i had to take 5 minutes to explain to the guy what an aquarium was. it was ridiculous.

Keri
04-08-2008, 03:26 AM
Awesome, thanks for the tips

Has anyone ever been turned down?

spoot
04-08-2008, 04:18 AM
I contaced fisheries and oceans Canada about this a while back. Here is there response:

"Canada does not require an import permit or licence in order to import live ornamental fish from another country that will be maintained in aquariums.

Since the importation of ornamental fishes for hobby aquariums or the pet trade is considered to pose a negligible risk to native aquatic fish species, Fisheries and Oceans Canada has no act or regulation to licence the importation of live fish for ornamental use. No official documentation is necessary to clear Canada Customs and the importation of ornamental/hobby fish is not restricted. You may wish to have a copy of this email with you in the event the shipment is challenged by Customs.

You should verify with the CITES (Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora) endangered species list to ensure the international trade in any of the species you wish to import is not restricted. For more information, please see the CITES website at www.cites.org and Environment Canada's website http://www.cites.ec.gc.ca/listedecontrole/index.cfm?lang=e&fuseaction=cList.swOptions.

Please be advised that the release or disposal of live or dead ornamental aquarium fish into wild fish habitat is prohibited in Canada.
Sincerely,
Nancy House
National Registry of Aquatic Animal Health /
Registre national de la santé des animaux aquatiques
Fisheries and Oceans Canada / Pêches et Océans Canada
200 rue Kent St
Ottawa, ON K1A 0E6
Tel: 613-990-7033
Fax: 613-993-7665"

dsaundry
04-08-2008, 04:27 AM
Never been turned down. And as per Spoots reply, ornamental fish are fine, so long as it is not on a cites list. There are a few.