PDA

View Full Version : Look at my septic tank - whats in yours?

Chin_Lee
04-07-2008, 06:21 AM
This is a picture of the bottom of the bucket after I did a quick siphoned cleaning of my BB tanks. This was only a 20g water change. Makes me wonder where all these muck went when there was sand in my tank.......
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o309/chin_lee/IMG_1399.jpg

Keri
04-07-2008, 06:28 AM
Mmmmm....that's the tasty bit right there!!

kwirky
04-07-2008, 06:36 AM
one day I went around the store and emptied every protein skimmer cup into a single bucket. I'm NEVER doing that again!

Der_Iron_Chef
04-07-2008, 01:32 PM
Wow. I was just thinking last night how I might like to try a sandbed again. Ummm...maybe not. :surprise:

hillbillyreefer
04-07-2008, 02:12 PM
It is amazing the amount of "mud" that shows up on the bb. It amazes me the amount of crap that comes off LR when basted. Then two hours later you get just as much when you baste again.

I really don't like the bare bottom look but 2 out of 4 of my tanks now have it. The stuff in your picture is the reason they are BB.

Myka
04-07-2008, 02:16 PM
Chin Lee...I thought you changed your name to Aquattro? If not, then who was Aquattro before the name change?

Moogled
04-07-2008, 02:43 PM
Chin Lee...I thought you changed your name to Aquattro? If not, then who was Aquattro before the name change?

Aquattro is Brad aka Reef_raf.

Matt
04-07-2008, 04:15 PM
This is a picture of the bottom of the bucket after I did a quick siphoned cleaning of my BB tanks. This was only a 20g water change. Makes me wonder where all these muck went when there was sand in my tank.......That is some of the most bioactive goop on the planet, I'd imagine. Unsightly? Yes. Bad? I wonder...

Reefer Rob
04-07-2008, 04:28 PM
All that was laying in the bottom of your tank Chin?!!

When I vacuum my SSB the crud is a sort of light tan color, and a rather disappointingly small amount. The sand bed organisms must be digesting it, for good or for bad who's to say.

Summer's coming so I won't likely vacuum for a few months. Should be interesting to see what comes out in the fall, if I can still get at the sand bed.

Rob

christyf5
04-07-2008, 04:48 PM
Yikes :eek:

Sadly my tank is about what, half or a third the size of yours and I used to get about that much crud out of my tank...weekly :redface: Since I got rid of my diadema urchin, the crud load is down by about half.

kwirky
04-07-2008, 05:00 PM
I added 20 fairy hermits to the 33g temporary tank and the hair algae was eradicated overnight but the detritus all of a sudden exploded. I'd rather have detritus than hair algae :)

untamed
04-07-2008, 08:15 PM
It is all a big chain of digestive events right?....so when it has been run through every critter in the chain a few times, what do you really end up with? With a bb tank, I suppose there aren't as many processes in place to break that stuff down into more harmless material.

bv_reefer
04-07-2008, 08:45 PM
haha funny, i got sick and tired of my sand bed and took it all out yesterday, good thing too lol