PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Intro

Alberta-newb
04-07-2008, 04:57 AM
Hi everyone! I'm a newbie here and thought I'd introduce myself. My name is Francis and I live in Carstairs (about 30 min. north of Calgary). 42 and industrial painter by trade. After dreaming about it for the last 20 years I've decided to jump in and get my feet wet:wink:
I've kept FW off and on for years but now I've started working on a reef tank. This is going to be a slow and carefull process as I've learned mistakes can be costly. I'm putting a 120 into the wall above my basement stairs. To support the weight I've welded up a 4' x 4' platform using 3"x1.5" HSS and supports running down to my foundation, also added a jackpost under the floor. I've also taken over the closet to one side for access. I'll be plumbing a mini sink and fresh water supply as well as electrical into here as well.

Tank was made by Rob at BV and has two 1 1/2" bulkheads in the top back corners. I'll be starting my "calfo" overflow this week and it will run the full width of the tank. For a sump and refugium I picked up and old 42 gal from my LFS. It's drilled with two 1" bulkheads and has a divider about 2/3 across. I'm planning on keeping chaeto and a LDSB on one side and the other side will be for my return pump (Quiet One 6000MD), heaters and skimmer.

I'll post pics of my build as I make progress (if anyone is interested?) I look forward to learning from you all. I've already learned a bunch just lurking here for the last little while.

Francis "Alberta-newb"

cprowler
04-07-2008, 05:09 AM
Welcome to Canreef Francis, good to see you here. Looking forward to your build.

Der_Iron_Chef
04-07-2008, 05:24 AM
Welcome, Francis! I'd love to see progress of your build. It sounds like you've already put a great deal of thought and effort into it. This is the best place to be for all things saltwater....so I hope you stick around.

michika
04-07-2008, 02:42 PM
Hey and welcome! Sounds like a very cool build!

dsaundry
04-07-2008, 02:55 PM
Welcome, Welcome, Welcome!:biggrin:

digital-audiophile
04-07-2008, 03:07 PM
Cool, I look forward to pictures of your tank :)

Lance
04-07-2008, 03:08 PM
Welcome Francis.
Looking forward to lots of pics of the build.

Alberta-newb
04-10-2008, 05:35 AM
Thanks for the welcome:biggrin: Looking forward to my build as well! I still have a lot of learning to do and hope I can also share with ideas as I make progress.

Pics will start as soon as I have something to show...right now it's just a tank in the wall but hopefully it will be plumbed by months end.

Francis

Doo
04-15-2008, 02:54 PM
Welcome Francis!

I am new too, and would love to see pictures even of the first steps - toss them on - NO PRESSURE :lol:

Alberta-newb
04-18-2008, 04:49 AM
Welcome Francis!

I am new too, and would love to see pictures even of the first steps - toss them on - NO PRESSURE :lol:

Thanks Doo! Sure is a lot of things to learn isn't it? I hope I'm getting it right!

Pics are up! I decided to start a post in the journal forum so I can keep it all in one post. It's here:

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=318910#post318910

Francis