PDA

View Full Version : Need help

Inlimbo
04-07-2008, 03:30 AM
Hi we are still newbies and have had a 33 gal reef tank for the last 2 years, We just bought a 55 gall tank and want to know whats best way to go into with our 33.
We have about 50lb of new tufa rock that has been cleaned and sterilized in the tank now.We also have about 5 lbs of live rock in it now and some live water from our tank and one other.
What should we do now?? When should we even think about moving our other tank into it.
Thanks So much

Glennrf38
04-07-2008, 04:08 AM
Wait at least a couple of weeks for the cycle to go through. You might try daily water changes from your existing tank to the new tank. The more "old" water in it the faster it should cycle. At least thats what I would do. Anyone else?

ElGuappo
04-07-2008, 04:36 AM
I am new to this hobby as well and i am going to be moving a tank soon. if i were in your position i would set the new tank up and do a water change on the old tank using this water in the new tank. this tank sould run for a good couple of weeks before you consider LS (not including CUC) as it will need to cycle from what i hear. are you using substrate? reusing? new? only asking becaue the rinsing of substrate can take a long time and leave your tank cloudy.

marie
04-07-2008, 04:50 AM
Hi we are still newbies and have had a 33 gal reef tank for the last 2 years, We just bought a 55 gall tank and want to know whats best way to go into with our 33.
We have about 50lb of new tufa rock that has been cleaned and sterilized in the tank now.We also have about 5 lbs of live rock in it now and some live water from our tank and one other.
What should we do now?? When should we even think about moving our other tank into it.
Thanks So much

As long as you have a bunch of live rock in the old tank and providing all water parameters somewhat match, then there really is no reason you can't go ahead and transfer everything into the new tank

Palster
04-07-2008, 05:22 AM
As long as you have a bunch of live rock in the old tank and providing all water parameters somewhat match, then there really is no reason you can't go ahead and transfer everything into the new tank

I agree with what Marie has stated. I have successfully upgraded my tank several times over the years with very minimal cycle by moving all of my live rock and live sand along with some of the tank water(some people say not to re-use sand but I always have). I started out with a 50 gallon and upgraded to a 90 gallon then upgraded to 135 gallon and finally to a 180 gallon. In all cases I moved all of my live rock, live sand and livestock at once with next to no noticeable cycle. That being said my livestock consists of mostly fish and a few more hardy corals but I would not consider this to be a true reef tank as most of my fish are mainly predators such as Triggers and Puffers.

Welcome to Canreef. It is good to see more people from Kelowna and the Okanagan!

Starry
04-07-2008, 08:33 AM
Hey Inlimbo, Glad to see you found it. Told you you'd find good advice here.:biggrin:

Welcome aboard.

hillbillyreefer
04-07-2008, 02:21 PM
What marie said is good advice. After the move don't add a bunch of new critters. Wait for a while and allow the new tufa to seed before adding any new animals. As usual go slow and everything should work out just fine.

Interior_Reef
04-07-2008, 02:40 PM
I agree with marie & Palster. You can move all of it your 33 intothe new 55, and just add water to bring the level up. It wil be like a Larger Water Change.

A few other things you should think of before setting up a reef are protein skimmer, possible Calcium reactor, etc.etc.

If ever you need help, this place is great for getting it.
Welcome to Canreef!

Inlimbo
07-07-2008, 04:10 PM
Hey Inlimbo, Glad to see you found it. Told you you'd find good advice here.:biggrin:

Welcome aboard.

Thanx,i appreciate it.

Inlimbo
07-07-2008, 04:13 PM
Thanx,i appreciate it.

You can do it,i did the same with my 33,put it all into a 55 and it didn't even re cycle!

Inlimbo
07-07-2008, 04:17 PM
You can do it,i did the same with my 33,put it all into a 55 and it didn't even re cycle!I would wait two or three week's just too be safe.

Inlimbo
07-09-2008, 05:39 PM
Hi i have bought some Macro Algae,Caetomorpha and i am wondering how to make the best hang on refugium?
Item number: 270249329005

Okguy
07-09-2008, 06:10 PM
There are some plans out there that converts an Aquaclear filter into a refugium. Do a google search on AC 101 or AC 500 DIY Refugium. It appears to be a pretty simple mod.

Too bad you purchases some Chaeto. Lots of people on this board (including myself) give it away fro free.

Cheers,

Kevin

Inlimbo
07-10-2008, 04:51 PM
So,is chateau any good?I here it is supposed to be the king of algae's.I have probably been mislead.What other micro's would you recommend?

Inlimbo
07-10-2008, 04:55 PM
If anyone out their has some good micro algae i would love to purchase here, The person i purchased from only has this algae.

Inlimbo
07-10-2008, 05:16 PM
I have made a hang on,out of plexi so far,i was thinking i could run my fluval inside the refuguim so it would overflow right back into the system.