PDA

View Full Version : Clownfish

Maintenance Man
03-06-2003, 05:51 AM
Hello I bought two A.perclua's They have been getting along great until last night . One decide it didn't like the other one anymore at all I am setting up a hospital tank so i can tank one out . but does anyone have an idea why this is happenning ?? :roll: We haven't received our clownbook yet, it comes on friday . So some idea's why this is happenning would help . :D

Kris F
03-06-2003, 06:02 AM
Hey how's it going?

I just bought 2 false percs a couple of weeks ago, and had the exact same problem.

One of them was super agressive and would nip at the other one during feeding, and bully it around.

I haven't seperated them though because I haven't seen anything too serious yet, anyway they seem to be working it out !

:wink:

ron101
03-06-2003, 06:50 AM
Sounds like they are establishing the pecking order, one dominant and one subordinate. Just keep an eye on them and if it gets outta hand you may have to intervene.

Like Kris said they will likely work it out on their own; perculas are typically more bark than bite. Maroons on the other hand are not so diplomatic.

Maintenance Man
03-06-2003, 06:57 AM
the one that is getting bullied has had it fins rip and is going into hidding . if it continues. I think i will remove him .

BCOrchidGuy
03-06-2003, 08:26 PM
Try to remove them both and set them in a seperate tank with a divider, they are trying to establish a pecking order like has already been said. The more aggressive one will become the female but right now they need to establish their "understanding" Soon enough he will be confined to a cave of their host anemone, and she will bring them both food etc... She will also kill any fish she sees as a threat to her little man though. I have two saddlebacks two tomatos and two clarkii, the tomatos and clarkiis were bought as a BIG and a little one each, they haven't had any trouble as the little one knows it will get its butt kicked if it gets any ideas.

Pansy-Paws
03-08-2003, 05:56 PM
Same thing happened with our 2 clarkii when they were establishing who was going to be the Momma. We waited it out but kept an eye on things. Now Momma is still fairly aggressive towards the other fish, especially if they swim too close to her eligancia (sp) coral which she's adopted as their anemone. Love watching her feed it.

Rather than put them in separate tanks, I second the idea of a clear plexiglas/plastic divider - they have to be able to see each other during this time. Otherwise you'll just go through the whole thing again.

Stirfry
03-27-2003, 04:30 AM
hey my clarkii's are doing the same thin if i were id leave them alon because they might be deciding who's the female or who's the male??

BCOrchidGuy
03-27-2003, 07:59 PM
Yep stirfry thats is entirely possible, as has been said to avoid the fighting buy two fish of different sizes, the larger one will automatically take over and the smaller one won't be so dumb as to risk life and fin so it can be the little boss.... unless they are maroons then anything goes... in all fairness though the large fish with a small fish usually works with maroons too, Wendell is the one to ask for sure though.