PDA

View Full Version : water storage

Lance
04-06-2008, 04:14 PM
I keep 2 - 35 gal containers in my garage. FW & SW. Both containers have a heater and a bubble stone. R/O unit is also in garage hooked to sink. Can exhaust fumes from the car contaminate the water? Both containers have tight fitting lids, but the air pump running the bubblers takes in air. And what about the R/O unit? Anybody have any ideas on this?

Lance

CRAP! Another Hobby
04-06-2008, 08:24 PM
I would suggest monitoring the params of the storage tanks closely. If the air pumps ARE in the garage, then they are definitly pumping fumes into the water. It will be VERY noticeable if any of the fumes in the garage are frrom a diesel vehicle...ie oil slick on the water surface. Your best bet is to drill a small hole through the wall and move the pump to the other side...drill 2 holes in the lid of your holding containers...1 hole will be for the airline to go into the container...the second hole is a vent to relieve the internal build-up of the air from the airline...the positive pressure created in the container will help to prevent any car exhaust fumes from getting into the water.

HTH

edit...as for the RO unit, it will be fine since it is completely sealed

Zoaelite
04-06-2008, 08:46 PM
"Can exhaust fumes from the car contaminate the water?"
I have one question for you? Why are you running your car in the garage anyways? Please dont do this, its how people die of CO poisining!
Levi

CRAP! Another Hobby
04-06-2008, 08:51 PM
I have one question for you? Why are you running your car in the garage anyways? Please dont do this, its how people die of CO poisining!
Levi

:idea::idea: Very true i2....but aside from the obvious risk to personal well-being, there are still fumes that linger when the car only runs for those few seconds.

Zoaelite
04-06-2008, 09:08 PM
:idea::idea: Very true i2....but aside from the obvious risk to personal well-being, there are still fumes that linger when the car only runs for those few seconds.

Exactly why you take the 10 seconds to pull the car out of the garage. I lost 2 people close to me due to sheer stupidity. I would rather be cold outside than dead inside.:sad:

Lance
04-06-2008, 09:21 PM
I would suggest monitoring the params of the storage tanks closely. If the air pumps ARE in the garage, then they are definitly pumping fumes into the water. It will be VERY noticeable if any of the fumes in the garage are frrom a diesel vehicle...ie oil slick on the water surface. Your best bet is to drill a small hole through the wall and move the pump to the other side...drill 2 holes in the lid of your holding containers...1 hole will be for the airline to go into the container...the second hole is a vent to relieve the internal build-up of the air from the airline...the positive pressure created in the container will help to prevent any car exhaust fumes from getting into the water.

HTH

edit...as for the RO unit, it will be fine since it is completely sealed

Good idea! thanks

Lance
04-06-2008, 09:25 PM
Levi

The car doesn't run in the garage. It's not cold here. You get in the car, start it up, press the garage door opener and drive out. (15 secs)
Thanks for your concern though

Zoaelite
04-06-2008, 09:36 PM
The car doesn't run in the garage. It's not cold here. You get in the car, start it up, press the garage door opener and drive out. (15 secs)
Thanks for your concern though

LOL! I hate you BC'ers and you mild winters... raining in Vic. and its minus 50 in Calgary.