PDA

View Full Version : Floating head o.O

sharuq1
04-05-2008, 11:27 PM
Sooo I have a floating head in my tank...

What?

Yep a floating head....of frogspawn. It has no skeleton. Not really sure what to do with it. Can they grow a new skeleton? It expands and what not, and other than having no skeleton and floating around it seems healthy. I penned it in a votive holder with some bridal veil on top so it can't get sucked into a powerhead or something. I don't want to glue it because I think it will a) not work and b)just cause tissue damage.

Unfortunately my Ca is low at the moment, so it might be tough for it to make a skeleton, if that is even possible. It could be because I had to switch salts for a while (marine bio sea and ocean pure instead of my usual ocean pure pro). As soon as the bio sea is used up I will be switching back to OPP though.

Has this happened to anyone else? Stories/advice?

fkshiu
04-05-2008, 11:50 PM
It can be a sign of stress or poor water quality. My candycane heads detached one by one when I got lazy one summer with my old tank.

I wouldn't hold out much hope of a detached head regenerating a new skeleton.

sharuq1
04-05-2008, 11:55 PM
It was most definitely stress! The frogspawn got knocked on a rock :( (this is what happens when a non-reefer gets into your tank...:sad: I realize it was an accident but still......must..get ..revenge...okay okay I won't but I can still think it!) However....this little head has been alive for weeks already and still looks healthy other than having no "body".