PDA

View Full Version : Reef Tanks in private office's

Richard_Dicosimo
04-05-2008, 10:02 PM
Well the company my family owns has moved location and i have been given permision to build a tank in the display area of our show room. im fairly excited because i have big plans for a large tank. but im wondering if any of you out there have feed back on tanks at the office? recomendations and what not? my tank at home gets neglected from time to time and im concerend what might happen if the tank at the office gets neglected.

basically im looking for any comments on possible negative asspects that i have not concidered.

heres what i have to deal with it will be going in a 1500sq' flooring showroom, there is a 9' high tbar ceiling which i think might work to my advantage to bring power to the tank if i have to through the roof aswell as water. a drain unfortunately is not anywhere near so there is no easy draining of water from the tank. i was planning on piping the exhausted air into the warehouse so the show room doesn't get hot and humid. but the building does have air conditioning.

at home i have a 200 gal reef tank that im planning on taking down and moving everything in it to the shop. i am hoping the shop tank will be in the 600gallon range.

the actual construciotn of the tank probably wont get under way for about 3 months, but i am hoping to have all of the planning done by then.

so anything anyone can give me to think about when it comes to making my life easier down the road would be great.

Richard

michika
04-05-2008, 10:10 PM
I'm thinking automation right now, for weekends and holidays, ATO, reactors (if you need to dose), and maybe an auto fish feeder. Then there is the usuals, which I'm sure you'll do anyways, timers for lights, back up power supply for a heater and a couple of powerheads.

ponokareefer
04-05-2008, 10:31 PM
My main tank is at the office where I work as well. I'd second the automatic fish feeders. I'd also make sure it is an area that isn't in a high traffic area. Put it off to the side, so everyone that comes in and out doesn't have to come right beside. Don't put it right beside a door either, as the air from outside will be constantly changing the tanks tempature. Make sure you make a spot that is out of the way for all your extras as well(fish food, etc.), so kids don't play with it. Try to make a stand/bar that keeps people a little ways away, or be ready to put a sign up asking people not to touch the tank, because you'd be surprised how many parents allow their kids to bang on the glass(even if there is a sign sometimes). An automatic top-off system would be really good, although I don't have one.

Richard_Dicosimo
04-06-2008, 02:04 AM
i never really thought of kids banging on the galss thats a good point!! An auto top off is a must in any office tank i think, top off could easily get forgotten at the office.

what do you guys think of a reef tank tho? i dont see it being much more work then a fish only tank, seeing as i already have a reef tank, but having it at the office over the weekend see any complications??

Skimmerking
04-06-2008, 03:56 AM
well my tank is fully automatic with the help of the wife feeding the tank and doug Checking the levels once per week.. it tops off ,timers ,float switches. I like it less time spending on the tank and more time hanging with the kids......

and being over here in Afghanistan, its been holding up really good

Ya Dude
04-06-2008, 06:36 AM
office ? what floor is it on .Think about water changes.With a sump your looking at almost 200g every 2 weeks

Richard_Dicosimo
04-06-2008, 05:02 PM
i have a proflux pluss 2 that i plan to throw on it so i guess it will be monitored fairly well, ok i think im mostly convinced that an office reef shouldnt be that much harder then a home reef. and the tank is going in a single storey building not that i see what it matters other then the origional move the tank it pain. im thinking for water changes i will have a remote tub that has my clean water change water and then just get it pumped over and same with removing the water just pump it to a toilet.

Richard