PDA

View Full Version : new sump= Major problems

chevyjaxon
04-05-2008, 08:31 PM
i went to Big als and bought a new sump made by megaflow this week. cost $400.00. ok so heres the deal bought the sump to quiet things down a bit now things are pretty quiet but my temperature went way up to like 81F and thats from 78F the other problem is the amount of water evaporated each day is almost 15 litres my walls are wet because of this. this is a 90 gallon tank i have a heater that now resides in the bottom of the sump and remains unplugged i have a fan over the top of the sump but still the temperature goes as high as 79F this fix is only temporary at best as the hot season is still coming any thoughts would be appreciated

Brent F
04-05-2008, 08:48 PM
What is adding the heat that wasn't there before? Some pumps create a lot of heat. Did you add any lighting?

chevyjaxon
04-05-2008, 08:51 PM
i do have a pump that i used on my previous sump its the biggest pump rio makes it a 32 hf in my previous sump i had no problems though

Brent F
04-05-2008, 10:05 PM
Is this sump smaller than the old one? Reduced total water volume could cause the temperature to increase

chevyjaxon
04-05-2008, 10:08 PM
the new sump is about the same size as the old one it does have a bacteria chamber however and that is closed off the rest is open

Black Phantom
04-05-2008, 10:40 PM
There must be another reason for the heat buildup. Apart from lights and a heater the only other source is your pump. Put your hand on it to see if it's overheating.
As far as all the humidity you're getting I'm not sure what could be going on there. I regularly run my tank at 81 and the tank is behind a display wall so the room isn't that large. My total water volume is a little over 350 gallons and I don't have a problem with humidity.
I just make sure I get good airflow to the room.

untamed
04-05-2008, 11:15 PM
I'm guessing that the fan is new....added because you are trying to cool things down. It's the evaporation caused by the fan that is sweating the walls.

That's no answer as to what is causing your heat buildup though...

Ghost
12-18-2008, 02:58 PM
Chevyjaxon.... did you ever find out what caused the problem? I know this is an old thread, but I've just joined the site, am a newcomer to the hobby, and am having a similar problem.

I have a 110g tank w/sump, Rio 26H, submersed heater set at 74 degrees (in sump) and temp is sitting at 82-83degrees and this is without any lights on. So far I've only added sand and fresh water to make sure everything worked well and won't add any live rock to start the cycle until I can stabilize the first issue.

If anyone else has any suggestions, I'd appreciate them. I unplugged the heater and the two power heads yesterday just to see if I can isolate the problem. So far it has gone from 83 degrees yesterday to 80.6 as of this morning.

I thought perhaps it could be the back pressure in the Rio pump because the return outlet on the pump is 3/4" and my return (flex tube) is also 3/4" so I was told to use 1/2" connectors to get the two to join. But I've called the pet store and they have told me that even with that bottleneck the temperature could not possibly soar 9 degrees up from just the pump.

PS - All equipment is new.

brizzo
12-18-2008, 03:49 PM
Did either of you check if your thermometer is actually accurate, or use more than one?? Just a stab in the dark :)

Ghost
12-18-2008, 04:15 PM
I am going to double check mine this evening with another one. The one I have in there now is a digital type with the cord submersed in the tank. Being that I bought it brand new and saw it climb (when I first added colder water) and plateau, I would think it is. But I'm going to double check everything. If I spent a ton of time trying to figure this out only to learn it was something that simple; I'd go postal.

dabandit
12-18-2008, 04:18 PM
Off the top of my head evap could be caused by added turbulence due to extra baffles,smaller pump out chamber can cause extra heat,new fuge light could cause extra heat and the fan itself can cause extra evap. Somethings to think about

superduperwesman
12-18-2008, 04:31 PM
I have a fairly new thermometer that is out by 3 degrees. Unfortunately I tossed the receipt so I can't return it. It's the type that works of a temp probe that you submerge

fkshiu
12-18-2008, 05:17 PM
Get several thermometers and make sure they all agree.

Place them throughout your system.

Unplug each electrical device starting with your heater(s) one by one each hour or so and closely monitor the thermometers. Unplug your return pump last.

OR it could be that with the added humidity in the general vicinity the evap rate is being limited thereby leading to an increase in temp. Solution? Open some windows.

Ghost
12-18-2008, 06:03 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll be working on this in the evening and will post results. Or at least a picture of me using a Rio pump to beat the LFS employee who thought this pump was the right one for a reef tank. lol

Ghost
12-22-2008, 02:55 PM
Unplugged each device except the return pump. It didn't change much at all so I went out and bought a cheapo $3 thermometer and found the problem. The cheapo thermometer showed 76 degrees while the $38 digital one was showing 79.6. So I went and exchanged the digital for a new one... only to come home and find the replacement having the same variance. Retarded.

Nonetheless, thanks to all for the suggestions.