PDA

View Full Version : Kenya tree question

CRAP! Another Hobby
04-05-2008, 03:46 AM
Starting yesterday, my Kenya Tree suddenly has stopped expanding during "lights on" time. The day before, we had a minor landslide in the tank which shook the rubble that the kenya is on...causing it to fall to the bottom of the tank.
Today, with lights having been on for 5 hours now, the tree is still in it's nocturnal constriction.

Any ideas what (if anything) is wrong? All my params are spot on!

hillbillyreefer
04-05-2008, 03:53 AM
Pretty much impossible to kill a Kenya Tree. I've done everything your not supposed to do to mine and they just keep on living. Don't fret it, it seems like a stress event triggers them to release frags. Soon your tank will be covered with them and you'll be yanking them out. If yours do die let me know I've got several you can have!!!

Snappy
04-05-2008, 03:56 AM
Just give it some time and I'm sure it will be fine. It was likely stressed from the fall.

CRAP! Another Hobby
04-05-2008, 04:57 AM
OK...sorry for worrying like an "old mother hen". All I have ever kept is discus...so when anything happes (behavior/color etc) out of the ordinary...it's easy to get jummpy :biggrin:

Pretty much impossible to kill a Kenya Tree. I've done everything your not supposed to do to mine and they just keep on living. Don't fret it, it seems like a stress event triggers them to release frags. Soon your tank will be covered with them and you'll be yanking them out.

How do they release frags? Is it something I would see or notice?

hillbillyreefer
04-05-2008, 06:16 AM
When i p#$$ mine off it just starts dropping branches and they drift around the tank until the attach to a spot they like. I've probably got a half dozen on the bottom of the tank right now. You'll notice.

"Old Mother Hen" lol. That is a good way to describe all dedicated reefers. It's a steep learning curve. If you can't find the answer, ask, that's the only way you are going to learn. I've only been at this since September, and I still research topics daily. Which is good, if I wasn't researching I'd be playing in the tanks, just can't keep out of them.

Have fun!!

bv_reefer
04-05-2008, 06:18 AM
ya those things are pretty full proof, mine started getting eaten by some nudibranch at the stem and recovered and expanded within 2 days, there pretty hardy, on the other hand once a month or so, it has one of those days where he doesn't expand, not a clue why..:rolleyes:

CRAP! Another Hobby
04-07-2008, 09:32 PM
Finally...after 4 days it decided to open up again:lol: