PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else have fish that do "odd" things?

christyf5
04-04-2008, 09:04 PM
My regal tang fits right in with Dory from Finding Nemo. In fact I think her name was Nori when I first got her, we mostly call her dipshit now. Every day after eating, she races to the surface of the water takes a gulp of air and then streaks back to the bottom of the tank, letting the water "fart" out her gills. She does this repeatedly for about 10 minutes.

Today I discovered she's busy at the surface of the water at one end of the tank. She just angles herself parallel with the waters surface and flips her fins and tail to splash the water (up onto my lighting hood of course which is now completely soaking into the wood :rolleyes:). After doing that for a few seconds she streaks away only to come back after about 15-30 seconds.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b365/christyf5/th_66addf8d.jpg (http://s23.photobucket.com/albums/b365/christyf5/?action=view&current=66addf8d.flv)

Currently she is doing the same flippy type thing but in my staghorn coral which is next to the glass on the right hand side of the tank. Often people think she's stuck in there but nope she's just being an idiot. I can actually hear her hitting the glass with her side. She kind of reminds me of a clownfish fanning her eggs.

I often wonder if this is the result of being in captivity for too long or these fish are really that "special"?

Anyone else have any odd fish?

Matt
04-04-2008, 09:38 PM
I have a sixline wrasse and watchman goby that seem to prefer life in the overflow to life in the display, but other than that, fairly normal!

I wonder what's on the other side of the glass where your tang is freaking out? Is there a mirror effect there or something?

Joe Reefer
04-04-2008, 09:40 PM
I have a flamehawk that thinks he is invisible. He dashes from one hiding spot to the next. Thinking none of the other fish can see him (little does he know the other fish dont care.)

BTW you should really post some of the pictures in your photo album your tank is stunning.

christyf5
04-04-2008, 09:40 PM
No I leave that side of the tank covered with algae/coralline because the bangaii cardinal often has little lovefests/freakouts with his reflection and I thought it was stressing him out too much.

Although I do notice with all the rubbing up against the glass, the regal has created a couple of "windows to the outside" perhaps he can see himself now. I wonder if I could cut down on the reflection by putting colored paper against the tank?

christyf5
04-04-2008, 09:50 PM
BTW you should really post some of the pictures in your photo album your tank is stunning.

Thanks! Although I'm embarassed to say I don't quite "get" how that whole photogallery system works :redface: I upload a photo never to see it again. I've been using photobucket. I guess I should have a look-see if I can understand it.

Matt
04-04-2008, 09:51 PM
BTW you should really post some of the pictures in your photo album your tank is stunning.I'll second that... I should wrangle an invitation to gawk the next time I'm in Nanaimo...

Jason McK
04-04-2008, 10:28 PM
Christy, That's funny Jeff and J&L and I where talking about that yesterday. He has a Foxface that does that. I have my Orange shoulder, Foxface and now my Copper Banded Butterfly all go to the same corner and gulp air.

Jason McK
04-04-2008, 10:30 PM
Sorry I just watched the Video. My fish don't do that. Just gulp. Could it have a gill issue?

J

Joe Reefer
04-04-2008, 11:08 PM
I think its because he is purple! :razz:

Der_Iron_Chef
04-04-2008, 11:26 PM
Maybe he's attacking his reflection :)

christyf5
04-04-2008, 11:34 PM
Sorry I just watched the Video. My fish don't do that. Just gulp. Could it have a gill issue?

J

Mine does the gulping thing only after he eats though. This flapping at the surface was new today. It could very well be a gill issue although I don't know what it could be from. I haven't added any new fish, no corals are sliming. He still seems rather stressed. I've turned the lights out just in case he isn't having "fun" doing this. :neutral:

daddy01
04-04-2008, 11:35 PM
Hi,
My Blue tang does almost the same only it stirs up my sand bed
Jim

Canuckgod420
04-05-2008, 12:57 AM
My regal tang would pick up hermit crabs...swim them to the surface, and then drop them.
Then it would race back down to the bottom to grab the hermit again and do the whole over again. On top of all that everytime it sped back down to the bottom it would kick its tail so hard water would splash all over my lights and water would pore down the front glass.
Had to get rid of it.

Whatigot
04-05-2008, 02:51 AM
I just might lose my mind too if I was cooped up in one room my whole life with no explanation.:biggrin:
even a beautiful room like that.....

Slick Fork
04-05-2008, 04:56 AM
My Foxface does the gulping thing, he'll sit up behind the powerhead and grab a mouthful of air and then "chew" on the bubbles as they escape through his mouth. Glad to hear that I'm not the only one with a "special" fish!

Zylumn
04-05-2008, 05:04 AM
I have a Potters Angel that keeps trying to imitate my Clown pair by hosting a Fog Spawn. Its as funny as heck as it just can't seem to get that wiggle down.
Kevin

marie
04-05-2008, 05:38 AM
My achilles goes to the surface and flips water out of the tank with his tail. I'm not talking a few drops, I'm talking great puddles on the floor.

bv_reefer
04-05-2008, 06:07 AM
my sailfin takes ''rides'' on the koralia every morning, i'm thinking to burn off the excess nori and brine shrimp calories lol, other than that, it's all the usual

EmilyB
04-05-2008, 07:12 AM
Well, Trig plays peek-a-boo with my daughter. I caught them doing it...

banditpowdercoat
04-05-2008, 07:42 AM
Christy, How'd you get them blinds into the tank? And do the fish swim in, out the flutes??

LMAO, sorry, couldnt resist

mastergunsg
04-05-2008, 07:48 AM
I have an ongoing battle with my regal tang! every time i add a new frag to the tank it takes me about a week to get it placed where i want it and not where my tang wants it. I have tried to glue things down right away but the tang will get mad and pull relentlessly at the frag. If i just let him rearrange things and me putting them back where i want it everyday after about 5 to 7 days he will tire of the game and leave the new item alone. Its actually quite amazing at how large an item the tang can pick up and move :lol:

banditpowdercoat
04-05-2008, 07:54 AM
I have an ongoing battle with my regal tang! every time i add a new frag to the tank it takes me about a week to get it placed where i want it and not where my tang wants it. I have tried to glue things down right away but the tang will get mad and pull relentlessly at the frag. If i just let him rearrange things and me putting them back where i want it everyday after about 5 to 7 days he will tire of the game and leave the new item alone. Its actually quite amazing at how large an item the tang can pick up and move :lol:

Now THAT would be cool to get on film. "Martha Stweart, as a Tang" Mwahahaha

fishoholic
04-05-2008, 02:13 PM
Our regal tang attacks our snail grabber stick every time we put it in the water. Apparently the stick is enemy number one!

Our sailfin splashes water out of the tank every time he goes to eat the nori.

Our clown tang likes to "surf" on the wave from our Tunnze wavebox.

Our dumb coral beauty wants to be a clown fish and every now and then he tries to kick our saddleback clown out of her anemone, which usually ends with a nip in the coral beauties tail. :neutral:

Last but not least, our queen angel plays peek-a-boo before coming out of the rock to great any guests.

Oh ya, I almost forgot, but the foxface that we used to have used to go to the top of the tank and gulp air all the time.

Hummmm....It seems that the "special" fish have a nack for finding us! :lol:

Lance
04-05-2008, 05:55 PM
My Foxface does the gulping thing, he'll sit up behind the powerhead and grab a mouthful of air and then "chew" on the bubbles as they escape through his mouth. Glad to hear that I'm not the only one with a "special" fish!

My foxface does exactly the same thing.

My coral beauty likes to try to get his head stuck in the powerhead intake.

I used to have a regal tang that attacked anything I put in the tank. Algae scraper, magnet, siphon hose, diatom hose, etc. However, he never went after me. Don't bite the hand that feeds you I guess.

Pan
04-26-2008, 04:27 AM
http://www.zippyvideos.com/202224954629305.html

fkshiu
04-26-2008, 04:55 AM
My blue regal does the same thing as yours, Christie, only at the bottom of the tank close to where he usually sleeps. This causes a weird vibrating noise that can be quite creepy if your sitting in the room by yourself not knowing where it's coming from.

My theory is that it's either some kind of defensive posturing or mating behaviour probably to do with seeing its reflection.