PDA

View Full Version : Yellow MH Bulbs

dthiessen
04-04-2008, 05:41 PM
I just bought two new 150W Megachrome Coral bulbs from J & L. I installed one and it seems very yellow compared to the old bulbs. Is this normal for a new bulb compared to an old one or is it possible I was sent the wrong ones? I bought the tank as a complete system used last August and am not sure how old the other bulbs are. Both the old and new are 14000K. Also, due to the intensity of the new bulbs, my corals are not happy. What should I do to get them used to the new bulbs?

Marlin65
04-04-2008, 05:50 PM
14000 should be more on the blue side. Sounds like you got the wrong bulb.
When you get new bulbs you should raise your light up and lower it down slowly over time.
This is a 14000 bulb brand new to give you an idea on color.
http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg94/hikingtrigger/FishtankSmall010.jpg

Chin_Lee
04-04-2008, 06:02 PM
I had the same problem with the same bulbs. I emailed them and they took it back

dthiessen
04-04-2008, 07:05 PM
I just called J&L and they said someone would call me back. I'll take a picture so that you can see the difference when I get home tonight. I did raise the lights quite a bit so I guess I will wait a few days and see what happens. If I end up sending the bulbs back then what would you recommend that I buy instead?

Eduardo
04-04-2008, 07:53 PM
I also had that same problem. I bought mine from a LFS here in Calgary and exchanged it for a 20K bulb. Maybe a bit too blue but much better than yellow.

Whatigot
04-04-2008, 09:02 PM
I have read on this forum that a halides spectrum can change rather significantly during the "break in period".

brizzo
04-04-2008, 09:47 PM
I have read on this forum that a halides spectrum can change rather significantly during the "break in period".

I know this holds true to security light metal halides lamps!

Another way to acclimate your new bulbs and your livestock, is to raise your lights and put a layer of black fibreglass window screen over the top of the tank. It lowers the intensity very nicely