PDA

View Full Version : LF starfire glass

CRAP! Another Hobby
04-04-2008, 04:48 AM
Howdy!

Does anyone know if any of the glass shops in Calgary sell starfire glass?

What is the cost difference between starfire and regular glass?

justinl
04-04-2008, 05:57 AM
can't tell you where to find it, but i can tell you that the difference in $ between regular glass and starfire is enormous. but still, it is pretty :)

mastergunsg
04-04-2008, 01:51 PM
Ya the prices are ridiculous for local glass shops i was quoted between $32- $36 per square foot from 4 different places here in Vancouver without any work on the edges, glasscages.com sells it for $15. To put that into perspective, for the 4 pieces of starfire glass that i would buy at a local glass shop. I received a quote from sea-star to build and deliver and entire aquarium (starfire 3 sides) for around the same price that included the drilling 6 holes, euro bracing,durso overflow,glass overflow box,all bulkheads,edge working the glass.

Now its all the labor involved in replacing the glass if doing it yourself. IMO if you are doing anything more than just the front of an existing aquarium you would be better off buying a new aquarium from a reputable local aquarium maker in your area.

Rene
04-04-2008, 02:16 PM
Talk to Mitch at Bow Valley aquariums, he has starphire glass at reasonable prices.

CRAP! Another Hobby
04-07-2008, 09:58 PM
Talk to Mitch at Bow Valley aquariums, he has starphire glass at reasonable prices.

To say "he has starfire glass at reasonable prices" is a MAJOR understatement. I went in to see him today (about drilling some holes) and asked about his starfire cost. WOW...took me a second to process what he said and do some math in my head. I don't think there is anyone that can beat his price. Works out to less than $10/sq foot of 10mm thick. I promptly asked for 2 pieces of 4x2 starfire :biggrin::biggrin: and pulled out my mastercard! :biggrin:

If anyone is looking for glasswork (holes/baffles etc) or for panes of glass, I would strongly recommend calling Mitch before wasting a minute calling anyone else!

(also has a great price for drilling holes AND includes the bulkheads in the cost)

Rahim101
04-07-2008, 10:14 PM
Can you PM me some contact info???

Marlin65
04-08-2008, 01:25 AM
To say "he has starfire glass at reasonable prices" is a MAJOR understatement. I went in to see him today (about drilling some holes) and asked about his starfire cost. WOW...took me a second to process what he said and do some math in my head. I don't think there is anyone that can beat his price. Works out to less than $10/sq foot of 10mm thick. I promptly asked for 2 pieces of 4x2 starfire :biggrin::biggrin: and pulled out my mastercard! :biggrin:

If anyone is looking for glasswork (holes/baffles etc) or for panes of glass, I would strongly recommend calling Mitch before wasting a minute calling anyone else!

(also has a great price for drilling holes AND includes the bulkheads in the cost)

Thats a good price I can beat it but I don't sell glass.:biggrin:
Starphire glass should be about double the cost of regular glass.
$10 a square is a good price for 10mm (retail)
The fab work is where the cost is though holes and polish add up.

Marlin65
04-08-2008, 01:29 AM
Unless you are 12mm or thicker you can't really notice the difference so in my opinion unless you go 12mm or more it is not worth the extra cost.

kaitie
04-08-2008, 01:51 AM
quote:

be very careful with mitch, he has tendancys to take your money and blow it and never make the tank. then when you start asking questions a few months down the road he has no cash and no supplies to get the job done, and when he does it he is also known for selling your stuff to the first person there for cheap! he is cheap so he can draw people in and take their cash!
its best to do buisness with a reputable company and pay the difference, at least your getting something in return.
ive heard this from many people and buisnesses, very reliable sources!!!

CRAP! Another Hobby
04-08-2008, 02:25 AM
Unless you are 12mm or thicker you can't really notice the difference so in my opinion unless you go 12mm or more it is not worth the extra cost.

IMO...Sorry...I beg to differ. Since I tore my 90 g apart this weekend, I have the plates of glass leaning against a wall. Each plate is seperated by some cardboard. I pointed out to my fiance how you can see the "greening" of the glass by looking at the color difference of the cardboard as it sticks out the side. Very noticeable difference. Even more noticeable when looking through 4 pieces (40mm)

As for my personal application...I am placing this tank as a "pony wall" to seperate my living room from dining area. It will be set with 1 short end to the wall (2 long and 1 short viewing sides). So for looking THROUGH the entire tank (long side to long side) will amout to 20mm of glass. Worth the money...IMO