PDA

View Full Version : Snail Shells

Oscar
04-04-2008, 12:36 AM
I have 2 blue legged hermits in my tank to keep the hair algae at bay. They are doing an outstanding job.

Each shell they are using are about 0.75" in length. Will the hermits get much bigger? If so where can I get snail shells in the Okanagan? Do hobby/craft shops have a supply?

Telford
04-04-2008, 01:31 AM
I have 2 blue legged hermits in my tank to keep the hair algae at bay. They are doing an outstanding job.

Each shell they are using are about 0.75" in length. Will the hermits get much bigger? If so where can I get snail shells in the Okanagan? Do hobby/craft shops have a supply?

I've got them from Reefkeepers in the past. Other LFS may have them as well. If you can't find any I have extras.

argan
04-04-2008, 01:50 AM
Michael's craft stores have decent ones.

Oscar
04-04-2008, 02:08 AM
Michael's craft stores have decent ones.

Excellant. I think there is one bside Home Despot in Kelowna.

thanks

AaronG
04-04-2008, 02:46 AM
most dollar stores carry them aswell

Oscar
04-04-2008, 07:37 PM
most dollar stores carry them aswell

I will start at the dollar stores first. Thanks

Whatigot
04-04-2008, 09:05 PM
IME, blue leg hermits are preferential to fresh shells.
I have a tonne of shells of all sizes in my tank and they NEVER use them.
You might get lucky though, or maybe I'm unlucky, anyways this has been my experience to date....

brizzo
04-04-2008, 09:44 PM
I have a tonne of shells of all sizes in my tank and they NEVER use them.
You might get lucky though, or maybe I'm unlucky, anyways this has been my experience to date....

I will agree completely with that!!! Last time I put some nice big shells in, literally, within 20 minutes two hermits got into the new shells! :D

PS: Oscar, I just pulled about 10 shells out of my tank last week that none of my hermits were interested in. Some may be the right size for yours! Pm me if you want

Oscar
04-04-2008, 09:48 PM

So does a snail need to be imported as an offering to the hermit?

Nazerine: Were your shells "fresh"?

Interior_Reef
04-05-2008, 12:05 AM
I can give you a few extras, i have some larger ones in the tanks here. :)

Oscar
04-05-2008, 02:00 AM

Thanks. I only need a few, not sure how long these guys have been in their current homes. I will give you a call next week.

brizzo
04-05-2008, 04:34 AM
So does a snail need to be imported as an offering to the hermit?

Nazerine: Were your shells "fresh"?

Yup, they were very fresh (and completely white/brown). I got them off ebay after hurricane katrina. Some guy collected empty shells that ended up inland. I still have a big box of larger shells.. too big for my hermits

argan
04-05-2008, 06:01 AM
if you get them from a craft/dollar store make sure you boil them before you use them. gets rid of any left over crud

Oscar
04-07-2008, 07:54 PM
I discovered last night that we had some old shells around the house. I boiled these up and popped them into the tank.

Within just a couple of minutes both hermits were checking them out. Conical shells are of great interest while round shells are given only a cursory once over.

One of the hermits crawled out of his current shell and test drove one of our offerings. It was apparently too large for his liking (also did not have a wide screen TV). So now I know what to look for. This is my first job as a realtor I have discovered that clients can be very fickle.

Oscar
04-14-2008, 04:33 PM

Thanks for the shells Chris, nice colour selection. One of the hermits immediately moved into a new home, this one was probably 3 X the size of his previous shell. The 2nd hermit is still thinking about moving, constantly comes back to the shells to check them out.

I will talk to you later about some more LR and a couple more hermits.