PDA

View Full Version : Corals to Cover Bare Bottom

Jaws
04-03-2008, 11:08 PM
I wanted to go with a sand bottom in my new tank but it looks like there's going to be too much flow for sand so I'm considering a couple other options. One option is to go bare bottom and the other is to go with crushed coral or something similar. My question is, if I were to go bare bottom, what corals could I place on the glass that would encrust, or multiply? I like zoos but they can get out of control in good tank conditions so I'm thinking corals like ricordea, acans, favia, etc. Does anyone know how these would fare on a bare bottom tank? Any other suggestions? Thanks for your help.

Aquattro
04-03-2008, 11:18 PM
Acros. I have a whole bunch you can have....

bv_reefer
04-03-2008, 11:25 PM
i'm gonna take my sand out pretty soon and do the same thing but i'm thinking about putting a sheet of eggcrate on the bottom instead of bare bottom tank not 100% yet though. as for corala it'll be all acros millis and montis.

Jaws
04-03-2008, 11:43 PM
Thanks guys. I think I'll take you up on that Brad. lol. I'm planning on making this one a mixed tank though so I'm more interested in what soft and LPS corals will encrust or multiply on a bare bottom tank. No worries though. The upper shelf will be stuffed as much as I possibly can with SPS.

bv_reefer
04-03-2008, 11:46 PM
what lighting are you gonna be using? just wondering what others are using for a coral crammed tank..

Jaws
04-03-2008, 11:49 PM
14K 400W MH's. Two of them.

bv_reefer
04-03-2008, 11:52 PM
oh ok i'm using 1x400 watt 20k interested to see what growth levels you get from the softies, as mine hate the high light

untamed
04-04-2008, 12:08 AM
Not in my tank...but I've seen others where the bare bottom is covered with green star polyps or zoos.

christyf5
04-04-2008, 03:40 AM
I find that it interesting, as you run out of space for various items, the "barebottom" gets filled up pretty darn fast. Currently I have a ricordea rock, 4 clams, a birdsnest colony, a pavona colony and a gorgonian. Granted there is a wee bit of space left but I think with a bit of effort I'll have that filled up soon :wink:

Der_Iron_Chef
04-04-2008, 03:46 AM
I think GSP would look amazing covering the bottom of a tank....especially with a wavemaker. Oooooooh.

bv_reefer
04-04-2008, 03:50 AM
I find that it interesting, as you run out of space for various items, the "barebottom" gets filled up pretty darn fast. Currently I have a ricordea rock, 4 clams, a birdsnest colony, a pavona colony and a gorgonian. Granted there is a wee bit of space left but I think with a bit of effort I'll have that filled up soon :wink:
really it's taking me while to cover my tank, thats why i'm going with all the monster colonys as they take up a fair amount of space, but then again it looks stunning when finished, if theres such thing as ''finished'' stocking sps lol

mark
04-04-2008, 04:24 AM
Found when first setup the BB tank if I tried to place anything on the bottom would just slide around. Once the coralline started things stuck better.

For a GSP bottomed tank look here (http:http://216.187.96.54/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=35197//) no sure if started BB though

Jaws
04-05-2008, 01:01 AM
Green Star Polyps are nice but they can quickly multiply and take over your entire tank if you're not careful. I really like the idea of ricordea but I wonder if an acan or something else would even take to a barebottom.

Der_Iron_Chef
04-05-2008, 01:02 AM
I would also think it would take a REALLY long time for acans to grow over the entire bottom...

Aquattro
04-05-2008, 01:13 PM
Coraline will be enough, you'll get used to it.