PDA

View Full Version : starting up nano; finally..

bv_reefer
04-03-2008, 05:08 AM
the reef looks lonely all by itself so i'm ready to start up a nano right beside it:mrgreen: (well at least when mik 101 comes and picks up the cichlids, any day now:wink:), just had a few questions in terms of equipment though:

for a nano i'm think that crushed coral would be most convenient in terms of maintenance right? sand would constantly clog the filter and be a pain i'm guessing?

for lights should i go with >
http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/store_pages/product-info.php?product_ID=pc-al0909 or >http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/store_pages/product-info.php?product_ID=PC-AL2028 , by the way it'll be fish only, maybe a few inverts-

it's only a standard 10 gallon, so for filtration should a Hagen Aquaclear 30/50 be sufficient? (it'll be skimmerless)
for flow what would be sufficient? koralia 1 or mj-600?

super7
04-03-2008, 05:29 AM
the bulbs for both of those fixtures are really expensive. Maybe go with something like the Nova Extreme 18 inch T5. it is a 40watt fixture.

bv_reefer
04-03-2008, 05:33 AM
i was looking for an 18'' nova t5, but can't seem to find them at any lfs', the smallest being 24''

Jason McK
04-03-2008, 05:38 AM
I would also stick to sugar sand. A Lot of nano gobbies are sand sifters and CC isn't good for them

J

bv_reefer
04-03-2008, 05:50 AM
ya i will end up putting those eventually, but how should i ''enoculate/seed'' it using my existing reef tank? rocks, sand? i know putting water is crappy as it barely helps and just ends up polluting the system..

Der_Iron_Chef
04-03-2008, 06:00 AM
For a fish-only nano, I think either of those lights would be just fine. I wouldn't use the Hagen/Aquaclear filter at all, either. It will just take up space in the tank, and won't really do much for you. If you do a small water change each week, that should be all you really need, as far as going skimmerless is concerned.

As well, you might look into the Koralia Nano that was recently released. It's smaller and might really be all you need in a 10G.

Mik_101
04-03-2008, 06:01 AM
it's only a standard 10 gallon, so for filtration should a Hagen Aquaclear 30/50 be sufficient? (it'll be skimmerless)
for flow what would be sufficient? koralia 1 or mj-600?

i would go with a Koralia nano as far as flow. For skimming i would use this. http://oceanaquatics.com/store/product/1467/Rio-Nano-Skimmer/

brizzo
04-03-2008, 06:38 AM
Koralia nano is a very nice unit, I just recently added one to my 24g. I find the MJ pumps add alot of noise to the tank, and the koralia is almost silent in the water. And it has a very low power consumption too (3w or something?)

mseepman
04-03-2008, 03:54 PM
i was looking for an 18'' nova t5, but can't seem to find them at any lfs', the smallest being 24''

OA carries them on their site.

http://oceanaquatics.com/store/product/2284/Nova-Extreme-T5-18%22-Saltwater/

bv_reefer
04-03-2008, 11:34 PM
ya i'm definitely much more impressed by my koralia than my maxi-jet, prefer the distribution of flow that koralias give out, so flow will definitely be a koralia nano, but drew you mentioned to not even bother with a aquaclear why is that? you think water changes will be enough

bv_reefer
04-03-2008, 11:44 PM
i would go with a Koralia nano as far as flow. For skimming i would use this. http://oceanaquatics.com/store/product/1467/Rio-Nano-Skimmer/ i don't know mik thos things look pretty useless, i meen a skimmer for $30?:wink: you can see why i'd be skeptical about it. totally missed the 18'' model on oa.com thanks again

anyways all equipment aside anyone have any experience with that Caribsea Arag-Alive Special Grade Reef Sand, does it actually promote rapid cycling or just a bluff, should i just stick with regular dry substrate..

kwirky
04-04-2008, 12:41 AM
i recommend against the 9" fixture from my own experience with one. The bulbs don't last long and they're expensive and hard to find. A cheap little T5 fixture or even a home depot T5 light would be fine (fixture from home depot, bulb from LFS).

i had a nano-skimmer. it went in the garbage cuz that's what it is lol.

As for the HOB filter you could get a rather large one and fill it with liverock. You throttle it way back in speed and you've just increased your tank's water volume by 25% ;)

bv_reefer
04-04-2008, 01:38 AM
ya maybe i'll just go with that home depot T5 fixture probably the cheapest.
lol i thought so, the nano skimmers are the next thing to skimmerless, really thats too bad the 9'' looks so compact and looks good, i'd think that pc's would last relatively long, o well t5 it is

justinl
04-04-2008, 02:02 AM
not all nano skimmers suck. If you're willing to dish out the dough, the nano tunze is a pretty kick a$$ skimmer. and the deltec line is never a bad choice either. you get what you pay for.

bv_reefer
04-04-2008, 02:14 AM
thats the two i considered, the tunze nano, and aqua c nano, other than that all this other nano crap doesn't impress, i remember hearing specifically at one lfs that the aqua c nano has more power than the tunze models, hard to say which one i'll go for.

on to paint, which paint do you guys recommend for the backside, and spray or roller, i've heard that roller is the better way to go about it, true?

super7
04-04-2008, 03:15 AM

On Ocean Aquatics website they say that they have them. Give Wendell a shout maybe.

mseepman
04-04-2008, 03:51 AM
I personally ordered the 18" Nova Xtreme today...it said "available in 1 day" so I'm hoping thats true.

bv_reefer
04-04-2008, 04:35 AM
what are you gonna be running the fixture over? it's 2x20 watt if i remember correctly

Boomboy
04-04-2008, 05:12 AM
well ive got a nano going to a 20g and let me just say
1. get a light that is 20" why so that you can actually have it held up on the tank. if its a FOWLR then not really much light is needed but garenteed your a going to put softies in at least. so get a fixture with at least 2 lightbulbs in it, one for actinic and one for 10k
2. yes skimmerless is fine, in fact i think better, why because you replace all your needed nutrients with the water change. ONCE A WEEK, must stay on top of that.
3. get a HOB that is way over rated for it like a 70 or even 100 Aquaclear, lots of room for a conversion into a fuge, the 70 you can get a slower impeller for it the 100 you have to cut some off.
4. get sand dont get CC.
5. make sure you have enough rock for it a ratio of 1.5 at least. i have 35 pounds in my 20. i would add more if i had space. i cant think of anything else. dont go cheap with the light you will want to upgrade it after even if you have a reef already.
oh yeah and dont run an undergravel filter if you do, im not sure if you do, and get the kor nano. definatly the best. and cheap online too.

bv_reefer
04-04-2008, 06:22 AM
well ive got a nano going to a 20g and let me just say
1. get a light that is 20" why so that you can actually have it held up on the tank. if its a FOWLR then not really much light is needed but garenteed your a going to put softies in at least. so get a fixture with at least 2 lightbulbs in it, one for actinic and one for 10k
2. yes skimmerless is fine, in fact i think better, why because you replace all your needed nutrients with the water change. ONCE A WEEK, must stay on top of that.
3. get a HOB that is way over rated for it like a 70 or even 100 Aquaclear, lots of room for a conversion into a fuge, the 70 you can get a slower impeller for it the 100 you have to cut some off.
4. get sand dont get CC.
5. make sure you have enough rock for it a ratio of 1.5 at least. i have 35 pounds in my 20. i would add more if i had space. i cant think of anything else. dont go cheap with the light you will want to upgrade it after even if you have a reef already.
oh yeah and dont run an undergravel filter if you do, im not sure if you do, and get the kor nano. definatly the best. and cheap online too.

thanks alot, that pretty much sums it all up for me, all but question...what exterior paint is recommended for backgrounds? i'm trying to find a thread about that on RC, but can't seem to find it. on my reef i let the coralline dominate the back and sides but for a nano i'm thinking a deeper blue would be nice;

mseepman
04-04-2008, 03:54 PM
what are you gonna be running the fixture over? it's 2x20 watt if i remember correctly

I just bought a 16" starfire cube from Hurley in Calgary and I'm setting up my first nano in my office. I am doing a DIY light which will include a 70W MH and in some way the 18" Nova Extreme X2. I haven't decided whether I will take the fixture apart in order to put it over my tank or not. I just modded my Aqualight Pro to include 4 x T5HO and I like the light combo a lot more than PC's. My SPS corals agree with the additional light too.

Just FYI, the 18" fixture will stretch to fit over 20" as it has prop rods built into it.