PDA

View Full Version : frags in calgary

kgb
03-05-2003, 05:36 AM
hey guys does any one have any frags for sale?
anything hard corals, sps, sodties,zooanthids any thing

wayner
03-05-2003, 03:11 PM
I have sps frags, if your interested, I have Bright blue (pulchra?), bright green gemmiffera, Blue tip stag, tri-color acro (purple with green polyps), just like Mt Dew Mans, Solid Yellow Acro, Candy Cane, Brown Montipora Cap,
Millepora Colony which is changing to Blue under my Radium, also have a Squamosa clam (4")if you know of anyone that's interested.

AJ_77
03-05-2003, 03:38 PM
KGB - I PM'd you.

AJ_77
03-06-2003, 07:14 PM
The PM seems to be stuck in my outbox. (HELLLLOOOOOOO!!) Why don't you drop me an email :

reefs@shaw.ca

L8R dude,

Canadian Man
03-06-2003, 09:13 PM
The PM seems to be stuck in my outbox. Why don't you drop me an email :

reefs@shaw.ca

L8R dude,

Alan, Pm's will stay in your outbox till someone reads the message :D

AJ_77
03-06-2003, 10:14 PM
Oh, so THAT's what Titus meant...

:oops:

doh!

BC_Grl
03-07-2003, 02:52 AM
Em- are you bringing any corals over?

AJ- don't worry, I sort of freaked out when it happened to me...

AJ_77
03-07-2003, 03:26 AM
Em- are you bringing any corals over?

Do you mean, is Em bringing any ZOOS?? :D

:mrgreen:

kgb
03-07-2003, 03:28 AM
hey em do you have any realy nice zoos

Samw
03-07-2003, 03:29 AM
Apparently, zoo's can kill.

AJ_77
03-07-2003, 03:32 AM
I could probably snap off a piece of some zoos that Emily gave me - it was bigger than we were trying for - oops. She's probably tapped out for now because of that...

hehe... zooooosss... killlll.... What the heck you talking about, Sam??

:?

christyf5
03-07-2003, 03:35 AM
Hey Alan, do you have any spares of those bullseye ones you posted in kgb's thread?? :wink:

Christy :)

AJ_77
03-07-2003, 03:44 AM
For you? I'll have to see if they've anchored onto the branch rock that I put them up against. But yeah, if they look ready, I'll invite Deb over for some surgery and we'll see if we can separate some.

No wait, I've seen her work... :shock: We'll play it by ear. :wink:

(And, you've talked to her about this, right? She doesn't like to be volunteered for muling corals without prior knowledge...)

Samw
03-07-2003, 03:53 AM
hehe... zooooosss... killlll.... What the heck you talking about, Sam??

You haven't heard? Some zoo's killed a dog:

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=158663

Not really sure what these toxic zoo's look like. My fish ate all of my red zoo's with no ill-effects.

christyf5
03-07-2003, 04:04 AM
Your fish have developed a natural immunity to the zoos over bajillions of years (well ok, not bajillions but say thousands +). They can eat them with no problem. Dogs however aren't exposed to zoos as often and have no immunity to them. I think most of the zoos we have in our tanks have a certain amount of the toxin in them which is released in the mucus. The problem arises when you get the mucus in cuts on your hands or wipe it on your mouth/eyes. Then you got issues. If you continue reading that thread someone mentions that Anthony Calfo has been "poisoned" 3 times while he was fragging zoos, each time he ended up with a numbess near the area he touched with the mucus (towel with mucus on it and he wiped his lips, lips went numb).

While yes, zoos can be very toxic and contain one of the most potent toxins in the world, many other things in our tanks, ie lionfish, frogfish, stonefish etc etc. are also highly poisonous but that doesn't stop people from keeping them in their tanks. Heck, anemones sting, most LPS corals can pack a real wallop but everyone has them. While yes I realize they won't kill you but they can do some serious damage. The fact that zoos are toxic isn't anything new, people are just not educated. That thread is an excellent means of educating everyone on the subject. Our tanks contain many hazardous creatures but its all in the way we handle them.

AJ_77
03-07-2003, 04:04 AM
That is totally nasty, Sam. That is valuable info that we should all be aware of, no sh#$.

Anyone wanting to unload their killer zoos should get in touch with me immediately.

Christy - do you have any sand polyps? I think these are starting to spread:
http://members.shaw.ca/reefs/sand_polyps.jpg

(Killed a dog? Yeeeesh... :shock: )

Canadian Man
03-07-2003, 04:07 AM
Are those the yellows Alan? If so looking great!

christyf5
03-07-2003, 04:12 AM
Ooh those are cool. They're different from the ones Em has right? I have some of the orange centered ones she has.

Dang it where is she anyway? :P

AJ_77
03-07-2003, 04:20 AM
Yup Jonny, Yellow Sand Polyps (best ID I could find). They have turned out really nice for sure, thanks again. :wink:

I'd still like some regular Yellow Polyps though.

Christy - yes different than the "orange" ones from Deb. I've got some of those too. They're also doing well now.

These yellow ones are neat. :wink: (we need more icons/smilies)

EmilyB
03-07-2003, 04:37 AM
No wait, I've seen her work... :shock: We'll play it by ear. :wink:

(And, you've talked to her about this, right? She doesn't like to be volunteered for muling corals without prior knowledge...)

:lol: :lol:

Hey, that was before I saw Wendell in action with the chisel...... :wink:

Let it be said, Christy gets no bullseyes before me.... :lol:

EmilyB
03-07-2003, 04:45 AM
What's really funny is I brought home zoo frags and I can feel breathing down my neck....... :lol: I've got like 9 polyps per specimen .... :roll:

Anyone got a pic of the ones we got from Adam/Wendell Christy?

Mine are still in the 10g, I can't get a decent photo..

christyf5
03-07-2003, 04:49 AM
My zoo,

The big rock I already had. The dime sized green/brown ones and the ones sort of in the back are wendells. The pinchyfaced ones are from Adam. They've come out now. I'll try to get a pic.

http://www3.telus.net/seamonkey68/myzoo2b.jpg

AJ_77
03-07-2003, 04:57 AM
Those green ones are COOL! Did I mention my tiny babies?

http://members.shaw.ca/reefs/mini_polyps.jpg

christyf5
03-07-2003, 05:00 AM
Awww, they're cute :lol:

BC_Grl
03-07-2003, 05:11 AM
anyone wanting to part with a frag? :D

christyf5
03-07-2003, 05:21 AM
Better pics:

Zoos from Adam:
http://www3.telus.net/seamonkey68/adamszoos.jpg

Zoos from Wendell:
http://www3.telus.net/seamonkey68/wendellszoos.jpg

You'll note that they're practically the same :roll:

AJ_77
03-07-2003, 05:30 AM
Oooohhh, Jeanna's gonna be knocking at your door!

:wink:

BC_Grl
03-07-2003, 06:04 AM
Oh Adam... do you have any zoo frags? I had no idea Adam had these...

Christy, these are so cool!!(drool).

Bob I
03-07-2003, 03:06 PM
Could we maybe add these to the trading equation? These are the zoos I paid $80.00 for (dummy that I am). I have placed rubble all around, and they are growing nicely onto that. I would sure like some of those Bullseye ones Alan has (and some other nice ones he has) :wink:

http://members.shaw.ca/rcipema/zoos.JPG

AJ_77
03-07-2003, 04:50 PM
Eighty bucks?!? Yowch!! :shock:

For trading purposes, zoos = zoos. And you're in a bit of a line for the red bullseye ones. (Those are chick magnets!) :wink:

We'll talk... I see a bright future as a zoanthid farmer.

BC_Grl
03-08-2003, 12:52 AM
Well AJ, since you are bragging... how about sending some of the red ones my way? :lol:

christyf5
03-08-2003, 12:53 AM
I get those first!!! :twisted:

:wink:

AJ_77
03-08-2003, 01:27 AM
Let it be said, Christy gets no bullseyes before me.... :lol:

I hope you guys can work this out amicably. If not, can I watch?!?

:lol:

:wink: Of course the nicest ones are the smallest patch... :?

AJ_77
03-08-2003, 04:34 AM
My zoo,
The big rock I already had. http://www3.telus.net/seamonkey68/myzoo2b.jpg

Christy, that big rock of yours has the coolest ones by far! I'd be happy to trade you for a few of those. If, of course, arrangements can be made... :wink: (For transportation of course.)

Bob's are pretty cool also, I think. they're quite small from what I remember. but he says they're spreading well.

christyf5
03-08-2003, 04:36 AM
Deal!!! :D

Bob I
03-08-2003, 01:57 PM
Bob's are pretty cool also, I think. they're quite small from what I remember. but he says they're spreading well.

Actually my colony is quite large. It has grown well beyond the original rock. If I manage to separate all the stuff it has grown onto, I will have frags coming out the wazoo. :wink:

You all might have a look at a zoanthid slide show in the March issue of Reekkeeping, which is now online. You will find it on Reefcentral. I don't know how to publish those URL's. Anyway some awesome zoos. I may just become a zookeeper if I can find some of those. :D

Bob I
03-09-2003, 01:00 AM
^
Bump

christyf5
03-09-2003, 01:04 AM
Wow, that slideshow is awesome. Thanks for posting it Bob!

AJ_77
03-09-2003, 04:46 AM
WOW.... my zoos look very plain now. Yikes!
:shock:
How does a person find stuff like that??

BC_Grl
03-09-2003, 07:02 AM
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-03/reefslides/index.htm

HOLY COW!!! That was just awesome!! The blues were the best. Now I really have to find some hehe...

Bob I
03-09-2003, 03:01 PM
I am with you guys on this. Zoos are the easiest thing to keep, they do not require a lot of expensive lighting, or perfect water conditions. They just grow and grow. They are very colorful (especially under Actinic lighting) A person can have a beautiful reef tank using zoos without going to great expense.

I hope some of you will join me in instituting a "Search for Zoanthids" campaign. 8)

I think KGB was right all along. He has been bugging us for Zoos for months now. :oops:

Here is another Zoanthid site;
http://reef.esmartweb.com/polyps.htm

Bob I
03-09-2003, 10:24 PM
^
Bump

AJ_77
03-09-2003, 10:43 PM
I hope some of you will join me in instituting a "Search for Zoanthids" campaign. 8)

Sounds good Bob, if we come across unique specimens we could let the others know, or if they're at a retail establishment GRAB THEM! I know the cost can get prohibitive, but maybe we can pool our resources.

If for example I found some pink or purple ones (something exceptional) and they were 40 or 50 bucks, I'd like to know I could count on splitting the purchase with someone, or sometwo. Granting the rock is spittable and the purchase can equitably divided... That would put a new batch of zoos in 3 tanks for maybe 15 bucks each.

Multiple colonies for propagation purposes, and they spread well.

Bob I
03-09-2003, 11:27 PM

Sounds good Bob, if we come across unique specimens we could let the others know, or if they're at a retail establishment GRAB THEM! I know the cost can get prohibitive, but maybe we can pool our resources.

If for example I found some pink or purple ones (something exceptional) and they were 40 or 50 bucks, I'd like to know I could count on splitting the purchase with someone, or sometwo. Granting the rock is spittable and the purchase can equitably divided... That would put a new batch of zoos in 3 tanks for maybe 15 bucks each.

Multiple colonies for propagation purposes, and they spread well.

Sounds like a good idea. I have as yet to find anything online. We will just have to look at our local dealers. I will say now though that 80 bucks is out. :wink:

kgb
03-11-2003, 01:26 AM
hey didnt i purpose this idea earlier :)
but yeah that sounds like a good idea
also on reef central .com in the magazine section they have a slide show of zoos they are really nice so if you want to see some amazing one look there

EmilyB
03-11-2003, 06:12 AM
Did you bother to read the thread kgb? :?

Bob I
03-11-2003, 07:29 PM
Did you bother to read the thread kgb? :?

He either does not read , or does not understand. If he was not so big I would slap him around a bit. :D :D :D :wink: :shock:

kgb
03-12-2003, 09:57 PM
uhhhh i will go with some of the first and some of the second bob
:) havent had much time to read all the stuff do to my gf surgery.
any ways you can find people in the usa ( i know a few) that will send some nice peices for relativly cheap (they are all as nice and wild looking as that slid show ) the only problem i know of is you might have to get a CITIES permit...... so some one would have to know some one in the usa just cross the border to collect you lovely corals and then pick them up ....

ok if that doesnt make sense its because i have been at school for 6 hours and have another 6 hours to go so ....
iam going to leave now hehe :roll:

Quinn
03-12-2003, 11:10 PM
12 hours of school? holy smokes, what are you doing, SAMS "Teach yourself neurosurgery in 24 hours"?

i often wonder if you couldn't just throw the coral into a rather tight bag and ship it fedex overnight. do they really open every package? and will they know what it is? how can they tell whether it's restricted or not.