PDA

View Full Version : Cheap ways to boost Mg?

sharuq1
04-03-2008, 03:27 AM
Is it possible to use epsom salts to boost the Mg in my wc water? If not, any other ways I could boost my Mg?

Joe Reefer
04-03-2008, 04:23 AM
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=26590

mark
04-03-2008, 04:24 AM
Read that Epson salt by itself can cause a buildup of sulfate where as Magnesium chloride hexahydrate (available fr littlesilvermax) even mixed with Epson salt is a better choice.

Snappy
04-03-2008, 04:48 AM
I mix my own and it's pretty cost effective.

sharuq1
04-03-2008, 06:00 PM
How do you do it and what are you mixing and where can I get some Snappy? I pretty much want to just do this in a 5gallon pail, as that is my usual wc amount.

jasond
04-03-2008, 07:49 PM
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=26590

I second this. Cheap and effective.

Snappy
04-03-2008, 10:59 PM
I second this. Cheap and effective.
What he said although I just buy the mg chloride and mix in my own mg sulfate (epsom salts) but he does sell the premixed mg which is what I would recommend for you. I try and keep my mg at about 1400 ppm. It is a very easy item to dose.:smile:

littlesilvermax
04-04-2008, 01:37 AM
What he said although I just buy the mg chloride and mix in my own mg sulfate (epsom salts) but he does sell the premixed mg which is what I would recommend for you. I try and keep my mg at about 1400 ppm. It is a very easy item to dose.:smile:

1400 is a good number.

I aim for 1380.:wink:

Myka
04-04-2008, 03:18 AM
I have used epsom salt, but I now use Kent liquid Magnesium. It's pretty darn cheap I'd say.

atcguy
04-04-2008, 03:21 AM
put some fauna marine mag in your cacium reactor 10% of your media.. keeps my levels perfect

sharuq1
04-05-2008, 12:50 AM
I haven't got a calcium reactor. Up until a month or so ago my Calcium levels were just fine doing water changes, but lately they have been slipping and I have not been able to get anything but precipitate in my wc water using suppliments, so my best guess is that I need more Mg (I know, buy a test kit first, I will, :lol:) I think I will try out this Mg you guys are talking about and order some in soon as I have some spare cash. Anyone interested in doing a group order? I'm in Red Deer.

littlesilvermax
04-05-2008, 03:55 AM
I haven't got a calcium reactor. Up until a month or so ago my Calcium levels were just fine doing water changes, but lately they have been slipping and I have not been able to get anything but precipitate in my wc water using suppliments, so my best guess is that I need more Mg (I know, buy a test kit first, I will, :lol:) I think I will try out this Mg you guys are talking about and order some in soon as I have some spare cash. Anyone interested in doing a group order? I'm in Red Deer.

I see, you use IO.

Precipitate, frustration, been there, done that.

I boost my IO made water by about 180 ppm, that is about 250 ml of magnesium for 40 gallons of newly made up water.

Bring up your magnesium and your calcium and alky will be easy to maintain.

FWIW, I don't really suggest it, but I don't test for magnesium anymore with IO. I just make up some water for a water change, add the magnesium, add the calcium add the salt, wait a day then do a water change.

My levels have been very good for years. I test once a month, and I have no problem maintaining 430cal 9 dkh, even though I have HUGE pieces of SPS and clams.:wink:

Doug
04-05-2008, 01:50 PM
I follow Bens formula also and my mag stays at around 1300ppm. I only test occasionally.