PDA

View Full Version : solaris LED

kwirky
04-02-2008, 04:59 PM
I was in a store yesterday and saw a solaris unit running. I have to say it looked very unimpressive and I was kinda disappointed. I was expecting this big thing with super bright LEDS but instead it's REAL tiny. It was the 4' fixture. It also kinda "checker-boarded" the tank with the various coloured LED's. The colours didn't mix that well.

Anybody out there who has one and would like to argue otherwise?

VFX
04-02-2008, 05:12 PM
Was it on display over a reef tank?

J&L have had one running on an empty tank for a while now... only thing that impressed me was the lack of heat coming off the unit.

Hard to judge properly until I see it properly set up & over someone's reef.

VFX.

kwirky
04-02-2008, 05:25 PM
yeah it was on a softie tank. it looked kinda wierd because one coral would be redish, one blueish, depending on which bulb it was sitting under.

VFX
04-02-2008, 05:28 PM
Sounds awful!

Not a great way to persuade a potential customer to drop $2k on one! :lol:

Nate
04-02-2008, 05:56 PM
That is a g series you were looking at...order an i series and you will see mega difference...

skylord
04-02-2008, 06:06 PM
It may be that they have their light settings way off balance. The only way I see color that way is if it is filtering through a rock and a blue is able to shine on the sand and nothing else. Move the rock just a 1/4 inch and that ends. When I was playing with the light more I could make them do all kinds of things that didnt look very good, like lower the white light to 50% and leave the rest high......to many examples but if they are looking bad on a display that shop isnt going to sell many.They need to spend some time with their set up.

Scott

skylord
04-02-2008, 06:08 PM
That is a g series you were looking at...order an i series and you will see mega difference...

I have seen a couple of G series that look good but I was also wondering if that might be the issue. The differnce between the G and the I is huge.

Scott

Nate
04-02-2008, 06:19 PM
Although I do have customers with SPS under the g series and decent growth!

Nate