PDA

View Full Version : Coralife 65 Floor Flooder

b-diddy
04-02-2008, 01:29 PM
Hey everyone.

Not sure if I'm posting this in the right spot - sorry if I'm not.

I purchased a coralife 65 a few months ago and this week it decided to blow up and flood my hardwood. I've sent Coralife an e-mail asking them what they're going to do for me and haven't heard a response back.

It seemed to be working fine before this but was a little finicky with the adjustment knob. Anyone heard anything about these in the past?

Ugh. I'm hoping this doesn't make it to small claims court but but I haven't heard back by Friday it looks like it'll end up going that route.

Who makes a good Protein Skimmer that I should look at for my 50 gallon. It'll have to be a hang on. I'm on a bit of a budget so bang for my buck suggestions would be great!

Thanks everyone!

Myka
04-02-2008, 02:18 PM
You won't win in court, but good luck trying. A ballast can burn up and burn your house down, and you won't win in court. The only thing that will cover your butt is homeowner's insurance, and it has to cover aquariums in particular. If you don't have that, then you just got "lesson learned".

But ya, those Coralife skimmers are well known to flood floors.

Being a carpenter by trade, if your hardwood was installed properly, and it is high quality hardwood finished on four sides (not the cheap $3-5/ft stuff) then once it dries completely (like a couple weeks) then any warping should go back for the most part. It will probably still be noticable when pointed out though. If it stained, then it's not finished on four sides, and that won't come out.

wetcoast
04-02-2008, 02:42 PM
How did the skimmer blow up? Did the chamber crack? Or just overflow?

Joe Reefer
04-02-2008, 03:23 PM
Good Luck! :turn-l: :rolleyes:

Pier Pressure
04-02-2008, 03:24 PM
Sorry to hear about your luck. I had a 150 gallon blow up a couple months ago so I know where you are coming from.

Good luck getting anything for damages. You will be lucky if you get your money back on the tank. No court is going to hold the manufacturer liable for any damage to your home. You agree to take the risk when you purchase an aquarium. FYI save yourself the $100 - $200 (depending on how much you are claiming) filing fee in small claims court.

Parker
04-02-2008, 03:48 PM
Floods are inevitable in this hobby, everyone ussualy has at least one. You have to learn from your mistakes and move on, Me, I'm a slow learner and I have had several. With the CSS 65 you might want to drill a hole in the collection cup and put a drain line into a bucket. It will buy you more time when the skimmer does act up..and they do. Be very carefull drilling the hole as the cup could crack on you.

b-diddy
04-03-2008, 02:55 AM
If they're selling a product with a defect that is known, common, or regularily occurring they're negligent in continuing to sell it.

"Negligence is a legal concept usually used to achieve compensation for injuries (not accidents). Negligence is a type of tort or delict (also known as a civil wrong). However, the concept is also sometimes used in criminal law as well. "Negligence" is generally defined as conduct that is culpable because it falls short of what a reasonable person would do to protect another individual from a foreseeable risks of harm. Through civil litigation, if an injured person proves that another person acted negligently to cause his injury, he can recover damages to compensate for his harm. Proving a case for neligence can potentially entitle the injured plaintiff to compensation for harm to their body, property, mental well-being, financial status, or intimate relationships. However, because negligence cases are very fact-specific, this general definition does not fully explain the concept of when the law will require one person to compensate another for losses caused by accidental injury. Further, the law of negligence at common law is only one aspect of the law of liability. Although resulting damages must be proved in order to recover compensation in a negligence action, the nature and extent of those damages are not the primary focus of negligence cases."

Would a reasonable person sell a product that was known to malfunction? Of course not.

They would be found liable in court and I work in the industry - I'm not looking for legal advice on a fish forum; just wanted some input if this was a common problem or not.

Any help would be appreciated.

b-diddy
04-03-2008, 02:56 AM
How did the skimmer blow up? Did the chamber crack? Or just overflow?

It just filled up and overflowed. No warning. No explanation.

This wasn't the most expensive skimmer on the planet but I didn't expect it to cost me 5000 sq feet of hardwood!

:biggrin:

Der_Iron_Chef
04-03-2008, 03:25 AM
They would be found liable in court and I work in the industry - I'm not looking for legal advice on a fish forum; just wanted some input if this was a common problem or not.

Well, well, well. I'm not sure if you know how snooty that sounded!

Anyway. I have owned the CSS 65 myself, and it flooded on me several times before I ditched it and bought something MUCH better. I'm guessing (and it's a fairly good guess) that it flooded because the water level in my tank fluctuated too much. I didn't have an auto-top off unit, and this unit requires a stable water level. Any discernible change in that level, and what you've tweaked on the nob isn't going to work how you want it to work anymore.

That would be my guess as to why yours flooded. I'm no lawyer (no, just a simple-minded youth worker), but I'm pretty sure they could come back and say that you just didn't maintain the proper conditions for it to work correctly.

bv_reefer
04-03-2008, 03:38 AM
wow everytime i'm minutes away from going and buying the css 65/125, i remember all the complaints about flooding and i quickly shy away, seriuously they gotta get that fixed, ridiculous

b-diddy
04-03-2008, 04:41 AM
Well, well, well. I'm not sure if you know how snooty that sounded!

LOL! You're right! It DID sound snooty! Still amazed I got educated by a bunch of Ally McBeal fans in a fish forum!!!

Thanks for the post - and for bringing me back to earth!

:biggrin:

Keri
04-03-2008, 05:09 AM
You know, you're Right that they shouldn't sell a product that doesn't always work but....people will still buy it.

*sigh*

I have a coralife SS 65.... I'm just saving my pennies for a better one.

Der_Iron_Chef
04-03-2008, 05:37 AM
I've never actually seen Ally McBeal.

Keri
04-03-2008, 05:40 AM

No? You should call my mom, she could probably give you a summary of every episode....
:razz:

b-diddy
04-03-2008, 01:45 PM
You know, you're Right that they shouldn't sell a product that doesn't always work but....people will still buy it.

*sigh*

I have a coralife SS 65.... I'm just saving my pennies for a better one.

....and I'm one of those "people"! I figured a protein skimmer would be a protein skimmer.... but definitely cheaped out in this category so I could get some better critters. What are you going to buy next Keri? I want something failsafe!

b-diddy
04-03-2008, 01:47 PM

Horrible horrible show with some 25 year old anorexic lawyer woman who spends more time worrying about her dating life than her cases. I hope it's not still televised but I'm sure there are re-runs floating around on some no-name craptastic channel somewhere.

-Snoot-Diddy

digital-audiophile
04-03-2008, 02:13 PM
Any skimmer has the potential to overflow if not used properly.

The way I see it ... keping a glass box full of water, you are bound to dump water on the floor at some point in its lifespan.

DanG
04-03-2008, 04:58 PM
There's a couple of skimmers made by reef octopus that are HOB.

robzilla
04-03-2008, 05:03 PM
i had the css and also had some floods....
i run the remora pro hang on skimmer and it can't over flow. once the cup is full, the excess would just go back into the skimmer. but for the past year, i've never had the collection cup fill up, like the corallife one would for no reason.

rjanzen
04-03-2008, 06:02 PM
I bought this same skimmer and also had floods. The problem is when salt builds up in the air intake nozzle and blocks the flow of air into the powerhead. If you place your finger over the air intake, you will see the collection cup rapidly fill with water. If you poke a toothpick once a week into the air intake you should not have any floods.

Brent F
04-03-2008, 06:30 PM
A fix for it is to drill a hose near the top of the collecton cup and install an overflow line back to your sump. That way, if something goes wrong and the skimmer starts pumping water into the cup it won't end up on the floor. I had to do that with my Corallife 220 and my Red Sea Prism (which is far worse for overflowing).

The last time I had a problem with mine was when I added a large rock to the tank. It raised the water level in the sump enough to cause the skimmer to start filling the cup with water. I heard it and was able to turn it off without a flood.

The key to the corallife working correctly is stable water levels

tang daddy
04-03-2008, 07:17 PM
As a once quite knowledgeable fellow said to me,

"You Get What You Pay For"

I laughed at him and said my budget is X and this is all I can spend, the coralife 250 is a great skimmer and pulls skimate like all the others so why would I spend 200 bucks more.

When I had the first flood in my room I spent half a day sopping up wet stinky carpets for 6 hrs and thought to myself buddy knew what he was talkin about!!

The second time it happened was the same scenario as the first time only this time I had spent even longer cleaning. Out of sheer frustration and back breaking work I swore to myself that I was going to get a more reliable skimmer.

The way I see it is this Coralife makes cheap skimmers!
They work well if you keep up with the maintanence and the water level in your tank does not fluctuate. Because alot of us run lights, flow, open tops etc. there is a considerable amount of water evaporation this fluctuation causes a cheap skimmer^ to overflow, even if you went with a more reliable skimmer it would do the same infact any skimmer with dropping water level will cause it to react this way.

Understanding the basics on how skimmers will act you may help yourself from flooding again.

Is there any way you could incorporate a sump into your system?

If so then you could run your skimmer inside the sump and hopefully never deal with this situation again.

If you cant do that then there are more reliable hang on skimmers that upon the collector cup filling it dumps it back into your tank.
I don't see this option being a good one because a concetrated amount of skimmate being poured into your tank can be very stressfull to your corals depending on size of your system and how much time it has to mix back before entering the system.

I would definately spend the extra money and get a in sump skimmer with a sump.

Or the last option is to not use a skimmer at all and just do larger water changes!

I hope this helps you in your quest to resolving your problem, coming back to a flood is always hard to deal with to boot the clean up sucks.

b-diddy
04-03-2008, 10:57 PM
I bought this same skimmer and also had floods. The problem is when salt builds up in the air intake nozzle and blocks the flow of air into the powerhead. If you place your finger over the air intake, you will see the collection cup rapidly fill with water. If you poke a toothpick once a week into the air intake you should not have any floods.

HEY THANKS! This is what I was looking for.

I think I'm going to punt this thing out the door and send the pieces back to the factory with a picture of my middle finger. I'm so unimpressed with their "customer service" right now that being a child would likely make me feel a little better.

I'm going to be looking at the Remora Pro hang on skimmer as another poster mentioned they were decent and don't fail. I like that idea right now.

:)

b-diddy
04-03-2008, 11:01 PM
As a once quite knowledgeable fellow said to me,

"You Get What You Pay For"

I laughed at him and said my budget is X and this is all I can spend, the coralife 250 is a great skimmer and pulls skimate like all the others so why would I spend 200 bucks more.

When I had the first flood in my room I spent half a day sopping up wet stinky carpets for 6 hrs and thought to myself buddy knew what he was talkin about!!

The second time it happened was the same scenario as the first time only this time I had spent even longer cleaning. Out of sheer frustration and back breaking work I swore to myself that I was going to get a more reliable skimmer.

The way I see it is this Coralife makes cheap skimmers!
They work well if you keep up with the maintanence and the water level in your tank does not fluctuate. Because alot of us run lights, flow, open tops etc. there is a considerable amount of water evaporation this fluctuation causes a cheap skimmer^ to overflow, even if you went with a more reliable skimmer it would do the same infact any skimmer with dropping water level will cause it to react this way.

Understanding the basics on how skimmers will act you may help yourself from flooding again.

Is there any way you could incorporate a sump into your system?

If so then you could run your skimmer inside the sump and hopefully never deal with this situation again.

If you cant do that then there are more reliable hang on skimmers that upon the collector cup filling it dumps it back into your tank.
I don't see this option being a good one because a concetrated amount of skimmate being poured into your tank can be very stressfull to your corals depending on size of your system and how much time it has to mix back before entering the system.

I would definately spend the extra money and get a in sump skimmer with a sump.

Or the last option is to not use a skimmer at all and just do larger water changes!

I hope this helps you in your quest to resolving your problem, coming back to a flood is always hard to deal with to boot the clean up sucks.

BEST POST OF THE WEEK! I can't tell you how helpful this one has been. I'm going to print it off - take a look at my options.. and look at my in sump possibilities. Question is though - how does a person put a sump onto a tank that doesn't have the space for one inside? I'm really new to this but like the idea of not having a hang on at the back that could potentially blow up anytime.

I've always believes in the "you get what you pay for" but didn't think I'd end up worse off for buying a cheap product. I figured it would just "suck" a little less. Instead it SUCKED A LOT MORE!

digital-audiophile
04-03-2008, 11:46 PM
Whats the space under your tank like, You can get a sump built to just about any dimension you need and look at your skimmer selection as to what would fit in there?

b-diddy
04-04-2008, 12:34 AM
Whats the space under your tank like, You can get a sump built to just about any dimension you need and look at your skimmer selection as to what would fit in there?

It's on a funky black metal stand - I've got about 3 feet underneath I could use.

Who builds sumps? Is it a "do it yerself" project?

What's involved?

I'm lazy enough that I'd be OK just buying one if they come pre-done somewhere.

dsaundry
04-04-2008, 12:42 AM
So many manufactures...Pinto, Edsel, Vega, Slimfast, Spray on hair, The list goes on and on. And yet we still buy them AHHHHHHHHHH!:lol:

Lots of junk getting bought and sold in any industry....

b-diddy
04-04-2008, 12:47 AM
So many manufactures...Pinto, Edsel, Vega, Slimfast, Spray on hair, The list goes on and on. And yet we still buy them AHHHHHHHHHH!:lol:

Lots of junk getting bought and sold in any industry....

Sucks for newbies like me trying to make purchases with a budget.

Is a $9000 skimmer better than a $100 one? Is it $8900 dollars better?

There should be a consumer report site for EVERYTHING out there.

I can buy a magazine for lemon cars to buy but who talks about crapper skimmers? I guess that's why I'm here.

Now... gotta get back to my slimfast and spray on hair. I'm a 600 lb Gorilla right now and I'm trying to perfect my look.

kwirky
04-04-2008, 01:01 AM
Sucks for newbies like me trying to make purchases with a budget.

Is a $9000 skimmer better than a $100 one? Is it $8900 dollars better?

There should be a consumer report site for EVERYTHING out there.

I can buy a magazine for lemon cars to buy but who talks about crapper skimmers? I guess that's why I'm here.

Now... gotta get back to my slimfast and spray on hair. I'm a 600 lb Gorilla right now and I'm trying to perfect my look.

a "consumer report site" for marine aquarium gear ain't gonna happen. the car market's a bajillion times larger than our elitist saltwater market. More revenue's collected from toasters than protein skimmers in north america :)

small tank HOB skimmer that's the "safest" yet not $500+ would be the aqua-c remora. it's designed so that it "can't" overflow (goes back into the skimmer).

As for the difference in quality/performance between cheap and expensive skimmers it's all relative really for in sump skimmers but quite drastic for HOB models. A bubbleking is pretty kick *** but they really only skim more than 20% more than a euroreef in most cases (at the most). The price difference is in build quality. If you have the time to clean your pump every 3-6 months then go with the euroreef. if you have cash to blow like some advantaged people have then go with the bubbleking.

As for HOB skimmers there is a much more noticable difference in price/quality between most models. It seems the HOB skimmer market is full of junk because of the large market for them. Some company needs to get their rear in gear and release an up-to-date needlewheel/meshwheel model that's well priced for the HOB market (like a HOB euroreef or the likes). People needing HOB skimmers usually don't have as large a budget as those needing in sump (or even external) skimmers.

Very few people buy a deltec HOB skimmer compared to the people buying bubblekings. and some products like the rio nano-skimmer should be boycotted. but that's my opinion. not fact.

Der_Iron_Chef
04-04-2008, 03:44 AM
I have a Deltec HOB skimmer and it kicks a$$. Only problem is...it's WAY too much skimmer for my tank! I had it offline for two weeks and cranked it back up yesterday. It skimmed like mad for 6 hours and now....I guess not too much left to skim. Heh.

kwirky
04-04-2008, 05:03 AM
I have a Deltec HOB skimmer and it kicks a$$. Only problem is...it's WAY too much skimmer for my tank! I had it offline for two weeks and cranked it back up yesterday. It skimmed like mad for 6 hours and now....I guess not too much left to skim. Heh.

yah they're supposed to be worth every penny.

rattler
04-04-2008, 05:58 AM
Brian.

Sorry for the problems that you are experiencing with your skimmer. I am new to the salt water addiction myself. However, I will say you get what you pay for and it is the consumers responsibility to research your purchase before you buy. With the availability of the internet, it is easy to see that CS skimmers are persnickety, and cause a lot of problems, if they are not attended to regularly. Not being in the "industry" and just a salt water enthusiast it pays to research before you buy. Let's hope you learn too keep your Litigation antics to those how need them most.

Cheers!
rattler

tang daddy
04-04-2008, 07:55 AM
b-diddy thanks for the compliments!!

As for space were you saying 36 inch clearence top to bottom or side to side? If you have 36 top to bottom that's lots of room for a 33g to go underneath and a euroreef rs 135 is more than the tank could ever put out meaning that you could over skim abit but hey look at it this way... Bigger is better if you upgrade say to a 90 or even 120 it can take it ofcourse the 120g being lightly stocked!

For building the sump any joe can do it what you have to figure out is the max space for the skimmer and the return pump then the next is geting glass cut and then sillycone, done like dinner here's a pic of the euroreef rs 135 under my 90g same foot print as your 50 just alittle wider.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o227/tangdaddy/IM000508.jpg
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o227/tangdaddy/IM000506-1.jpg
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o227/tangdaddy/IM000504.jpg

Sumps are the way to go IMO cause you can have heaters, skimmers hidden underneath which opens up some space for your display also the return pump can act as extra flow in your tank and if you want to get fancy you could have sand and macro growing in the middle compartment, some turn it into a full refuge with seahorses and other cool things the opportunities are enless I have put feather dusters, frags, pistol shrimp and gobies in mine it's like 2 displays in one!

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o227/tangdaddy/IM000826.jpg

Myka
04-04-2008, 02:26 PM
I'm going to be looking at the Remora Pro hang on skimmer as another poster mentioned they were decent and don't fail. I like that idea right now.

:)

I have a Remora on my 33g. I won't buy another one. They're ok, but they aren't great. They are the best cheap skimmer you can get though. Get a Deltec MCE300 (~$295), they are only about $30 more than the Remora Pro ($265), and they'll kick the Remora's butt as far as their skimming ability. I've never heard of one overflowing.

Canadian
04-04-2008, 04:27 PM
Another option for a great (based on reviews, not personal experience) HOT skimmer would be the Bermuda Aquatics Rogue skimmer.

http://www.fragfarmer.com/Bermuda-Aquatics-Rogue-Wave-p-889.html

Pier Pressure
04-04-2008, 05:12 PM
If they're selling a product with a defect that is known, common, or regularily occurring they're negligent in continuing to sell it.

"Negligence is a legal concept usually used to achieve compensation for injuries (not accidents). Negligence is a type of tort or delict (also known as a civil wrong). However, the concept is also sometimes used in criminal law as well. "Negligence" is generally defined as conduct that is culpable because it falls short of what a reasonable person would do to protect another individual from a foreseeable risks of harm. Through civil litigation, if an injured person proves that another person acted negligently to cause his injury, he can recover damages to compensate for his harm. Proving a case for neligence can potentially entitle the injured plaintiff to compensation for harm to their body, property, mental well-being, financial status, or intimate relationships. However, because negligence cases are very fact-specific, this general definition does not fully explain the concept of when the law will require one person to compensate another for losses caused by accidental injury. Further, the law of negligence at common law is only one aspect of the law of liability. Although resulting damages must be proved in order to recover compensation in a negligence action, the nature and extent of those damages are not the primary focus of negligence cases."

Would a reasonable person sell a product that was known to malfunction? Of course not.

Only trying to help but I guess that kind of help is NOT appreciated. I guess things are different out in BC. I have only been a litigation paralegal in Alberta for twelve years so perhaps you know something I don't. Seeing as you "work in the industry" and know so much about it - happy suing!

digital-audiophile
04-04-2008, 06:18 PM
I'm not too familiar with what the LFS store situation is like in Kelowna but if you talk to them I am sure they have access to a tank builder of some sort that can make you a custom sized sump. Just about ever store in Calgary can do it/have it done.

Der_Iron_Chef
04-04-2008, 10:15 PM
I found a Remora for sale on ReefCentral, if you're interested.

MMAX
04-05-2008, 12:17 AM
I'm another one with a Coralife 65 skimmer. It only overflowed on me once, I just didn't watch it carefully when adding water. Now whenever I add I turn water level knob all the way down then re-adjust it accordingly. I do admit it's sometimes very hard to set it just right. When setting it up the first time the plastic valve piece that connects to the pump cracked. I have to hold it on with a plastic tie wrap. Also the rubber tubing thay gave me in the kit was too small a diameter, so I had to rig up a new piece. A little bit of a headache but it seems to work.

Myka
04-05-2008, 01:57 AM
I'm not too familiar with what the LFS store situation is like in Kelowna but if you talk to them I am sure they have access to a tank builder of some sort that can make you a custom sized sump. Just about ever store in Calgary can do it/have it done.

Contact Chris @ Interior Reef (see the sponsor forums). He can get the SeaStar tanks custom built for a good price.

Puff
04-05-2008, 04:29 AM

first off, this isnt the United States of America. where you can sue a company for having their coffee too hot when you spill it on yourself while driving.

you have zero chance of winning anything back in small claims court.

they can easily say that it was human error that caused it, or that you should have had a failsafe or some kind of backup of some type to prevent a flood from your aquarium