PDA

View Full Version : Lack of algae

sunce_22
04-02-2008, 07:37 AM
So i have had my 20G reef tank set up for about 3.5 months now and I have nearly no algea growing in it. There is coraline algae growing on the glass, and a couple spots of green algae, but they are so small they are basically invisible.

Does this mean that my tank is healthy or unhealthy? I keep reading of people battling algae, and I'm wondering if its a good thing that I'm not.

I have 20 hermit crabs in the tank and ONE margarita snail (and Im sure she can't be eating that much!)

Is it healthy to have no algae?

hillbillyreefer
04-02-2008, 02:34 PM
Give me a couple days I'll send you a nice pail full of GHA that'll get ya going!!!! JK. GHA and a few of it's cousins are a real pain. If you don't have any consider yourself lucky. Not having it is a good thing.

Reefer Rob
04-02-2008, 03:32 PM
This is great! Now just be careful not to bring any algae in on coral etc. All it takes is one tiny little piece and the fun will begin.

argan
04-02-2008, 04:57 PM
from my experience also, the bad ones were hitchhhikers on live rock.

ElGuappo
04-02-2008, 05:37 PM
Sounds like you got a nice clean tank. finally after 7 monthes im algae free. if you veiw my pics the early ones my rocks are covered.. WTG hope it lasts.

Got my CYNO on a rock with bubble coral.

sunce_22
04-02-2008, 10:37 PM
Wow Thanks guys, I feel much better knowing its a good thing! I love all the coraline algae and its growing on the glass like crazy. (well in little patches).

I have macroalgae growing on the rocks, thats good right?

BTW what exactly does coraline algae do?

marie
04-02-2008, 11:22 PM
BTW what exactly does coraline algae do?

clog everything up, I hate it :rolleyes:

Having said that, it does show you have good calcium/alk levels needed for coral growth :mrgreen:

Puff
04-02-2008, 11:53 PM
i just get algae on my glass. it's a PITA, but take a while to build up, so i just do the odd scrape here and there.

sunce_22
04-03-2008, 12:00 AM
besides showing good calcium/alk levels, does coraline algae give my tank anything good?

Kronk
04-03-2008, 12:16 AM
Makes it look nice... if you want coraline you can get a rock thats heavily encrusted with it and flake and sand it off into your tank. It will speed up the process anyways.

Cheers,
Ken

marie
04-03-2008, 12:31 AM
It's growth uses up nutrients that other algae might otherwise use and other algae are less likely to attach to coralline algae then they are to bare rock.
As far as looking nice, thats a matter of opinion :wink:

when it gets so thick it can no longer hold itself up, it looks pretty tacky

Sorry for the crappy photos I was fighting reflections but this is what I mean, these is pics of the back glass and one of my overflows

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v224/mariesnell/coralline001.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v224/mariesnell/coralline002.jpg

sunce_22
04-03-2008, 01:39 AM
Ok well I guess thats good for me then, so far I like the look of it, but I think Im going to scrape if off the glass. I dont really like the spotted look.