PDA

View Full Version : Clown fish eggs

fishoholic
04-01-2008, 08:03 PM
My perc.'s have laied eggs... Now what????? What are the odd's of them hatching and the fry not getting eaten by the other fish? Should I put them in a separte tank to see if any will live? Any help/advice would be great thanks.

PoonTang
04-01-2008, 08:09 PM
The chances that they will survive in your display tank are about 0. When they are born they are very very small and the only thing they can eat for the first while is rotifers. Pretty specialized stuff in raising clown fry.

Keri
04-01-2008, 10:42 PM
What you now have is an extra treat for your other fish :)

But if you're REALLY committed you can raise them in another tank, there is info out there on how to do this....it's a lot of work but the babies are REALLY cute....

foxfishfan
04-03-2008, 03:36 AM
I too have 2 clowns that lay their eggs in different places about every 3 weeks and watch them aerate the eggs by fanning them with their fins and blowing on them. I even tried to place a net around the area big enough for the parents and no one else but sure enough, about 5 days later the rock is bare as if they were never there. I'm not sure if they get sucked up by current into the powerheads or eaten by the parents and their tankmates. If you do attempt and suceed, let me know what to do. :sad:

atcguy
04-03-2008, 03:42 AM
my tomato clowns lay eggs every 3 weeks. extra treat for the others.. you need to be dedicated to raising clown fry... whole different story then the typical reef tank. tanks healthy if they are laying eggs though. good sign...

fishoholic
04-03-2008, 07:22 PM
I might try to catch them when they are 1st born and put them into my sump and see what happens. There is alot of live food in my sump and I could add rotifers. Or if I can't catch them I guess they will become food :neutral:

cprowler
04-03-2008, 08:00 PM
Mine have been laying egg's every 14 days or so for close two two years and I have never seen any fry, ever.

You would have to take the rock out that they are attached to and put it in a tank just to raise them. I believe they need to be in the dark for the first few weeks and be fed rotofers every 3 to 5 hours. Can be done but a lot of work.

Here is a thread I started on my clowns.

http://canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=34433