PDA

View Full Version : Removing coral from rock

likwid
04-01-2008, 12:30 AM
Hey guys,

I am moving all my corals from my current tank to my new tank. I have an xenia and toadstool that are attached to my live rock, and I would like to remove them from it. What is the best way to go about doing this?

Thanks

SeaHorse_Fanatic
04-01-2008, 02:15 AM
You can slowly peel xenia off with your fingernails or just cut them off. You can also cut off the toadstool near its base. Both should end up growing back on those rocks though. You can also take hammer & chisel & cut the rock at the base of these corals.

fishytime
04-01-2008, 02:35 AM
Be super careful with the xenia. If you leave any of it at all it will come back. Do the cutting outside of the tank and rinse, rinse, rinse, and rinse. Any little bit that comes off into your tank will settle and sprout a new colony. I have found this out first hand. I have about a half a dozen colonies here and there that I didnt want. Very sorry I put it in the tank. Its to bad really cause I like the way it looks.

likwid
04-01-2008, 05:48 PM
Thanks for the tips guys. Now what about removing my bubble tip anemone? I know the fish stores just use their fingers and peel it off the rock, is this the best way?

fkshiu
04-01-2008, 06:06 PM
Anemones are much more stubborn than softies. You can try aiming a powerhead at it. If that doesn't work try rubbing an ice cube on its foot (if accessible) to get it to let go on its own. Using brute force can cause some real damage if you're not careful.

Kronk
04-03-2008, 12:22 AM
I agree with the last post just make the anemone very uncomfortable where it is with high flow directed at its foot and block the light directly over it and it will move house in a few hours. Oh and with the xenia just a warning, its the foulest smelling coral I have ever encountered when taken out of the water, especially when its been ripped open.

Cheers,
Ken