PDA

View Full Version : why are there no red moon lights?

kwirky
03-31-2008, 05:41 AM
I've always contemplated this: why aren't any moonlights red?

If the vision of underwater species is tuned towards the blue spectrum doesn't that mean that our "moon lights" are more like "day lights" for them? It's like when you use a red flashlight to see all the stuff that comes out at night. Why aren't there any red moon lights so that it seems pitch black to our tank animals but we can see them with our own vision?

Wouldn't that cause more creepy crawlies n such to come out at night for us to watch?

KennyKen
03-31-2008, 05:43 AM
doesnt red light promote algae growth?

Keri
03-31-2008, 06:01 AM
Because red is creepy? No, i don't know lol, what you say makes sense....But i bet the coral's colours look a lot better under the blue moons.

Brent F
03-31-2008, 06:39 AM
You can get red aquarium LED lights. I've heard they are good for watching octopus at night.

Starry
03-31-2008, 07:06 AM
Because the fish aren't allowed to have red light districts either :lol:

Ephraim
03-31-2008, 01:48 PM
i have red moonlights, i use the red LEDs from hagen

hillbillyreefer
03-31-2008, 02:11 PM
Red stimulates algae growth. I put a red and a blue led in my girls fowler tank. The side that the red light was on was soon covered in algae and the blue side had far less. You could see the cone where the red light hit the rocks. I shut off the red one but you can still see the difference. Let me know if you want pics. I'll try and get a couple after the kids get up.

kwirky
03-31-2008, 03:43 PM
Red stimulates algae growth. I put a red and a blue led in my girls fowler tank. The side that the red light was on was soon covered in algae and the blue side had far less. You could see the cone where the red light hit the rocks. I shut off the red one but you can still see the difference. Let me know if you want pics. I'll try and get a couple after the kids get up.

and they were run at night, too? strange.

ElGuappo
03-31-2008, 04:09 PM
i use these on my FW tank pics there if interested.

i have red moonlights, i use the red LEDs from hagen

Patrick1
03-31-2008, 04:23 PM
I have the Profilux LED Bars with White, Red & Blue. They work great I can dial in to what ever combo I want and they are dimmable.