PDA

View Full Version : Cyanobacteria problems...help

krschulz
03-31-2008, 04:56 AM
Six months ago I started my 90 gallon tank and have (in the past 6 weeks) run into overgrowth of cyanobacteria. I have 4 Accela 1000 powerheads (256 gallons per hour) running constantly, a protein skimmer and T5 lights about 8 inches above the tank. The fish and corals are thriving but I always have cyanobacteria clumping my substrate together. I have removed most of the substrate, except the stuff I can't reach under my live rock; I have used erythromycin to knock it back (which it did for a couple of weeks); I have added the newer koralia 3 (856 gallons per hour) which has blown my substrate around and helps.
So, is this a flow problem that I should get rid of the Accela heads (they don't stick well)? Should I add another koralia turbo pump? What is the formula used to determine if my flow is adequate? Can you have too much flow?
Should my lights be lowered/heightened?
Am I overfeeding and getting this growth? Hard, green algae has covered the bottom glass of the tank and my snails are busy working at it. Do I cover the algae with substrate so it can't get light and hopefully dies off?
How do you clean under the live rock when you can't reach with the siphon/vaccuum? More flow?
All my chemicals are within range all the time except a bit low on potassium even with daily supplementing. Any help would be appreciated.

Reef_kid
03-31-2008, 05:16 AM
cyanobacteria generaly grows when there is an excess of nutrients and organic waste.
treating a tank with erythomycin is good for killing bacteria however all that dead bacteria will provide more nutrients for bacteria to grow if its not removed. best way to do this is run active carbon after a treatment and increase skimming if possible.

there are also chemicals such as Poly-ox which will clump organics and waste together
which makes them easy to remove in filters.

increase flow and removing organic wastes are one of the best way to get rid of cyano.

saltaddict
03-31-2008, 06:01 AM
I had a cyano problem for the last 3 months. I tried chemi-clean but it all came back after a couple weeks. I was told by a LFS to raise my Magnesium levels by dosing with Kent Tech M Magnesium supplement. I was skeptical but most all my cyano was gone within a week. Worked for me and worth a try. There is a thread on RC about high magnesium levels snuffing out nuisance algae. Just my 2 cents.

Your Cyano problem could also be related to high phosphates.

andresont
03-31-2008, 06:50 AM
ZeoSnow combined/soaked with ZeoBak every two days worked for someone i know.

you can read about it in the ZEO guide where they explaine how to use ZeoSnow.

bv_reefer
03-31-2008, 03:17 PM
cyano tends to be one of the ones that you think you demolished and it just pops out of no where, primarily while treatment try to restrict it to as little an area as possible so it doesn't become a nuisance to you're corals,inverts,etc. other than that you're flow is most likely on the lower side, and cyano usually grows easily where theres an abundance of nutrients, might have to cut back on coral feedings for a bit while treating.

ElGuappo
03-31-2008, 04:12 PM
I had the excact same problem and added no chems to my tank all i did was cut my lighting time down to two 2 hour periods a day for a week and POOF gone. also flow was an issue for me so i added a korialia to hit my rock face. i slowley added tome to the LIGHTS ON until i was up to my normal amount of time. i did also leave and interuption in the middle (lights of for small period of time), hoping it would slow the photosynthisis.

skp
04-03-2008, 06:15 AM
this month is the beginning of my 4th month since i started my new tank. i went through the diatoms,then the hair algae, then bubble algae and a week and a half ago i started to get cyano. it got so bad it covered everything with a thick red slime. i have my lights on from 10am to 10pm. the funny thing is i noticed that the red slime was thick in the mornings to early afternoon but after about 7 hours of light in the tank the cyano would be gone, or at least the red visible slime was gone in the evenings. i was wondering why this was and then i read an article saying that cyano thrives under yellow light and not the bluish spectrum provided by our reef bulbs. I realized that i have been leaving my curtains open and direct sunlight would hit the tank for a couple hours early in the morning each morning. My nutrients were always low. i guess the absence of other algae as well as the spring morning sun started causing it to grow. since i closed my curtains in the mornings the cyano started to die off and within 2 days only a few small patches were left. i notcied that my emerald crab and blue legged hermits eat the cyano but not enough. my fighting conch grabs it from the sand bed and trys to stick it to its own shell but wont eat it. i also noticed that there was no cyano growth under my ball of chaeto and under my red branching macro algae. if you dont want to syphon out all your sand perhaps you could try covering it for a while by weighing down some macro on top of it?

krschulz
04-11-2008, 08:15 PM
Anyone heard of Dragon gobies eating cyano? Also, have just put in a sea hare to hopefully eat whatever the cyano are thriving on. Anyone think this is on the right track or am I being foolish?
I now have 2 Koralia 3's and the 4 powerheads going.