PDA

View Full Version : Newbie plumbing advice

trilinearmipmap
03-04-2003, 05:26 AM
Hello I am one of those people who have lurked on these boards without ever actually setting up a reef tank.

I have questions about what to use for plumbing. Most peoples tanks I have seen pictures of use rigid PVC plumbing with harsh 90 degree angle bends in it. I understand that rigid plumbing with sudden 90 degree angles cuts down on your flow. Should I use flexible tubing instead? Also do they make PVC in slow U-shaped curves (better for flow) instead of harsh 90 degree angles?

I will be plumbing an Oceanic 58g reef-ready tank and I will need to plumb from the standpipe down to my DIY sump, also I will have to plumb my return pump (3/4 inch threaded) up to the return pipe. Any tips or links to good advice on plumbing a tank?

Van down by the river
03-04-2003, 07:56 AM
Ahhh I lost my first reply

Well I personally like Vinyl Hose/ Barbed fittings better. I find that their are less elbows, more flexibility, and easier to install and repair. Especially in confined spaces. plus you can use it right away and their are no smelly chemicals. Need to do a quick repair no problem, small leak, just tighten the hose clamp...done. No glueing. All you PVC users have cursed and spilled water many times when trying to replace a pump or add plumbing.Measurments are also more forgiving than PVC.

Plus you can see if their is a buildup of slime/bacteria/algae on the pipe insides. When this does happen replacement/cleaning is much easier and less messy. It is a little more expensive and is best for 1/2", 3/4" 1" applications. 1 1/2" and higher is better suited to PVC as the hose cost skyrockets!!! Clear hosing will also grow algae if close to lights, reducing flow. PVC does not ,but both PVC and Vinyl grow bacteria slime on the inside walls which can reduce flow in time.
With this hobby every few years their is always a new "gadget" or filter system you just gotta add to your system. I find those changes much easier to plumb in with Vinyl, same goes for pump maintenance.

MAJOR PLUS+++++++ ALL fittings and most hose is completely reusable. This dramatically increases the long term value as we re-plumb our systems (That Calcium reactor you've been dreaming about).

Sorry PVC, not even close......I often look at old mish mash of elbows and pipes and wonder what it was plumbing to in the first place?????

Hints and Tips:
Oh yeah, always use hose clamps. I check them at least once every 6 months as they can work loose over time. After about a year or so the hose will harden on the barb fitting and reduce chance of leakage. For areas of water contact you can get C shaped plastic snap clamps as well.
For the barbed fittings 4-10 wraps of Teflon Tape evenly across the threads will seal them well. Enough so that with a little pressure the threads don't press through right away. I usually thread about half way so their is teflon tape still uncompressed on the threads. Why? If there ever is a small leak I can loosen the hose clamp and turn the fitting a 1/4 turn, retighten the clamp and I've fixed the seal quickly and easily.

Tools needed:
Get a 5/18(I think) ratchet screwdriver it will save your knuckles as it won't slip off the hose clamps like a screwdriver. Canadian Tire sells them individually so you don't have to get a set.

Sharp Xacto blade or better yet a pipe cutter. It will save your fingers from nasty slashes.

Trusty Teflon tape.It never goes bad like so many of those half used, hardened cans of Weldon you've all thrown out over the years.

Tape Measure: Hey you need one no matter what, but the measurements don't need to be so exact as the barb fitting can compensate for at least 1/2" variance on each end.

Make sure the ID of your hose and fittings match.
Don't use braided hose unless it will be in an area were regular hose could be kinked or crushed.
Hose:
Retail:Home Depot
Wholesale to Public: Green Line Hose, Newline Hose
Fittings:
Retail:Home Depot
Wholesale to the Public:Newline Hose, International Plastics

Hopefully a PVC lover will give you the view from the other side of the fence.
Even I believe the scales tip in PVC's favour as hose ID(Inner Diameter) increases above 1 1/4"

I apologize for any spelling adventures gone wrong
"I was dreaming when I wrote this,......forgive me if I go astray"

StirCrazy
03-04-2003, 01:39 PM
the down fall of hose is the fittings have severly restricted Inside dimentions.. the major difference is in the way it is measured.. hose is mesured by the outside diamiter, Pipe is measured from the inside, so a 1" PVC fitting has a hole that is 1" where a 1" hose has a hole that is aprox 3/4" so take this into account when buying stuff. they are both good if bought right I prefer the neatness of PVC but I do also use some hose.

Steve

trilinearmipmap
03-04-2003, 02:15 PM
Thanks for the replys guys.

Van, you lost me a bit talking about teflon tape on barbed fittings.

For the barbed fittings 4-10 wraps of Teflon Tape evenly across the threads will seal them well. Enough so that with a little pressure the threads don't press through right away. I usually thread about half way so their is teflon tape still uncompressed on the threads

If the outleft from my standpipe (threaded male connector sticking out underneath my tank about 1" long) needs to be connected to the vinyly hose, do I wrap the threaded connector with the teflon tape first?

rossb
03-04-2003, 04:04 PM
Tril I have a 6' 180G tank. Originally I used flexible pipe but had to change to rigid because of the flexibility of the pipe. I used 1 1/2” flexible clear PVC and I found that as the water ran through the pipe it kinda moved. It also slumped along the 6’ length and the movement and slumping eventually caused the pipe to come off the barbed fittings. Under my tank I have a refugium and a sump and I to fully support the flexible pipe to keep it out of these two tanks and it seemed always in the way. The other side of the tank, with the 18” run was fine.

I changed to 2” pipe and did not glue some of the elbows in case I have to change anything. Instead of gluing I cleaned the joints, seated them very well and gave them a wrap of electrical tape. I also added some supports to make sure the pipe can’t move. This has worked well so far.
ross

Van down by the river
03-04-2003, 09:14 PM
With the Teflon tape I was refering to wrapping the threads of the hose barbs.Not the barb end that the hose attaches to.

As to the comment of the hose moving and coming loose, I would say there was more at work here as well as a lack of hose clamps. No hose clamps, is the same as PVC without glue/silicone sooner or later........Unless you like wet floors.
I recommend well seated unglued PVC for in sump or tank only plumbing.
Sorry electrical tape is asking for messy salt creep and leaks sooner or later. Just a warning maybe,.........You might want to knock on some wood.