PDA

View Full Version : Trigs 29g Reef

Trigs
03-30-2008, 08:40 PM
Well i have started finally, got my tank on its way to becoming a reef! Exciting, so far its still in the minor stages i will try and get yoiu some pics but so far its been up and running for about 2-3 weeks. I am just in the stage of putting some nice live rock in i picked up yesterday and monday i hope to get some more.

So far the tank is just running with a prizm pro, a aqua clear 300 filter heater 1 koralia 2 and a 250w metal halide. Everything is coming along well i am just about to build a stand and canapy that should be done within the next week or so gotta go to my shop to get it done.

Thinking of making this sump free, maybe adding a 5-10 gal refuge later on if it calls for it but i always have my 33g sump for my 90g handy incase.

So since i dont have pics yet ill post my live stock list what i am hoping to get.

Live stock:
2 perc clowns
1 Mandarin goby
1 Scooter Blenny
about 8 blue legged hermits
1 Sally light foot
1 anenomi not sure what kind yet working on it
Still deciding what kind of corals to get been looking around so ill let you know when i decide

Any suggestions on live stock im sure ill get more just dunno what yet

michika
03-30-2008, 09:25 PM
Your livestock list looks good, although I would very strongly recommend not adding the mandarin, and instead choosing another nano-appropriate goby. Mandarins require a steady diet of copapods, and your system is too small to produce and sustain a population large enough to keep your mandarin healthy. I think the only mandarins that should go into nanos are those that readily accept prepared foods, which in itself is pretty rare. There are lots of other cool gobies that you might be just as happy with.

Here is a nano fish list (http://www.nano-reef.com/fish/). Take a look at them and the profiles, maybe you can find something else!

Good luck!

Trigs
03-31-2008, 12:02 AM
thank you for the info on the mandarin! helps greatly instead i will put him in my 90g :) and thank you for the list!

michika
03-31-2008, 12:13 AM
You are welcome. The mandarin would be a better choice for your 90g. I would wait at least 6 months before considering adding your fish. You are off to a good start though, any thoughts as to what type of clean up crew you may add to your new nano? You can check out a few tank of the month mentions from the website too for inspiration!

Trigs
04-01-2008, 06:15 AM
Well everyone i went out and picked up some cool pieces of live rock today. And set up in a design i like so here are some pictures as the stand sits right now!

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y254/CheeecH/DSC00282-1.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y254/CheeecH/DSC00285.jpg

Trigs
04-01-2008, 06:59 AM
Comments and suggestions well appreciated :)

skabooya
07-05-2008, 03:56 AM
how about a background? All the wires and equip are distracting from the beauty that is your tank lol :)

Myka
07-05-2008, 05:27 AM
Comments and suggestions well appreciated :)

Uh...you added corals and fish on the same day as your live rock? Or did I miss something?

If so, that was a biiiiiiiiiiiiiig mistake!!! If you can, take the fish back to the LFS. You need to wait for your tank to cycle with the live rock before adding any fish. Expect to wait AT LEAST 3-5 weeks before adding ANY livestock. The order should be like this:

1. Add live rock.
2. Test for ammonia, and nitrite every couple of days.
3. After 2 weeks add sand.
4. Once ammonia and nitrite have been at ZERO (not close, but AT zero) for a week do a 50% waterchange.
5. The next day test your nitrates. If they are below 5ppm you are ready to add your clean up crew (start small). If they are above 5ppm do another 50% waterchange, and test the nitrates again the next day.
6. Once your clean up crew has been in the tank for a week or two, you have had no losses, and your ammonia and nitrite are still at zero, and your nitrates are still below 5 ppm, then you can start adding fish. A tank your size...no more than 1 fish at a time.
7. Always monitor ammonia and nitrite when you have added more livestock. If either show up you need to do a large waterchange to keep your critters from getting burnt gills/poisioning.

If you ever have nitrates at 5ppm or more you need to do big waterchanges to get it down. If it is a battle to keep it below 5ppm then you're having issues and they need to be dealt with.

Personally, instead of adding fish in step 5, I like to add corals. I don't like to add fish to the equation until about 6-8 months down the road.

Trigs
09-01-2008, 01:46 AM
well guys it has been a while since i have added to this but it is finally time for me to get on my way about it and start adding some corals.

I have re done a bunch of stuff cleaning the tank up and such and thinking about drilling it, but for now this is how it sits.

i have 3 koralias going, 2 3's and 1 2.
I have a stealth heater.
I have a Red sea prizm pro skimmer
A 250 watt hqi MH hanging from the roof.

Thats about all the equipment i have running, oh and a fan as my chiller.
Other than that it is sitting like this to date.

Levels are as follows.
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 0
Salinity - 1.026
Ph - 8.1
Ammonia - 0

The tank is coming along great, have no corals in it so far, just my 2 percs, my blue tang, and my yellow tang, just until i find them new homes. and some blue legged hermits.

Let me know what you guys think. Pictures will be coming shortly