PDA

View Full Version : Berlin HO Skimmer???

canadawest
02-20-2002, 08:08 PM
Calling all Red Sea Berlin skimmer users, past or present!!!

I just replaced my little Prizm skimmer with a Red Sea Berlin HO skimmer powered by a RIO 2500. I got the used skimmer and pump for only $150, so I figured it was a good deal for an upgrade.

Anyways, aside from being leery about the RIO 2500 pump, I am concerned with the output of the skimmer thus far. I do know that skimmers require a break-in period, but how long is it with the Berlin? So far I barely get any foam out of it, and this is with the airline and pump running wide open for the past 18 hours. The skimmer was pretty clean so I suspect that it does need to get a scum coating before it really produces good foam, but I am wondering what other's experiences are with this skimmer?

Anyone with tips, tricks, or anecdotal experience with Red Sea Berlin skimmers, specifically the HO model, please PLEASE let me know!

Canadian
02-20-2002, 08:14 PM
Modify the venturi with a Kent venturi from J&L, then replace the pump with a MAG (you'll have to do some fancy rigging to change the pump). Also get rid of the white thumb screw for adjusting the air intake and swap it with a plastic needle valve placed in the end of the neoprene tubing.

Aquattro
02-20-2002, 10:44 PM
Andrew, lose the RIO for sure...Red Sea recommends a MAG 7. Also, ensure that there is a small square piece of plastic in the center of the small inner tube. Without this, you'll get no foam. And remove the venturi and make sure it isn't encrusted.....you'll need to do this every few months minimum.

titus
02-21-2002, 05:35 AM
Hello,

How long it takes the skimmer to break in depends on primarily two factors:
1) the amount of oil presented in the product
2) the internal water current

All skimmers require break in period. Some are fast some are slow. But all will skim, except oh well good old SeaClone.

Troy F
02-21-2002, 12:35 PM
I had a Berlin H.O.T. on my 72 with the Mag 7. I hate it, I didn't find it adequate for my lightly stocked 72. I'd try it with a Mag 9, but you'll probably have to throttle that back a little.

titus
02-21-2002, 01:25 PM
Hello,

Geez, and I found that the Bullet 2 is the right size skimmer for my 20 gallon. The thought of driving a few of these with an Ampmaster 3000 comes to me. But I have to get a larger sump. images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

FlameAngel
02-21-2002, 08:32 PM
Hey Andrew,

What did you do with your prizm? is it in a box stored away? are you going to sell it?

Stephan
aka Flames