PDA

View Full Version : Freshwater dips

MMAX
03-29-2008, 02:56 AM
Just gave my clown a freshwater dip to take care of some parasites on his bottom lip. I think it's some kind of copopod problem. Have any of you ever erradicated parasites from your live rock by giving them freshwater dips and if so what will happen?

Keri
03-29-2008, 04:00 AM
Copepods are not a parasite (There are however parsitic isopods - look them up, but they are a lot bigger than copepods)
Freshwater dips will effectively kill your live rock, I wouldn't suggest it.

Can you post a picture of the "pods" on your fish? :)

See below for the fish's lovely parasitic isopd "hat"
http://blog.beautifuloceans.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/07/soldierfish-with-isopod.jpg
Image stolen randomly from google image search.

MMAX
03-29-2008, 04:45 AM
If it's an isopod, I still want to get rid of it by giving a freshwater dip to all my rocks. I knew they would die (I'm going to lose my fan worms) but, what I was wondering was that if I did that, will the parasites die too? I have a
20 gal and I don't want to medicate it. I wanna try that first.

Keri
03-29-2008, 05:05 AM
It's not the fan worms i would be worried about killing, it's the beneficial bacteria that make your live rock worth $5 - 7 or more a LB. Your LR will lose this bacteria and it won't be filtering your tank anymore....plus you're going to have a big ammonia spike from the die off....if you FW dip your rocks are you going to FW dip the sand as well? There are "bugs" in there too! No, FW dipping the rock isn't the answer....what do the bugs look like? Was it actually feeding off of your fish? Did it come off in the FW dip you gave your fish?

Megalodon
03-29-2008, 05:48 AM
If it's an isopod, I still want to get rid of it by giving a freshwater dip to all my rocks. I knew they would die (I'm going to lose my fan worms) but, what I was wondering was that if I did that, will the parasites die too? I have a
20 gal and I don't want to medicate it. I wanna try that first.No, don't do it.

Keri
03-29-2008, 06:44 AM
If the clown is the only fish in the tank you're better off medicating it in a QT and letting the Dt lay "fallow" for 8 weeks or more to kill off any parasites there.

Myka
03-29-2008, 05:01 PM
Dip the slown, but don't dip the rock.

Aquattro
03-29-2008, 05:38 PM
It's really easy to catch all the isopods, if that's what you've got. I used a small narrow necked vase, put some scallop in it and put it in the tank at night. Every 30 minutes I removed it and emptied out the isopods. After a few times, I had them all and never saw another on my fish. Do not FW dip your rock.

MMAX
03-29-2008, 06:20 PM
http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o122/jgo555/ClownfishParasite002.jpg

Here's the best I can do with my camera. If you want, zoom in so you can see it better.

Aquattro
03-29-2008, 06:34 PM
zooming doesn't help, but to me it looks like a white fuzzy mass? Is that correct?

MMAX
03-29-2008, 07:17 PM
It's actually brown

Aquattro
03-29-2008, 07:25 PM
It's actually brown

and fuzzy?

MMAX
03-29-2008, 08:19 PM
It almost looks like there's something burrowed under his skin. It was fuzzy at first. It looked like a fuzzy bump at first then I gave him a fw dip and it burst and now it looks like an open wound with fuzz around the edges. It's quite gross.

Starry
03-30-2008, 12:10 AM
The fuzz could be fungus growing around the wound. If you can take care of the fungus the wound should heal on its own. If it is fungus, and you leave it, it may spread and cause further damage to your clown.

chevyjaxon
03-30-2008, 11:05 AM
cool a clown with a goatee havent encountered this problem yet but why not shave it off :lol:

MMAX
03-30-2008, 03:07 PM
The little guy's worse today, looks like he has 3 bumps now. Going to Red Deer to pick up a small tank and a heater for quarantine. Any ideas on what medication I should put in?

MMAX
04-08-2008, 01:14 AM
After 8 days in quarantine with some Instant Ocean Lifeguard, the little guy looks fine and fully recovered. I'll keep him in here for another week just to make sure.