PDA

View Full Version : How Is Sump Size Determined?

MMAX
03-29-2008, 12:50 AM
I have a question on sump size. How do you determine the proper size for your set-up? I'm thinking about doing a 55 gallon reef tank just because I have one I'm using for fresh water right now. What would be the correct sump size for this set-up?

mark
03-29-2008, 01:11 AM
There is no correct size.

Lot of people will just pick the biggest tank that will find into their stand. Of course you do want to pick one that will be big enough for what you'll put in it so think of the equipment your planning (in-sump skimmer, HOB, internal or external pump) do you want a refugium, etc.

christyf5
03-29-2008, 01:12 AM
A sump is just used to provide increased water volume for your system (things can go downhill a lot quicker with less water) as well as a place to "hide" things such as heaters, skimmers etc that you wouldn't want to have detracting from the display tank.

While I'm not aware of any calculations for "correct" sump size, it doesn't mean there isn't one out there. I just got the biggest one that would fit in my stand :biggrin:

bassman
03-29-2008, 01:12 AM
The bigger the better.
Get the biggest you can afford and have room for.

MMAX
03-29-2008, 01:28 AM
What is a refugium?

mark
03-29-2008, 01:36 AM
What is a refugium?

Simply a area without predation (a refuge).

I can be a separate tank, as part of a sump or even a area of the display partitioned off. There's different types though most seem to combine or have for growing macro (nutrient export) and a area for pods that will make it (hopefully) back to the display.