PDA

View Full Version : Help with silicone on new (to me) tank.

mastergunsg
03-28-2008, 11:25 PM
I am wondering what the standard width for a silicone bead should be on a 12mm glass tank. I'm talking about the bonding joint not the sealing.I have read allot of forums and manufactures recommendation sheets and have come up with everything from 5mm to 12mm. I'm also looking into taking all the trim off and going with euro bracing, if i take the trim off the bottom of the tank would it cause any foreseeable problems putting the same size euro bracing along the bottom as well, Just to make sure the tank will never have a blowout? I am the type that would rather go overboard with the safety factor then to take a chance on something failing in the future.

Myka
03-29-2008, 05:34 PM
The bead on the inside is esthetic only, and helps to keep stuff like algae out of the corners. The structural silicone is the stuff between the panes where they meet. So, pick a size. :D You can always go to the LFS and look at tanks the same size as yours and see what they use.

PS You're stuffing 130lbs of LR into that 72 bow? Holy wowzers!

mastergunsg
03-30-2008, 12:43 AM
:biggrin: I have put about 50lbs in since i bought the 72 and the guy i got it from claimed to have around 70 in it already....when i transfer the rock to the new tank im going to check and see how much i actualy have.

danny zubot
03-30-2008, 12:58 AM
Sorry I can't help with the silicone bonding question, but I've always gotten good advice from the guys at Bow Valley aquarium. They build them, they should know best.

As far as eurobracing the bottom of the tank, I wouldn't bother. The tank's bottom is good enough.