PDA

View Full Version : SPS feeding- What are you using?

fencer
03-28-2008, 05:34 PM
I am still wondering what to feed SPS's.I have had a chance to use marine snow,black powder, reefriods and coral frenzy. In all cases LPS's respond very well to those products. But I am not sure if SPS respond as well. My SPSs exhibit polyp extension most of the time food or no food. I have heard that oyster eggs work. I feel that most of the food mentioned above do not stay in the water column long enough. I tried to target feed though.My next try is Michika's food brew, I plan to use a liquid extract of the food. As i feel the smaller particles will stay suspended long in the water. Are there better products. Comments of what other people are using (eg. zeovit food)?

ElGuappo
03-28-2008, 05:42 PM
when you are feeding these small or liquid foods if you turn your skimmer off for a while that will help it stay in the water colom from what i have been told. i use cyclopeeze, and do a pumps off for feeding this allows all food to stay in the tank and not the sump therfore staying out of the skimmer.

christyf5
03-28-2008, 05:59 PM
I feed reef chili, cyclopeeze and reef roids. I turn off the main pump and just leave the powerheads going in the tank. Add the food and let it do its thing for about an hour. To be honest, I haven't seen any whiz bang results, then again I'm not religious about using the stuff either :razz:

digital-audiophile
03-28-2008, 06:31 PM
I'm running the full zeo system and use PCV (Phols coral vitalizer) as an additional coral food source. You can use this even if you are not running full zeo.

Chowder
03-28-2008, 06:33 PM
I feed mine fish poo.

mark
03-28-2008, 10:03 PM
I feed mine fish poo.

same here.

michika
03-28-2008, 10:32 PM
Third on the fish poop!

I also add in cyclop-eeze to my daily feedings, although I do it more so for my chromis then anything else. I've tried Reef-Roids, Reef-Chili, and Energy Elements. I do add Zeo's Sponge Power and Amino Acids into my system once a week, it seems to impact my GSP and clams positively.

Snappy
03-28-2008, 11:00 PM
If feeding some type of additive your best results will be after lights out when they have their greatest polyp extension.

fencer
03-30-2008, 05:49 PM
I agree about feeding at night. In fact I have setup a dosing pump to feed at night. This was for the sun coral. Coral frenzy seem to work the best with the dosing pump. Snappy what are you using for additives? The Zeovit stuff interests me just the food portion. The guy at Blue ocean was using it on his corals. Digital-audiophile keep us posted on your result with the zeovit system. I was also in the health food store and I came across "UMAC-Core Marine Phytoplankton" Has anybody used this. I am interested as it is in liquid form or should I just go with the DT's stuff. BTW I have no fish in the tank...I sort of agree with the fish poop though.

bv_reefer
03-30-2008, 09:38 PM
phyto-feast, but i'm thinking of switching to reef-roids for it's small size

mildcustom2
03-30-2008, 11:38 PM
Third on the fish poop!

I also add in cyclop-eeze to my daily feedings, although I do it more so for my chromis then anything else. I've tried Reef-Roids, Reef-Chili, and Energy Elements. I do add Zeo's Sponge Power and Amino Acids into my system once a week, it seems to impact my GSP and clams positively.

I feed fish poop too.

I don't find there to be any advantages in trying to feed my sps anything.