PDA

View Full Version : input needed on back flow valve

mrcopitr
02-20-2002, 05:38 PM
Hi guys,

I want to install a back flow valve on my return from the sump...to prevent the little giant pump from a syphon action in case of power failure...the only little problem..is that I could only find a pvc back flow valve that as a small brass weight on the flap...would that be a problem...?????

Also I did receive a 100 pds of semi cured rock on the week end...and I still do not see any critters migrating in the DSB...any input on this would be appreciated...

Hoping to hear from you

Marco

DJ88
02-20-2002, 08:07 PM
Marco,

Two problems with teh backflow.

First one is abiggie.. Brass is made up of Copper. So that is a no go.

Secondly with all the stuff in a tanks water, including calcium, you will find that in time the back flow won't work as it will clog up and not seal properly.

Take alook at Flame*Angel's case on RC. She was running one and it didn't work when she needed it.

pocilipora
02-20-2002, 08:18 PM
DONT USE A BACK FLOW VALVE. They dont work over time, just ask my carpet. At the top most part of your return lines, just below the water level, put a small hole 1/16th or so. Then when the power goes out, the water level will only drop as far as the hole, because it starts to suck air.