PDA

View Full Version : Golden Dwarf Moray Eel (Gymnothorax melatremus)

Chaloupa
03-27-2008, 05:52 AM
My new eel...."he's" only about 7-8" long...just got him from J&L on Friday. Good thing they double bagged him...many holes in the bag from him biting it! Seems to have settled in and as of today is eating.....
First pic to give some perspective to his small size;
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c212/Chaloupa/GoldenDwarfMorayEel.jpg

Closeup to show detail and his blue eyes;
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c212/Chaloupa/GoldenDwarfMorayEel2.jpg

Borderjumper
03-27-2008, 05:52 AM
Awesome hes eating for you. Good job Sarah!

Delphinus
03-27-2008, 06:11 AM
I was hoping someone on here was the one who snagged him and would post pictures. :) I was soooooo tempted but just not a good time for a big purchase like that. But thank you thank you for sharing "him" with us (his photos at least). More more more more!

Chaloupa
03-27-2008, 06:15 AM
Hey Tony...it was a big purchase but worth it! I'm really glad that I got him. He is still very very shy but getting better. He ate well today so I think things should work out....just getting him comfortable has been tough...we re-arranged the tank the day after we got him to catch an angel that was giving us grief...and surprisingly he toughed it out .... I'll take more as he becomes more agreeable to us...and the camera!

Delphinus
03-27-2008, 06:20 AM
Which tank do you have him in? Did you arrange the rock special to creates caves and what not, or did you get lucky in that there were already caves like the one he's in?

Can't wait to see more. :) That's awesome, hope he does really well for you!

Chaloupa
03-27-2008, 06:28 AM
I have him in my 120g that has changed ALOT over the last year.

I lost my Scribbled Angel still have NO idea why, as no other fish was looking "off" or anything and 2 hours prior the angel was eating..then dead. So after that we replaced the glass as it was BADLY scratched and very well used, (we had a new 120g in the garage waiting for the day we got brave) did a swap out of the tanks in a 24 hour period...so rescaped the tank.....then had purchased a Lemon Peel Angel from a fellow reefer that just turned out to be a terror to a few fish and now we realize the extent of it's nastiness as the tank is much calmer....but to catch it we had to take out some rock, rip apart things....(all of which the eel had been in the tank for less than 24 hours but the angel was becoming a really really big concern) then it gave us an even better chance to change the rock to make more caves for the fish and give the eel some dark spots.

Right now he is living in a hole in one of the rocks..it has a hole that reaches from one side to the other so he has 2 places to come out of....and at least I can target feed him easily where he has chosen!

wickedfrags
03-27-2008, 01:12 PM
Great purchase, a facinating animal. These are awesome eels that stay small, and at that size it is pretty much full grown.

ElGuappo
03-27-2008, 09:56 PM
i am going to asume that these are not reef safe????????

Delphinus
03-27-2008, 10:01 PM
On the contrary actually!

Well, technically, anything that fits into a moray's mouth is food. But the golden drawf moray is about 12" max size and said to have the body diameter similar to that of a pen ... so basically all but the smallest of the small are fairly safe with this eel.

In fact they say a 20g nano tank would make an ideal home for one of these! :)

justinl
03-27-2008, 10:51 PM
imo i dont think any eel should go into anyhting less than a 50 including these guys. but at any rate, yeah these guys are "reef safe" in the sense that they dont really bother corals and their body size is thin enough that they probably wouldnt topple the rockwork like some bigger eels; they are also the kind of eel that preys more on inverts and generally leaves most fish alone. but anyways, yours is a beautiful critter for sure. Hope you have a lid on his tank.

Chaloupa
03-27-2008, 11:39 PM
i am going to asume that these are not reef safe????????

Hey Tony! thanks for the quick answer on that^^...in my tank I don't have any inverts other than a clean up crew (not many left after the coris wrasse finished them up) and a starfish. His tank mates are a pair of Gold Stripe Maroon Clowns, a Copperband Butterfly and a Coris Wrasse (5"). That's it...and I don't "plan" on much more.

Hey Justin....he's in a 120g with lots of caves, rock etc. and one heck of a good skimmer! I do have a lid on the tank as I read as much information about them prior to the purchase. I think I may beef it up a bit more this weekend though just to be sure.

Delphinus
03-28-2008, 12:12 AM
Justin you may well be correct. I'm only spouting off bits and pieces that I've read. I think it might have been wetwebmedia.com where I read the bit about a 20g, but it was something to the effect that the larger the tank with more and more rockwork increases the likelihood of you never seeing them because they can hide so well.

ElGuappo
03-28-2008, 01:42 AM
I have wanted to get a n eel but i fear for all my inverts. fire, cleaner,camelback shrimp, porcelin and emerald crabs.

Chaloupa
03-28-2008, 02:32 AM
I most likely wouldn't have one with all those inverts...and I would, as Justin recommended have it in a larger tank...rather than a small tank.

Tony, I read the same thing about keeping them in a nano but don't think I would chance it.....some feel you will lose them in a large tank and never see your eel again...but I can see mine all the time...I do think they like to see what is on the outside or what comes up to their tank so place themselves somewhere where they can see you .. thus you can see them.

Delphinus
03-28-2008, 02:50 AM
Yeah, that makes sense ... I would think most reef tanks aren't really all THAT large anyhow that you would "lose" them in there.

So .. um .. more pics yet? :lol:

Chaloupa
03-28-2008, 05:42 AM
ha ha ha....not yet....will try tomorrow. :biggrin:

workn2hard2day
03-28-2008, 09:37 PM
Nice Eel, get a really tight well fit lid. Our 1st used salt tank purchase came with a snowflake. He didn't learn his lesson and one trip too many outside the confines of his home landed him in the dogs mouth :cry:.
Kim.

Argentiner
03-28-2008, 10:11 PM
Would this eel eat all hermits and snails? How about a full grown fire shrimp and black cucumber? Was thinking of getting one sometime in the future but was never sure what you would do for a cleanup crew. Was also thinking about a ghost eel...

Chaloupa
03-29-2008, 12:50 AM
He doesn't seem concerned about the cleanup crew....he is SMALL though. This is the smallest, as far as I know, of the eel family that is brought in for aquariums...correct me if I am wrong....I don't know that he could manage a full size cleaner shrimp or the like, nor do I think they have any interest in a cucumbers....it's not something I worried about and I don't think it's something you need to be worried about.

Chaloupa
04-09-2008, 01:01 AM
Here it is at feeding time...put in a couple of clams for the CBB and wrasse and to see what the eel would do....turns out he was pretty interested!!!!! Not shy AT ALL! I have seen him in the rockwork "swimming" a little when the halides go out....

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c212/Chaloupa/Thefamilysnackingagain.jpg

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c212/Chaloupa/Thefamilysnacking.jpg

Delphinus
04-09-2008, 06:37 AM
:cool: I love it, thanks for the pics!!

Chaloupa
04-09-2008, 08:01 AM
Thanks Tony! I am hoping to get more of him out in the open a bit...or me feeding him. I quite enjoy him!

ElGuappo
04-09-2008, 10:57 PM
Thanks for the pics love that little guy. almosst reason enough for me to get a bigger tank.

Willito
04-11-2008, 04:46 PM
Very cool little guy. I am very intereset in acquiring one, can you answer some of these questions.
Did you have any problems getting it to eat from the start?
What has it been eating?
How does it behave towards larger and smaller tankmates?
When is it active? day or night? Thanks.

Chaloupa
04-11-2008, 09:41 PM
Very cool little guy. I am very intereset in acquiring one, can you answer some of these questions.
Did you have any problems getting it to eat from the start?
What has it been eating?
How does it behave towards larger and smaller tankmates?
When is it active? day or night? Thanks.

I got him on a Friday..he was showing interest in the mixed frozen food I use the next day-Saturday I was home and able to observe him for quite awhile...he ate fresh oyster within the first few days ( from the local seafood shop, opened and cut into "bite size" strips), he also had a complete tank make-over happen to him the day after he arrived so I could get my Lemon Peel out of the tank as it was nasty....and he never seemed to get stressed...and now will eat, clam, oyster, shrimp and possibly any other meaty foods I give him...he is not overly active during the day unless I pop a fresh clam in there....he will come out for a taste (or to drag the entire clam back to his den...it doesn't fit :lol:) he is almost always sticking his head out of his den so is easy to see if you know what you're looking for after the MH goes out, while it is on he is a bit more shy. He shows no aggression to any fish....these eels are soooo small....he lives with a pair of GSM Clowns, a Copperband butterfly and a Coris Wrasse...plus a clean up crew. He doesn't bother anyone. I do have the tank well covered with egg crate as they are supposed to be jumpers.

The only other thing I would add is that if you have it shipped ... say from J&L to you...have them bag him 3-4 times....when I got mine he was very very well bagged...but was constantly biting the bag and putting holes in it!!! AMAZING to see what those teeth can do! I would recommend them if you are interested in eels....they are very pretty, small and easy to maintain as long as you can get them eating. Good luck! Let me know if you get one!

Willito
04-11-2008, 10:03 PM
Sounds like feeding this little guy is not going to be much of an issue. The other big concern I have is the type of fish housed with it. I currently have mulitple tangs, angels, wrasses, and basslets, wonder if those are a thread?

Chaloupa
04-11-2008, 10:29 PM
From the reading I did, and discussion on other boards with owners of these eels...."smaller" fish are ok....they are reported to be kept with fairy wrasses and such...but if it can fit in the eels mouth I wouldn't take the chance. My only concern with large fast fish would be making the eel uncomfortable. I know mine will shy away from the clowns if they make a move....but he will try to stand up to them and the CBB if it means getting a snack from a fresh clam....

Delphinus
09-15-2008, 05:51 AM
Any new pics? How's the little guy doing?

... I found me one. My pictures are terrible in comparison, but he's been really shy. And quite the little Houdini too I might add.

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn239/delphinus_photos/P9120005.jpg

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn239/delphinus_photos/P9120004.jpg

Chaloupa
09-15-2008, 05:59 AM
WOW Tony, yours is beautiful!!!! Nice and dark yellow compared to mine. Mine is doing very very well....came out for a "tour" of his tank today...did a lap, looked around (I think he was checking out the Harlequin Tusk I just added) then went back to his home. He eats from tongs, or just comes out and helps himself to fresh clam or oyster....but is very visible at all times...unless a stranger comes up to the tank he hides, then slowly comes back out. Will take some pics tomorrow.....forgot about this thread...thanks!

Delphinus
09-15-2008, 06:10 AM
He might be about the same in colour, the yellow looks more pronounced in the picture because he's in a dark spot in the tank so the exposure might be a bit saturated.

Boy let me tell you I got in trouble over this one. But he's so incredibly gorgeous, my wife fell in love with him instantly too. "You're right. He's beautiful. Don't think you're not still in trouble!"

He did work his way into the sump last night. So I got some gutter guard over the eggcrate now. I'm totally freaked about him maybe fitting though the eggcrate tank cover so for now I've got cargo batting (I think that's what it's called) over the top of the tank until I can figure out a more workable long term solution.

How often does yours eat? I've had him since Friday now, hasn't eaten anything yet. I've tried mysis, krill and some kind of "sand eel" (some kind of frozen fish slightly smaller than silverside - long and narrow). I'll try some clam meat tomorrow maybe since yours seems to like that!

Chaloupa
09-15-2008, 06:16 AM
Mine eats every few days probably...but not target fed every few days..only if he manages to steal some clam or oyster from the CBB....otherwise I make sure that he gets his own every 5-7 days.....I have heard that overfeeding eels can be a big problem...I figure if I target him every 5-7d...he will MAKE SURE that he steals some clam meat from the CBB, wrasse and clowns if he is truly hungry!

OOOH I haven't lost mine *yet* to the overflows, or the eggcrate on top...but I check daily still and probably always will.....you just never know.

They are soooo very cool. Our son, who is 4, loves to see him and will let us know whenever the eel is "looking at him". It's a cool creature!

wickedfrags
09-15-2008, 12:27 PM
I have two of these in my display. Truely fascinating animals and great for a reef. In time they will warm up to feeding by hand, both mine eat of forceps.

Delphinus
09-15-2008, 04:38 PM
What do you feed yours Dave? And how often?

wickedfrags
09-15-2008, 05:23 PM
Generally I target feed them -2x's a week. At this time I feed them frozen prawns (leftowner from when I had my crosshatch triggers). You will be suprised how large a piece of food they will eat!

What do you feed yours Dave? And how often?

michika
09-15-2008, 05:32 PM
Nice addition Tony!

I love the look of eels, and think its very cool that some people are keeping them in reef environments. I think we need some photos of yours Dave!

brizzo
09-16-2008, 09:54 PM
I think we need some photos of yours Dave!

We're waiting!!! :mrgreen::mrgreen:

Delphinus
09-17-2008, 05:22 AM
Day 4 with mine - still not eating. :( Should I be worried? The wholesaler said it was eating krill, so I went and bought this enormous sheet of krill. Of course it won't touch them - and nobody else including the anemones will touch the krill either.

How long before I really panic?

So far I've tried mysis, sand eels, krill, NLS finicky fish, Michika's food - no interest.

I thought about silversides but they were enormous - absolutely enormous - which is why I opted for the smaller, more slender sand eels. Maybe this was a mistake? Maybe I should go get silversides? ... I'm just frustrated because I have a freezer full of foods that none of my fish will eat ..

What do I do? Maybe stop feeding him altogether for a few days? Let him get real good and hungry? Try a half clam?

There's nobody in the tank in with him. So not a case of hazing or bullying...

EmilyB
09-17-2008, 06:55 AM
Nothing I owned in 10 years touched krill Tony. I think if they ate it in the store they were insanely hungry. I don't think four days is that long for an eel, he may be hunting smaller foods in your tank.

Did you try the raw prawns yet?

Delphinus
09-17-2008, 07:05 AM
Does *anything* eat krill? Man, what's up with this. I guess if I ever decide to keep a baleen whale then I can feed it this stuff. :(

Haven't tried prawn yet. Will tomorrow. Thought I might pick up a mixed bag of seafood tomorrow and see how it goes. You know the kind that has squid,octopus, etc. Maybe an oyster and clam .. My butterfly could use a treat anyhow, loves oysters and mussels and it's been a while since I bought some last.

My poor tank is totally going to crash with all this uneaten food floating around though. Maybe I'll just back off for a few days.

Chaloupa
09-17-2008, 07:16 AM
Mine ate clam and oyster really quickly...very fresh, not frozen.....worked well for me!

Myka
09-17-2008, 05:29 PM
You guys are making me want one!! He'd probably eat my Hector's Goby though...he's pretty tiny.

Delphinus
09-17-2008, 05:43 PM
If it makes you feel any better, you can set up an empty aquarium with rock and some zoos and have the same experience I'm having right about now. :neutral:

I'm hoping in time he'll get more comfortable and allow himself to be seen. Man they are not kidding when they say this eel is reclusive. I have to look for a minimum of 30 minutes at a time before I find where he's hiding. Basically in 5 days so far I've been able to see him maybe about 10-15 minutes in total, and that includes trying to dangle food in front of his hidey holes (when I can at least see his head or face) in the hopes of witnessing him at least eat something, but no such luck. :(

Dunno maybe this is commonplace for eels, never had one before. Not sure what I'm thinking of this purchase though right about now.

wickedfrags
09-17-2008, 06:54 PM
A customer of mine has one in a nano and it is great. Eel comes out much more in a small tank with no other occupants. Once you see how cool it is to have one, most agree. I am thinking of adding one to my seahorse tank.

Not quite sure why, but the females seem to love these little guys....

Delphinus
09-18-2008, 03:11 AM
The females love them is the reason there wasn't a "huge kaboom" when I came home with him.

Mine is in a 20g and he's by himself, so that unfortunately doesn't always hold true. I wonder if they don't like flow, this tank has a Seio 820, so we are talking, what, 40times volume turnover..... could that be it? He does NOT come out of the rock for ANYthing.

Honestly? I don't think my story has a happy ending unless something changes all of a sudden.

andestang
09-18-2008, 03:53 AM
Tony did you take a trip to Superstore or anywhere that carries fresh clams & oysters ? I hope he/she comes around, love to come by and see 'em.

michika
09-21-2008, 04:18 PM
Honestly? I don't think my story has a happy ending unless something changes all of a sudden.

:cry:

SeaSerpant
09-22-2008, 01:25 AM
your eel looks so cute Chaloupa.
I hope your eel starts eating soon Delphinus.

Thanks
SeaSerpant

Delphinus
09-22-2008, 01:40 AM
Day 9 now - will he eat tonight?? Sigh, Tune in tomorrow to find out on "As the stomach turns", the Canreef soap opera.

SeaSerpant
09-22-2008, 02:00 AM
Day 9 now - will he eat tonight?? Sigh, Tune in tomorrow to find out on "As the stomach turns", the Canreef soap opera.
I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Delphinus
09-22-2008, 04:51 AM
Nope, another night of futile efforts to entice it.

Now I've tried krill, mysis, shrimp, prawn, clam (live from the supermarket), squid, octopus.

I'm desperate for suggestions here. What's left I can try? Live food? Should I try ghost shrimp? I've got 100's of baby Ameca spendens in my FW, they'd probably be about the right size, except that 1) ugh, I can't believe it would have to come to that, 2) they're endangered or extinct in the wild 3) they're hard to catch 4) no real guarantee the eel would eat it, so it will just die in the SW and add to the fouling of the water. :neutral:

I'm about ready to throw the towel in and put it up for sale in case anyone else thinks they'd have a better chance of getting it to come around.

I'm getting so close to done forever with this hobby everytime I make a purchase like this and I end up regretting it. Words can't express the sheer frustration of late... a small victory was all I wanted, apparently it's completely out of the question. My reef tank karma is all used up I guess. :(

brizzo
09-22-2008, 05:04 AM
Have you tried oyster yet? Has the foods you've offered been previously frozen before? I've heard people have a lot better luck with very fresh seafood over frozen. Have you tried reducing your flow to see if he would eat then?

I wish one day I can find one of these eel's locally...

Delphinus
09-22-2008, 05:16 AM
Haven't tried oyster yet. Did buy some the other day so I can try some but did freeze them already. Maybe I'll pick up another one tomorrow and try that before the frozen one.

I've tried both pumps on and pumps off. A couple days ago I left the pumps off for a good hour. I've tried with lights on and lights off. I also have a mesh covering over the tank at the moment because I'm worried about him escaping and this is helping to subdue the lighting.

I've heard of morays going on "hunger strikes" lasting for weeks at a time but that's probably more in reference to the larger ones - I can't see one as little as this lasting quite as long.

EmilyB
09-22-2008, 05:25 AM
I will adopt him if you'd like? :question:

Edmonton Eskimo
09-22-2008, 05:25 AM
sounds like a struggle Tony. I didn't notice but did you try silversieds? If they are too big just cut the head off and offer that. With a lion I had a couple years ago that's how finally got it to eat. Offer it eyes first as it then looks like live food. I got my golden moray about a week ago and thankfully eats very well. He is fairly reclusive but I can find him usually hanging out in one of three spots in the liverock. I will get some pics of him soon.

wickedfrags
09-22-2008, 01:40 PM
You are correct about the hunger strikes. The have been known now to visibly take for for almost 2 months. That being said, it does not mean they are not eating.

I have one living in the sump of my frag tank that will not take prepared foods and he has been there for almost 3 months. While skinny compared to the two in my display, I have no idea what he has eaten, but assumes he eats pods in there.

Once they start eating they will be fine, it just takes a little time.

Haven't tried oyster yet. Did buy some the other day so I can try some but did freeze them already. Maybe I'll pick up another one tomorrow and try that before the frozen one.

I've tried both pumps on and pumps off. A couple days ago I left the pumps off for a good hour. I've tried with lights on and lights off. I also have a mesh covering over the tank at the moment because I'm worried about him escaping and this is helping to subdue the lighting.

I've heard of morays going on "hunger strikes" lasting for weeks at a time but that's probably more in reference to the larger ones - I can't see one as little as this lasting quite as long.

Delphinus
09-25-2008, 05:32 AM
Day 12. Tried tying a small piece of squid to some fishing line and let it dangle in front of the hole I most often see the eel peek out from. Nothing.

Also can add oyster to the list of tried foods so far (yesterday). That was a lovely experience slicing a piece small enough to dangle on the skewer stick. Yum, yum. Gave the rest to my CBB and the crew he shares the tank with - man they went berserk over that.

Eels suck! Geeez. <sigh>

EmilyB
09-25-2008, 05:45 AM
Well, they don't suck, :lol: but they do require some target feeding and patience at first. What does he look like, emaciated???

Chaloupa
09-25-2008, 06:11 AM
Have you opened an oyster, and stuffed it under the rock the eel is usually at? Maybe he's pretty shy and won't eat when you are close.....but the smell of food usually gets them going, mine gets excited when I feed the other fish the frozen foods I use.....worth a try? If you haven't already?

Delphinus
09-25-2008, 07:11 AM
Tried it already. :( I've tried what feels like nearly everything .. except wait the 3 months part I guess.

I can't tell if he's emaciated yet. He never comes out of the rock. Never. The only reason I know he's not dead is I occasionally see a face poke out for a second or so, then darts back in, not to be seen for half an hour to an hour.

There is not the slightest hint of interest in food. I mean it's one thing if the food is the wrong size, but you'd think the smell would at least entice some kind of response before bailing on the idea of eating. It's like there's no sense of smell or something.

One sort of funny thing, he's picked a hole right next to some sun polyps, he's the same colour. It looks like a new sun polyp but with blue eyes. I'd take a picture but .. yeah, I'd have to have the camera out and ready for the 3 or so seconds that the head pokes out in between the hour or two of waiting.

Chaloupa
09-25-2008, 07:18 AM
Oh man.......that's a tough one...maybe he will just start...I would just keep trying. It sucks when one will do so well, and another just doesn't want to get on board. Good luck!

wickedfrags
09-25-2008, 11:58 AM
Does it poke it's head out when you feed the tank?

Delphinus
09-25-2008, 03:25 PM
Nope.

The behaviour just doesn't seem to fit with what you and Chaloupa describe of yours. I got the impression that even though they may not always eat, you at least see them swimming around from time to time? Or at least poking the head out when food is added?

Have to say that this is about the third livestock item in a row that I've purchased that 1) was way too much money to spend and 2) I totally regret having done it because it's not working out.

Delphinus
09-25-2008, 03:43 PM
What's your opinion of maybe the issue is that this is the only fish in the tank? Would a (suitably large enough, of course) dither fish maybe be something to consider? ... Another eel? A mirror on one side maybe???

Willito
09-25-2008, 05:17 PM
Tony, I think your eel is going insane itself in there, maybe add a companion. If it was me, I would try a couple small black mollies next. Perhaps give it sometime to do or hunt.

wickedfrags
09-25-2008, 06:02 PM
I would expect poking the head out when they smell food, at least in my experience. I have a friend with one, think he did not see his for a month, now it is fine, has had it over 2 years.

Nope.

The behaviour just doesn't seem to fit with what you and Chaloupa describe of yours. I got the impression that even though they may not always eat, you at least see them swimming around from time to time? Or at least poking the head out when food is added?

Have to say that this is about the third livestock item in a row that I've purchased that 1) was way too much money to spend and 2) I totally regret having done it because it's not working out.

IMO, no correlation b/w being the only animal in the tank. A customer I sold one to has one in a nano (very cool) and his is just fine.

Maybe add another eel! I have 2 in my display, sometimes they are together in the tank which is very cool. Appparently the can pair up.

What's your opinion of maybe the issue is that this is the only fish in the tank? Would a (suitably large enough, of course) dither fish maybe be something to consider? ... Another eel? A mirror on one side maybe???

Delphinus
10-03-2008, 05:34 PM
Buh, day 21 now. One development, the eel did poke his (her?) head out of the rock when I put some cyclops-eeze into the water.

The eel is rather twitchy. By that I mean he (she?) shakes her head an awful lot, sort of like how you might try to shake water out of your ear after swimming. It's not constant but it is every few minutes. Wish I had a basis of comparison with this thing to know what's a sort of normal behaviour and what isn't. This is something the eel did right from day 1, it's not a new thing.

I just wish it would eat something! Dang it! I know that people say wait a month, but geeeeeeez for something so pretty, it really is a disappointment to never see it, never mind never seeing it get comfortable enough to eat something. :(

Myka
10-03-2008, 11:28 PM
Yeesh!! No luck at all! Have you tried soaking the food in garlic? I will even add it to the water column in some tanks as it says on the label 1 drop per 10g, but I hesitate to add it to reef tanks.

The twitchy thing? Makes me wonder if he has parasites on his gills...

Delphinus
10-03-2008, 11:58 PM
Really? That's not good. Does one do FW dips for eels? :neutral: .. Sigh, I better start readin' up...

Myka
10-04-2008, 12:22 AM
Really? That's not good. Does one do FW dips for eels? :neutral: .. Sigh, I better start readin' up...

I'd look into PraziPro if anything. I'm not sure if eels have sensitivities that normal fish do not.

kipsix
10-04-2008, 03:09 AM
Hey,

New to Canreef but I've had my Golden for about 2 months and the first 9 days were hell when it didn't eat, so I can only imagine 21.... I feel for you.

I vote for Silversides as well. I struggled to get it to eat, then one day cut the head off a silverside stuck it on the feeding stick - BAM gone. That's my vote.

As for behavior, mines in a 29BC with a watchman goby and fire shrimp. Mine does the twitchy thing every now and again - it just make me laugh. I can see mine poking his head out of the rockwork 9 times out of 10 ant any given point during the day. He gets really active at night and does 'laps' of the tank. Only pulled him from the back once. If i throw in food for the shrimp or Goby the Eel goes nuts, he comes out and looks around frantically for the food.

Good luck.:neutral:

Delphinus
10-04-2008, 05:37 AM
Any pictures or videos? Maybe I can get my "fix" by watching yours. :lol:

Welcome to Canreef BTW. :) And thanks for the comments. I haven't tried the head of a silverside yet, that's a good idea. Thanks. I think I'm going to go get me an acrylic feeding stick, I still wonder if the wooden one puts off a smell or something.

Myka
10-04-2008, 07:04 AM
Mine does the twitchy thing every now and again - it just make me laugh.

Hmmm...maybe it's normal for them then...??

EmilyB
10-04-2008, 07:04 AM
:razz:Wooden....?? :lol: It's not sushi Tony...

ShrimSkin
10-04-2008, 02:52 PM
Wow, that sucks. I can only imagine your stress level. Not being able to get a fish/eel to eat is the worst feeling! I would guess he is going after at least some pods or something in the tank. I would try some garlic if you haven't, soak the food in it or drop a few drops in the tank a minute or two before you feed.

Good luck!

Edmonton Eskimo
10-04-2008, 03:17 PM
mine does the head twitch thing as well. It is quite amusing to watch. I guess I have been lucky with mine as now I see him all the time. He is very cool to watch. He has decided that he doesn't like my royal gramma and I can't say I blame him what a d*&k he is!!

kipsix
10-04-2008, 05:56 PM
I think I'm going to go get me an acrylic feeding stick, I still wonder if the wooden one puts off a smell or something.

My guy will nip at the acrylic feeding stick if I put it in w/o any food attached. Same with my Goby, they know what's going on now. Did you get your Eel from J&L? When I got mine there they told me to try feeding it krill but he wouldn't take a bite, eventually one guy gave me a silverside to try and he took it immediately.

Sorry no pics right now.... I'm in the process of moving so maybe when my 65gal shows up I'll get a pic.

You could always chuck in a couple sexy shrimp - everything eats shrimp if they're hungry. I had 4 in w/ a frog fish and they all dissappeared before I realized it. :( (serves me right tho)

Delphinus
10-05-2008, 02:07 AM
It's a satay skewer. Probably bamboo or something. Hey, it was the only thing I could find that was long and thin enough. I was at the LFS earlier today, darn it, I knew I was forgettin' something. :(

There's a lone emerald crab in the tank .. hasn't disappeared yet.

Delphinus
10-17-2008, 11:50 PM
Day 35.. not that I'm counting anymore though (I had to look it up on a calendar). Still no eating. Buh. I wonder if I should move him into a tank with other fish (he's on his own). That way there's more activity and that might draw him out more (like a dither fish effect?). And that way there's always food being added to the tank every day, so there's a better chance of getting used to the idea of "humans bring you food."

Only thing is I'm a bit worried about the escape artist potential. There are 2 tanks I could move him into. The cube tank now has Michika's fish in there and two of those are small chromis (ie., probably a bite sized snack if he ever decides he's hungry), so that tank is out. That leaves a 75g, which is actually fairly well sealed up (strainer on the overflow, canopy with few holes). The main worry is that I have fans in the canopy for airflow with no guards. Maybe this is a silly question, but since eels are known for being escape artists, how far out of the water will they poke out? The fans are only a couple inches above the tank, if he was really motivated he could reach them. Is that a realistic worry?

kipsix
10-18-2008, 02:01 AM
Have you tried the Silversides yet??

I think mine ate my peppermint shrimp..... you could always try that. If you're concerned just have something in the tank for him to eat should he get that hungry, like a clown goby or shrimp that's roughly bite sized. My now deceased peppermint shrimp was easily 2-3 mouthfuls and it's completely gone.

When I had mine in my BC29 he got in the back even thru my über custom eel guard netcontraption. So he must have come an inch or so out of the water. Yesterday when I was transferring him from a temp tank to my 65gal he got out the container and it must have been a solid couple inches out to the floor. The last thing I would do is underestimate these guys.... damn cunning.

Delphinus
10-18-2008, 05:52 AM
Yeah, I've tried silversides. I even chopped a few heads off, skewered them and had them "peek" into his cave like a puppet. :lol: Gruesome but oh well.

To be honest the peppermint shrimp idea did occur to me. I also might try ghost shrimp if I can find any... I hear if you acclimate them real slow they'll last a couple days in SW.

Borderjumper
10-18-2008, 05:58 AM
Yeah, I've tried silversides. I even chopped a few heads off, skewered them and had them "peek" into his cave like a puppet. :lol: Gruesome but oh well.

To be honest the peppermint shrimp idea did occur to me. I also might try ghost shrimp if I can find any... I hear if you acclimate them real slow they'll last a couple days in SW.

Get a couple of big fat female mollys. Acclimate them slowly, and they do really well in salt water. The are livebearers and provide tasty snacks.

Oceanic
10-18-2008, 07:21 PM
Get a couple of big fat female mollys. Acclimate them slowly, and they do really well in salt water. The are livebearers and provide tasty snacks.

I am going to try these Molly's some day. Good suggestion. :idea:

kipsix
10-18-2008, 08:58 PM
So do the mollies actually survive in SW? Or do they just not die right away?

Delphinus
10-19-2008, 06:30 AM
My understanding is they can be acclimated to SW as their natural habitat is brackish estuaries or something like that.

Borderjumper
10-19-2008, 07:00 AM
So do the mollies actually survive in SW? Or do they just not die right away?

I have kept them in SW and they did very well. I had them for 1.5 years then gave them away.

Delphinus
10-20-2008, 06:08 AM
JACKPOT!!! .. on day 37. Tonight he totally ate the squid I offered him. I stuffed it into the entrance (well, one of the entrances) into his burrow, took about 5 minutes but suddenly I saw it get pulled in. I cautiously peeked closer, and saw the eel munching away. Waited a few minutes, tried again with squid-on-a-stick, and he took it off the stick and ate that too. W00ty!!1!!one!! (<-- translation: me happy)

surgeonfish
10-20-2008, 06:44 AM
Tony
I bet you are very happy and relieved. I still want to see more pictures from everyone.
I am starting to get interested in these eels. Keep up the thread.
Shane

Chaloupa
10-20-2008, 07:11 AM
YAHHHHHOOOOOOOO!

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c212/Chaloupa/gifs/congratstext.gif
Everytime I see the email with this post...I say to myself..PLEASE let it be Tony saying his eel ate....and YAY this time it happened! I am soooo glad for you!

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c212/Chaloupa/congarats.gif

OCDP
10-20-2008, 06:27 PM
That's awesome Tony. He went on quite the hunger strike hey??

Anyways, congrats!

Delphinus
01-02-2009, 05:45 PM
Anyhow, mine has hit the sad ending of its story. Haven't seen it all week so finally decided enough was enough and took apart the tank. He's not in there. Not in the sump either. Either he perished and was scavenged (found a nasty large red eyed crab while taking the rocks out) or he's managed to find his way out of the tank. Either way, no more eel. :(

This has been a rough stressful ride the last 4 months trying to keep this thing happy. I don't think I'll get another.

fishoholic
01-02-2009, 06:01 PM
Anyhow, mine has hit the sad ending of its story. Haven't seen it all week so finally decided enough was enough and took apart the tank. He's not in there. Not in the sump either. Either he perished and was scavenged (found a nasty large red eyed crab while taking the rocks out) or he's managed to find his way out of the tank. Either way, no more eel. :(

This has been a rough stressful ride the last 4 months trying to keep this thing happy. I don't think I'll get another.

Awhhh, that sucks :sad: Sorry for your loss.

Delphinus
01-02-2009, 06:25 PM
Yeah, I'm really sort of depressed about it actually. Thing that is driving me crazy is not knowing what happened. Do I tear my basement apart looking for a long thin carpet jerky that might not be there? It's always amazing to me how fast caracasses disappear in a reef tank, but I would have guessed in a smaller tank that there would be some evidence one way or the other.

Chaloupa
01-02-2009, 06:34 PM
OH NO...sooo sorry to hear Tony!

Delphinus
01-02-2009, 07:26 PM
Hmmm, well, at least I don't have to wonder any longer. I found him. :cry: He did get out after all. Pretty gruesome.

This is what he managed to get out of:
http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn239/delphinus_photos/P1020001.jpg

He either got out through the little uncovered gap by the locline or the right hand side because the acrylic was starting to warp and lift a little on that side. I've been wondering all week how to fix that warp but .. well I guess I don't need to worry about it anymore.

Guess if I every try again I'll have a huge box built around the tank top so that there is ZERO chance of escape. I won't put any eels into my 280g now because as an inwall tank I don't know how to enclose the tank 100% AND still be able to feed the fish on a daily basis (and not make it a huge burden for anyone taking care of the tank when I'm away on vacations or work or whatever).

I feel so ... unbelievably affected right now. :( Part of me wants to feel sad about the eel (and does), part of me is like ... I should be relieved it's not something worse, .. and I feel for my friends at the restaurant. They are going to be so traumatized.. I .. feel so incredibly heavy hearted today.

kipsix
01-02-2009, 07:50 PM
Yikes, that sucks. I'm sorry for your loss. You had a rough go with that little guy.

What an escape artist he must have been, your tank is sealed up better than mine is right now.

Pan
01-03-2009, 03:16 AM
My new eel...."he's" only about 7-8" long...just got him from J&L on Friday. Good thing they double bagged him...many holes in the bag from him biting it! Seems to have settled in and as of today is eating.....
First pic to give some perspective to his small size;
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c212/Chaloupa/GoldenDwarfMorayEel.jpg

Closeup to show detail and his blue eyes;
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c212/Chaloupa/GoldenDwarfMorayEel2.jpg
Aaw..cutie.

What do you feed him and how?

Chaloupa
01-03-2009, 04:14 AM
I feed fresh oyster and clam....he either fights his way to the open seafood left for the copperband and other residents or I give him a chunk on a pair of long plastic tongs...he eats well..and is fairly social. I quite enjoy him!

Pan
01-03-2009, 04:35 AM
I feed fresh oyster and clam....he either fights his way to the open seafood left for the copperband and other residents or I give him a chunk on a pair of long plastic tongs...he eats well..and is fairly social. I quite enjoy him!
do you have many boisterous fish in with him?

Chaloupa
01-03-2009, 06:59 AM
I have a Copperband Butterfly, 5" Harlequin Tusk Wrasse, 5-6" Coris Wrasse, pair of NASTY Maroon Clownfish, Rabbitfish and that's it...so they are boisterous...and very very fast!

subman
03-26-2009, 07:45 PM
I am the proud owner of Edmonton Eskimo's now and I have to say they are one of the coolest things in my tank. He hides a lot but when any food hits the tank there he is poking about. Mine eats everything except silversides :surprise: but then again I can't get anything to eat them (maybe I got a bad batch or something) I mix up his food from clams, scallops, octopus, squid, krill and prawns. They are amazing animals!!

Delphinus
03-26-2009, 07:50 PM
Any pictures? :)

subman
03-26-2009, 07:56 PM
Any pictures? :)

I'll get some at feeding time! not the easiest thing to photograph though:neutral:

subman
03-27-2009, 03:01 AM
Here's a pic:
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b87/subman001/IMG_6308.jpg

Delphinus
03-27-2009, 03:05 AM
Awesome!!

subman
03-27-2009, 04:12 AM
Thanks!
I was sorry to read about yours I've been very lucky with mine he ate the night i put him in! I guess I have Jason (edmonton eskimo) to thank for that though.

Chaloupa
09-02-2009, 06:42 AM
thought I would update this....the tank the eel has been in was slowly taken down as I sold it and was hoping for a very large upgrade to replace it...but that's a whole other story. So the eel, Coris Wrasse and a Convict Tang were the only fish left in the tank....the rest had been sold or transfered to the 150g. The eel would NOT eat. We tried oysters, mussels, shrimp, prawn, clams, you name it we tried it with no luck. So, were getting ready to go on holidays for 3 weeks and decided to transfer the remaining fish to the 150g and take down the 120g so there would be one less tank for our fish sitter (who by the way was AWESOME and the tanks look great!) The next day we left....so come home yesterday and no losses no problems.....and not sure if the eel would have survived the move and the fact that he hadn't eaten in over 6 weeks.

Tonight I was feeding the very stocked tank...out pops the eel in many different hidey holes...and is eating MYSIS!!!! Searching it out and eating it!!!! Now that is something I've never heard of and thought I would share...so not only did he survive the starvation, move to the other tank and no target feeding for the time we were away, he actually likes to eat mysis!!! I am thrilled.

Oh yeah, also my Achilles that I got several weeks ago that eats only algae also ate mysis tonight! I am thrilled!!! Just thrilled!!!

Oh yeah, also, the Spotted Mandarins are spawning AGAIN! They are doing the dance at the top of the tank like crazy and she is soooo fat! I've seen them do it before but they are starting tonight before lights out!

Skimmerking
09-02-2009, 11:08 AM
that is great news Sarah, glad to hear that the achillies is easting mysis, and the eel too.

Myka
09-02-2009, 01:29 PM
Awesome!!! I have been considering adding one of these eels to my reef too. Not sure I have enough hidey holes though, and whether the eel will get along with the 4 jawfish.

Chaloupa
09-02-2009, 01:32 PM
I would recommend one as long as you find one that is eating well. They are neat and mine is actually very visible now...with his "hunting" behavior of mysis! He was out ALOT last night!

I have no jawfish but do have several bottom dwelling small fish.....sand perch, pair of mandarins, etc. He's not on the bottom much, just in the rock holes.

subman
09-02-2009, 01:40 PM
+1 If you can find one thats eating scoop it up! They are a beautiful addition to any tank.

Lance
09-02-2009, 04:56 PM
That's Great News Sarah! Good to hear.