PDA

View Full Version : Lighting Components - Kelowna Area

Oscar
03-26-2008, 03:32 AM
My actinics failed this weekend. It turns out one of the T5 sockets was faulty and it fried. It was bad enough that it would not turn to release the tube so I had to take the box apart to get the tube out.

Where would I find T5 sockets in Kelowna area? How do I tell a shunted from unshunted socket?

I may have fried the actinics tube as well. Where would I find a 24" Aqua Blue?

Thanks in advance.

argan
03-26-2008, 06:56 AM
try a hydroponics store, one in kamloops has cheap fixtures and 10k bulbs

Oscar
03-26-2008, 09:44 AM
Great idea, thanks. Do they also stock actinic bulbs incase I have blown mine?

Myka
03-26-2008, 02:15 PM
Place an order with J&L before 11am today via email, or very shortly thereafter via phone and they'll UPS it to you. You get it quick, and it will be higher quality than hydroponics stores. You'll only find actinic bulbs at fish stores. I know Total Pet in Kelowna has the Hagen GLO brand of T5HO. Are yours HO or not?

brizzo
03-26-2008, 02:38 PM
I would suggest Better than Nature hydroponics near mccurdy (blue heights or whatever its called? darcy's pawn brokers).. They have a huge selection of T5 hardware; And yes, they do have actinic bulbs there. When you're at the service counter, look above you and there is a T5 bulb display that has actinic bulbs in it! :)

Oscar
03-26-2008, 07:41 PM
I would suggest Better than Nature hydroponics near mccurdy (blue heights or whatever its called? darcy's pawn brokers).. They have a huge selection of T5 hardware; And yes, they do have actinic bulbs there. When you're at the service counter, look above you and there is a T5 bulb display that has actinic bulbs in it! :)

Thanks, I will give them a try.

grant

mseepman
03-26-2008, 09:54 PM
Hey Oscar, other than the light issue, how is the tank progressing? I picked up a 16" starfire cube in Calgary last weekend and will be setting up my first nano shortly.

Oscar
03-27-2008, 12:02 AM
Fedex should be delivering the replacement parts for my cabinet today. Then I can assemble the cabinet in the house and move the tank to its final location.

For the past 3 weeks it has been running in the workshop on my workbench. It was a great opportunity to see how it works, test the skimmer, figure out my water loss and blow a tube!

I bought live rock from InteeriorReef 2 weeks ago and moved it into the tank after a week in the Rubbermaid tub. Then I set the light timer up incorrectly over the Easter weekend, went to the Coast then discovered that the Actinics were on all weekend. Hence the light failure and major growth of algae.

On Monday I bought a couple of hermits in Penticton to start to work on the algae. They have lots of work ahead of them.

So hoepfully by the end of the weekend I will be finally setup in the house.