PDA

View Full Version : Frogspawn Color

brizzo
03-25-2008, 11:19 PM
I have a 'brown' branching frogspawn that I've had for about 7 months now. In the last few days some tentacles have started to turn green from brown; going green to brown, from bottom to top. All tips are pink.

Last month when I upgraded from pc to mh, I rushed the light acclimation and had a small ammonia spike, which affected the health of everything in my tank.....

Would this color change be part of the healing/growing process, or having upgraded lighting? The frogspawn flourished under the PC lighting (always fully extended, grew 3 more polyps) I got the frogspawn from reefkeepers, and in their tank it showed noooo sign of green then

skylord
03-25-2008, 11:47 PM
Green makes them worth more so thats a good thing. I would think the lights are the reason but still good. I have 3 differnt types and all have some green in them.

Scott

Myka
03-26-2008, 01:15 AM
It's lighting upgrade. I have a Hammer frag that is a wicked neon green with purple tips that I bought from under MH lighting. I have it under T5s, and it's not nearly as bright. I'm confident the color will come back when I upgrade to MH. :)

brizzo
03-26-2008, 01:36 AM
Sweet! I am very pleased with results of the metal halides! Shimmer = A+

bv_reefer
03-26-2008, 11:47 PM
ya brown-green and vice versa is common, the last colony i got, brown acro with purple tips, turned bright green with blue tips, but since we're talking about lps here, same thing happened with my plate coral, total color morph from tan with white tips to greenish with white tips, yup..power of halides:smile:

hecks220
03-27-2008, 04:18 AM
A poor light acclimation causes overproduction of nutrients from zooanthelae in the tissues of corals. This rapid unaccustomed buildup causes toxicity in the coral...tone it down and good luck