PDA

View Full Version : I think I murdered my sea hare!

Treebeard
03-25-2008, 09:13 PM
I picked up a sea hare and a Royal Gramma yesterday at Golds. Oh ya...also a Koralia 3 powerhead. Went home for lunch at found some mangled remains hanging from the powerhead and the sea hare was nowhere to be seen! I did not think there was anyway he could have gone though the grill but I have a hunch he was sucked through like cheese through a grater! Crap!

untamed
03-25-2008, 09:26 PM
I hate powerheads. You need to put a larger grill surrounding the intake of the powerhead somehow. They shouldn't even make them without very large intake grills.

Der_Iron_Chef
03-25-2008, 09:59 PM
My sea hare had a near-fatal accident with a Seio powerhead. I only have Koralia 3's in the tank now, and the sea hare is able to crawl all over them without being sucked in. Granted, he IS a big boy.

fiorano
03-25-2008, 10:07 PM
i used to have these old power heads and the intake was a small hole probably about 1/2 inch and one morning i woke up and saw my regal stuck to my power head. she lived but now she had a crazy hicky looking thing on her side for awhile hahaha

mark
03-25-2008, 11:55 PM
no problem with the tank after chopping up a hare?

Myka
03-26-2008, 01:13 AM
Them seahare's are toxic! I'd do a large waterchange if I were you!

dsaundry
03-26-2008, 01:55 AM
Seahare woe's.....If the tank water isn't purple you are probably ok..I have had a couple of incidents with seahares..I finally put sponge around all my intakes and no more sea hare accidents..works well with anenomes too. My son's tank went all purple when his seahare got caught in an intake..as for toxins..hard to say how it would affect it as he transfered all his livestock very quicly in to another tank..he did some water changes over the next few days and all the stuff on the rock was fine..no worse for wear..so unless a member has had a massive die off I dont think I would panic just yet..Do a partial water change and if you dont have any put some charcoal or chemi-pure in a filter...good luck..:biggrin:

ElGuappo
03-26-2008, 03:58 AM
I had a seahare die on me and nothing out of the ordinary happened aside from my skimmer cup filling faster than usual.

justinl
03-26-2008, 07:02 AM
sea hares are not toxic. I think you're thinking about nudibranchs or sea cucumbers. But yeah they do decompose surprisingly fast and that could lead to water quality problems if the tank is small enough.

sea hares, sea cukes, and the like all need tanks that have nothing that might suck em up and/or chop em up; sponge or fine mesh over intakes is recommended. koralia's are notoriously bad for acting as blenders. remember that these guys are really soft and are really nothing more than sacks of flesh filled with goo. they can shift their shape quite easily.

Treebeard
03-26-2008, 02:09 PM
There is nothing out of the ordinary in the tank this morning. I just received my RO/DI unit from Aquasafe this last night and I will do a good water change after I get it setup and generate a few gallons.

ElGuappo
03-26-2008, 03:58 PM
I have have had 2 koralias in my tank since day 1 and never ahad an accident with a seahare. the grill is to small for him to get chopped . mind you i have a koralia 1 and nano. also all snail go over these aswell with no problems.

geobee
03-27-2008, 02:17 AM
it doesn't sound like murder to me,,more like man ahhh sea hare slaughter!