PDA

View Full Version : Magenta Dottyback Wont Eat

Josh23
03-25-2008, 01:08 AM
I purchased a Magenta Dottyback over the weekend and I'm having trouble encouraging himi to eat. He ate the first night but nothing since. he swims around poking at the food but nothing. Won't take a bit. I've feed brine shrimp, brine shrimp with chunks of real shrimp and both soak with garlyic and still nothing. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks
Josh

Josh23
03-25-2008, 03:55 AM
anyone have any thoughts or food products I should try?

jasond
03-25-2008, 04:44 AM
How long has it been since you got him? I would guess he will come around, I have had new fish that take a while, just keep trying different kinds of food (and the garlic thing) and eventually should start eating. My dottyback was a pig, so odds are he just isnt hungry enough yet!

fishoholic
03-25-2008, 06:37 PM
try cyclopezze

Josh23
03-25-2008, 11:24 PM
He didn't eat again today but he seems interested. When I dump the food in he swims around and looks at it but won't eat it. Ill keep trying and hopefully he'll change.

What is cyclopezze and where can I get it?

Delphinus
03-25-2008, 11:54 PM
I hardly ever saw my orchid dottyback eat for quite some time when I got him. However, I kept feeding the tank hoping he'd eat, and he's still around. A year or so later, he's a lot more comfortable with his surroundings that he comes out all the time and you can see him eating.

Might just be a dottyback thing ... maybe they don't need a whole heck of a lot to sustain themselves.

Cyclops-eeze you should be able to get at any LFS - I like the frozen stuff better than the freeze-dried (the freeze dried floats terribly - you need to soak it for a long time to rehydrate to the point where it doesn't stick to the surface). But the only problem with the frozen is you have to buy this enormous brick of it that will last you forever and ever (likely spoiling due to freezer burn before you use it up). Nevertheless it's good stuff to have on hand. I find fish look more colourful when they have this regularly too, there's something to it.

Anyhow good luck!