PDA

View Full Version : Anyone currently using LED lighting?

Telford
03-24-2008, 08:14 PM
I'd love to see some pictures and hear what people's experiences are with LED's.

michika
03-24-2008, 08:15 PM
Do you mean as your main source of light?

I use them as moonlights. I like them, they've done me well.

Keri
03-24-2008, 08:22 PM
I've seen the Full LED systems FS (on an empty, no water tank) but not actually in action. Would love to see pics!

Telford
03-24-2008, 08:25 PM
Yeah, i meant as your main light source. Particularly Solaris brand...

Keri
03-24-2008, 08:26 PM
I think i saw it at J&L but it wasn't over anything.

michika
03-24-2008, 08:32 PM
I've seen them, and while they seem to put out nice light, I've heard less then good things about the solaris fixture. Try searching for it on RC, there are a few people there who have tried them out. Biggest issues that I remember were the cost, burn out of the LEDs and replacement of the burnt out strips.

justinl
03-24-2008, 08:57 PM
Yeah I had heard the same things as Catherine. If you look on J&L's site, some of the solaris fixtures are on sale (have been for a long while now)... makes you wonder. I think LEDs as a main light source is a good idea, but the current tech available to that regard needs some more work. Id bide my time and money and wait for something that really functions. I feel guilty about my MH for example because i know they are energy hogs, but what can ya do right?

Rumika
03-25-2008, 01:34 AM
I have them and are using them on our tank right now. I have the Solaris I-4. We really like it and have no complaints so far. I will post some pictures, I have been meaning to start my new tank thread so I will try and do that soon here.

Zylumn
03-25-2008, 02:36 AM
I have the 36" Solaris 20k lights and love them. Quiet , cool and it is nice to fiddle with your light intensity. I have softies and everything seems to love it.
Kevin ( pics later)