PDA

View Full Version : Need a structural engineer

michika
03-24-2008, 02:25 AM
I need a structural engineer to look through a property I want to purchase. I'm looking for someone to discuss putting a larger tank on a concrete floor. PM or post names and numbers if you have them.

As far as I can calculate the tank I'm considering will have approximately 180lbs/sqft. I need to speak to someone before I make and offer, so that I can write any changes I want to make/need to make into my offer.

Short of going through the phone book, has anyone here used someone or a company they liked?

Myka
03-24-2008, 02:28 AM
Talk to someone in the contractors department at a Home Hardware or Home Depot. They should be able to give you a name. :)

Side note...as long as the house is properly built, there shouldn't be a problem with 180lbs/sqft. As long as you go perpendicular across the floor joists, or the concrete is thick enough.

PS Didn't you post this same question a couple months back? Didn't we already disagree about it? :lol:

michika
03-24-2008, 02:39 AM
as long as the house is properly built, there shouldn't be a problem with 180lbs/sqft. As long as you go perpendicular across the floor joists, or the concrete is thick enough.

1) Not for a house
2) No joists in concrete
3) Concrete is from 1977

I want someone's first hand experiences with a firm or an individual. Since this structure is older I need someone to do some work to look into all the variables that can impact this tank; thickness, the mix, amount & size of rebar. I need someone who can perform, or have someone do, a deflection test before I make an offer. Do you know anyone who can do this?

Myka
03-24-2008, 02:43 AM
No need to be snippy darling. That how we got all disagreed last time. ;)

It's not a house? Is it a commercial building then or what? I mentioned about the floor joists just as a general comment. :)

Pan
03-24-2008, 02:45 AM
Its the special wooden concrete...or concrete wood....i forget :)

call an inspection service and they could proably recommend someone, plus if you did higher an actual inspection company it would be in writing and if problems occured later they would be liable...to some extent anyways.

Also I am far from a concrete expert but after having to re-pour a front step and walkway I learned that floors/foundations etc poured that long ago would be different than now. Different mixes and all. But one thing for sure if it was not maintained properly than it would most assuredly be weaker than required. I would mention specifics but I cannot recall exact details, only remebr if it (concrete) is not maintained properly after 5+ years it degrades quite a lot. Dunno if this was helpful but...i tried :)

michika
03-24-2008, 02:53 AM
I put in a few words with some engineering friends (I think I have just opened a SCARY can o worms), but we will see what comes of it.

I don't even know of an inspection service here, but I will check around and see if someone can recommend one to me.

Pan
03-24-2008, 02:55 AM
I put in a few words with some engineering friends (I think I have just opened a SCARY can o worms), but we will see what comes of it.

I don't even know of an inspection service here, but I will check around and see if someone can recommend one to me.
My uncle used one in calgary a year or so ago, i'll find out if he liked them and would recommend them. It will take a couple days though.

michika
03-24-2008, 03:02 AM
I'm not in an overly huge rush, I can wait for a good thing.

Pan
03-24-2008, 03:04 AM
I'm not in an overly huge rush, I can wait for a good thing.

Wha.....OH! :redface:

toxic111
03-24-2008, 03:23 AM
For what you are looking for, try AMEC earth & environmental, they do concrete testing, check the yellow pages to see if there is one in Calgary.

I have used them in the past for concrete testing on foundations. They would probably be your best bet over a structural engineer (they usally have one on staff anyway)

Based on my experience in the industry, older concrete is on average than the current stuff. If you are looking at a standard basement floor, 180lbs/ft2 is not that much, even with no rebar, a garage floor is the same thinkness, and is holding much more per foot.

One thing to watch for is any existing cracking, that might indicate a problem, or it may not, as all concrete cracks, it is normal.

BTW I have over 15yrs experience in the design & building industry, so I do have a bit of an idea on what I am talking about.

You could also increase the loading by addind some sidewalk blocks under the tank, which would spread the load over a greater area.

Hope that helps some.

michika
03-24-2008, 03:30 AM
Lets say there is one of these offices in Calgary, what or who do I ask for?

This is for a second floor condo, the whole structure is concrete, but I want it tested before I buy. What I want is to put a long and shallow tank, 8ft long, 3ft wide, and 18-24" deep. The 180 is a guess assuming everything; sump, etc.

When you say add sidewalk blocks under the tank what do you mean? Cinder blocks? I was hoping to do a powder coated steel stand. I don't want to spend the money and find out I can't put this system in. Is there another way to spread the load better? The floor would be finished with laminate (I think) or maybe its hardwood.

toxic111
03-24-2008, 03:47 AM
I did some checking and there is a AMEC in Calgary, several offices anyway.

As for who or what to ask for, just say what you said at the start of the page, and they should be able to direct you to who you need to talk to.

I was thinking this was a basement, but it is a second floor condo. might be a little more difficult to do. If you had a copy of the orginal structural drawings, it would help.

I think you are looking a bit of a cost to find out. A open floor it is hard to say what loading it was designed for. A standard structural load for residential construction will be much less than what you may need.

As for the sidewalk blocks, again that was for a basement floor, they are about 24"x24"x2". They would work good in a basement but I don't think they would be best for a second floor.

Myka
03-24-2008, 03:47 AM
Lets say there is one of these offices in Calgary, what or who do I ask for?

This is for a second floor condo, the whole structure is concrete, but I want it tested before I buy. What I want is to put a long and shallow tank, 8ft long, 3ft wide, and 18-24" deep. The 180 is a guess assuming everything; sump, etc.

When you say add sidewalk blocks under the tank what do you mean? Cinder blocks? I was hoping to do a powder coated steel stand. I don't want to spend the money and find out I can't put this system in. Is there another way to spread the load better? The floor would be finished with laminate (I think) or maybe its hardwood.

I'm not sure you care for my advice, but...

Sidewalk blocks are those solid concrete ones that are about 18x18x2"...something like that.

The condo should still be floor joists with a concrete slab over top. ;)

With the 36" width, be sure you can get it in the door. You'll need a 38" door, as a 36" door has only a 35" opening because the jamb is narrower than the door.

A metal stand doesn't spread the weight out nearly as well as a wood stand, so that may contribute to your weight issue. Depending how the stand is made you may have as few as 4 weight points.

96x36x18 = 265 gallons, spread over 24 sqft = 11 g/sqft which = 92 lbs/sqft. If there is only 4 weight points this would be 550 lbs/sqft.

96x36x24 = 360 gallons, spread over 24 sqft = 15 g/sqft which = 125 lbs/sqft. If there is only 4 weight points this would be 750 lbs/sqft.

mark
03-24-2008, 04:45 AM
condo?

Assuming you've checked with the board they're ok with a large tank before dropping cash on an inspection?

skylord
03-24-2008, 06:07 AM
Another reefer from this board just went through this. The strata required him to have either a 2 milion or 5 milion insurance policy on his tank. And it was only a 160. They made it so bad for him that he sold everything even though he got the policy. I would be worried about the strata and talk to them before I talked to any one else.

Scott

michika
03-24-2008, 04:57 PM
I have left a message with AMEC, and I am waiting on a return call.

I have discussed this with the condo association, and they have indicated that they pretty much don't care what I do. However, I am thinking I will have legal papers drawn up to reflect their okay-ness just in case. Are there any questions that I should be asking the Condo association specifically?

My insurance already covers my tank and any damages it may call, I will ask about it further though, in case I need additional coverage.