PDA

View Full Version : Black Slime Algae

Mugster
02-19-2002, 10:06 PM
Can someone help me out here. My 180 gal has been up and running since before Christmas. My problem is lately I've been experiencing an outbreak of a black slime algae, mostly on my substrate and in areas of low flow/current. I've tried shortening the light period and cutting back on feeding but after cleaning it out it still reappears after a few days.

I syphon out the algae and sand it's attached to and thoroughly was the sand(fine crushed coral) before putting it back into the tank. Is there a way of getting rid of it altogether or is this something that has to be dealt with on an ongoing basis? images/smiles/icon_confused.gif

One_Divided
02-19-2002, 10:57 PM
what are you using for top off/water changes? just tap water? or RO? RO/DI?

Mugster
02-19-2002, 11:35 PM
I'm using RO water. I was thinking of adding the DI cartridge to my RO unit.

pocilipora
02-20-2002, 01:35 AM
Sounds like your tank is just going through a cycle, your system is still new. Make sure your doing regular water changes. It will dissapear!!!!

Jack
02-20-2002, 02:13 AM
Yeah, my local dive shop has black algae like you are talking about, they don't use RO/DI so I would guess that would be your problem after your break in period. Even if you use pure water, you still go through a bit of algae stages, it will go away. Also, algae grows in low/stagnant water, so maybe direct some powerheads or your return line near that to change things up. I think it will be fine and go away on its own though.