PDA

View Full Version : Lost Clown Goby

KennyKen
03-24-2008, 01:08 AM
This is my first fish i have added to the tank, and he is already missing. I understand they are small and elusive, and i dont really have the branching corals they require, but its been a week since he was added, and no sign of him.

He hasnt come out for a single feeding yet. I acclimated him for a good 3 hours, but not QT him.

I really dont want to pull out rock looking for him. But what other choice is there.

On a good note, all my hermits and shrimp are in plain sight, so i guess that means arent feeding on his dead corpse? is this a fair assumption.

Keri
03-24-2008, 08:24 PM
Check your overflow or if you have a HOB...mine used to jump back there all the time.

Brent F
03-24-2008, 10:24 PM
Check the floor if the tank is open top.

If it did die in the tank it could have been cleaned up by the hermits one night without you knowing it so your crabs being in plain sight doesn't make much difference.

I have a Green Clown Goby and the only time I see it is when feeding with frozen foods (brine shrimp or worms). It quickly darts out and grabs a piece. When feeding pellets or freeze dried food it never comes out.

marie
03-24-2008, 11:46 PM
They are very good at hiding. Twice now, when I've removed rocks to clean the algae off, my clown goby has gone for the ride and ended up sitting in the bottom of the bucket :rolleyes:

bv_reefer
03-31-2008, 07:39 PM
lol so many people have trouble with these little guys, i've heard they can go sometimes for weeks on end, mind you one downfall with having alot of live rock

WhoPoopWrasse
04-12-2008, 01:28 AM
My little guys are always out. I do have 2 green clown gobys in QT right now though but I don't know how they'll be when it comes to being out in the open. They look much more timid! :mrgreen:

Tom R
04-12-2008, 02:11 AM
I bought 3 green clown gobies put them into my 125G mixed Reef never to see them again. About 2 years later I put a good sized Green Millepora into the tank after a short period of time noticed that the polyps in the middle of the Millepora were not opening and there he was one of the missing gobies was alive and well living in the protection of the Millepora. The other 2 seem to be missing in action.

Tom R

KennyKen
04-12-2008, 04:12 AM
Are they pretty much just interested in stony branching corals?

KennyKen
04-12-2008, 04:13 AM
I also havent seen my fire goby in weeks? Are they the same way, or is it safe to say he is sleeping with tthe fishes ( no pun intended)

Pier Pressure
04-13-2008, 05:56 PM
I bought a yellow clown goby about a week ago and it is always hanging out at the front in the corner of the tank, about halfway down. Funny thing is if I open the lid to feed he takes off into the rocks. I have seen his reflection in the back of the tank and he does seem to be darting out quick and then back into his little hidey hole at feeding time so I think he is eating. I can see them being very timid, though, and not showing themselves for a long time.