PDA

View Full Version : Timer Question

Myka
03-24-2008, 12:23 AM
Is there such a thing as a timer that has two plugs, and it will switch from one plug to the other, so that when one is on, the other is off that you can set to do...say, 30 or 60 minute intervals?

mark
03-24-2008, 01:25 AM
Look into waver makers such as here (http://www.bluelineaquatics.com/products/wavemaker/index.html)

bv_reefer
03-24-2008, 05:07 AM
woods dual-outlet timer, thats the one i'm using myka, it's got some 20+ programs set on it to choose from. I've been using it for a couple months now, and once you get it figured out it's real reliable, and if theres ever a blackout it remains on and charged, so you don't gotta reprogram it :smile:

Myka
03-24-2008, 05:29 AM
Both of those sound waaaaaay more expensive than what I'm looking for. I'm looking for just a simple $20-30 piece of equipment that I'd hopefully find at Home Depot or something. I just want it to run 2 powerheads so that when one is on the other is off. It's for my baby Bangaii's, and if both powerheads are on together it will be too much flow, but one of the powerheads is a return sort of thing. I don't want the return to run all the time because it will flush the BBS out, but I don't want their tank stagnant when the return isn't running either. So I want the powerhead to run when the return is off, and the powerhead off when the return is going. Hard to explain...lol.

Floop70
03-24-2008, 05:40 AM
I think this (http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/store_pages/product-info.php?product_ID=WM-ESUPCD) may be at least close to what you are looking for. I use it for lights. The blue and yellow outlets alternate... when one is on the other is off and vice versa.

Bruce

Myka
03-24-2008, 05:57 AM
Hey thanks! That's close, but "Can be set to turn on/off 7 times per day" means it won't change it up often enough. I'm thinking if I can't find the type of timer I'm looking for that I will just use an airstone for circulation while the return is off. That would be easy enough...should do the trick too. :)

bv_reefer
03-24-2008, 06:19 AM
no, the woods timer is only $15, has so many programs like timing intervals for instance. for me it's real straight forward, go on at 12 and go off at 7.

Floop70
03-24-2008, 06:36 AM
I wonder if the mechanical (http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/store_pages/product-info.php?product_ID=wm-esupc) version would work better for you? I would guess that you can program it on / off as many times as you want in a day.

Pan
03-24-2008, 06:51 AM
I would steer clear of the coralife timers, they do not have a very good reputation.

bv_reefer
03-24-2008, 06:55 AM
mik_101 got one a month ago or so, and he barely, just barely programed it, there a disaster in terms of programming the times and intervals you want, in general i'd never get a corlife timers myka

Nevin
03-24-2008, 07:26 AM
Coralife digital works well for me, but not suitable for this application.

Assuming that a SCWD won't do it for you, what about this?

http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/store_pages/product-info.php?product_ID=wm-nwt

By the way, I assume you've solved this problem, but I notice they're selling egg tumblers at canadianaquatics.com.

Regards,
Nevin

Glennrf38
03-24-2008, 03:04 PM
I have one of the Corallife dual timers (not digital) and they can be programmed for every 15 minutes I think. I don't like mine very much as it can't seem to keep time. I have to move it ahead everyday. But other than that it works fine.

Floop70
03-24-2008, 04:43 PM
Guess my program is really easy... lights on at 10, lights off at 9... every day. :D

Myka
03-24-2008, 04:49 PM
Thanks for all the input everyone. So far, none of the posted ones will turn on/off often enough except the Coralife ones, and I won't buy Coralife. Those timers are notoriously faulty...ask any LFS who sells them regularly how many they get back in a month!! :lol:

I couldn't find a suitable timer in the Woods online catalog, so I emailed them. :)

Drock169
03-24-2008, 05:08 PM
Myka, Canadian tire has digital indoor timers with up to 20 programable settings. I think they are made by noma. If you need a picture I can send on later tonight are work. I have a bunch of them.

Myka
03-24-2008, 05:13 PM
Hey Drock, ya I was just gonna go check out the hardware stores, but I figured I'd ask on here in case there is something out there that would work even better.

The problem isn't finding a timer that will change a bunch of times a day, the problem is finding a timer that has TWO inlets that will switch on/off opposite of eachother. That's the trouble. Most of them are just single inlet. I may be able to make it work with two of those type of timers, but I'm not in any hurry, so I have time to see if what I want actually exists! :lol:

Okguy
03-24-2008, 11:13 PM
Here is a link Mseepman sent me.

http://www.instrumentpro.com/P-CHASF4005.html

I believe Mark knows where you can buy them locally. Thought it might meet your needs.

Kevin

Myka
03-24-2008, 11:19 PM
Now that's look about right!!! Thanks for posting! :)

sharuq1
03-25-2008, 12:31 AM
At the petstore in Lacombe they have a wave timer plug in thing that can be set from 20seconds up to..I forget. It's like $130 or something though..