PDA

View Full Version : Pharmacuetical Additives for Reef tanks (Any Pharmacist Reefers here?)

VFX
03-23-2008, 07:24 PM
Has anyone looked into using pharmacuetical additives for their reefs instead of the usual LFS stocked stuff: Kent Liquid Calcium, Seachem Reef Advantage etc.

For example, would a standard calcium tablet dissovled in freshly mixed salt water be safe to use?

It's safe enough to give to people with mineral dificiencies so I'm guessing it's safe for reefs.

My partner is a pharmacist & can get cheap supplies of pharmacuetical grade magnesium, calcium, potassium, etc. tablets...

She tells me it should be fine but I'd like a second opinion! :mrgreen:

hillbillyreefer
03-23-2008, 08:08 PM
I would think it would be a higher quality/purity than food grade. Food grade seems to be the standard we like to see for additives. Shouldn't be a problem with pharmaceutical grade. May have to do some calculations to figure out quantities. I'd say go for it.

Myka
03-23-2008, 11:01 PM
In my experience, chemicals designed for reefs far out perform the raw ingredients. I'm not 100% sure why, but I think the reef manufacturers know something...like maybe that's why they add 'other stuff'. I think the 'other stuff' plays an important role. ;)

I used to use Dow Flake, Mag Flake, epsoms salts, baking soda, etc. I changed to using SeaChem and Kent products (mostly), and I think my reef is much better off.

i2ik
03-24-2008, 01:39 AM
i do add some pharmaceutical additive in my tank such as Iodine and potassium, up to now, its been working great and i have been saving a lot! :)

VFX
03-24-2008, 02:25 AM
Thanks for your views... I think I'm gonna try it.

Calc, Magnesium, Iodine & Potassium.

It'll save me a fortune compared to buying in stuff from a LFS.

michika
03-24-2008, 02:27 AM
Would you post your results? I am really interested in how this works out for you.

VFX
03-24-2008, 02:28 AM
Would you post your results? I am really interested in how this works out for you.

Sure, will do.

:)

michika
03-24-2008, 02:32 AM
Thank you, I appreciate it!