PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Filter new SW?

untamed
03-23-2008, 04:18 PM
Everytime I make a batch of new SW, it is cloudy. I'm considering running this through some sort of filter before using it. Does anyone do this? What filter do you use? Do you recirculate throught the filter, or just pass the SW water through 1x?

DanG
03-23-2008, 04:21 PM
I always let NSW sit in a bucket with a powerhead for 24 hours minimum before it goes into my tank. It's crystal clear when it goes in. What salt are you using?

justinl
03-23-2008, 04:25 PM
At first I would expect it to be cloudy with undissolved salt crystals, but over time it should go clear. If it doesn't then that would be a problem!

Myka
03-23-2008, 04:28 PM
I always let NSW sit in a bucket with a powerhead for 24 hours minimum before it goes into my tank. It's crystal clear when it goes in. What salt are you using?

Me too. Mine has a heater in it as well set to the display tank temp, and this seems to make a big difference in the mix time.

untamed
03-23-2008, 05:10 PM

At first I would expect it to be cloudy with undissolved salt crystals, but over time it should go clear. If it doesn't then that would be a problem!

Hmm..I let 50 gallons circulate in a mixer for 24 hours before I use it. It is always cloudy. Sometimes I let it circulate for 2 or 3 days and it is still cloudy.

I'm still using Ocean Pure Pro.

PzReefer
03-23-2008, 05:16 PM
I find TMPro salt dissolves very quickly 30 mins or less but i still mix with PH for 24 hours and preheat to tank temp as well.

After this process it is perfectly clear with little sediment.

Jason McK
03-23-2008, 05:20 PM
I know Jack was telling me he uses a Hegan PH to mix his salt water. He puts one of those Filters on the intake.

After changing from Kent to TMP I found my water change bucket to be 100% cleaner. Now that I'm on RBS It's even cleaner

J

untamed
03-23-2008, 06:01 PM
It sounds like you get what you pay for in TMPP and RBS.

JHG
03-23-2008, 06:23 PM
I know Jack was telling me he uses a Hegan PH to mix his salt water. He puts one of those Filters on the intake.
J
Using the pre-filter idea is a good one.

When I start new aquariums I exclusively use sponges on the intakes of filters to help clear the sediment from the water. Within 24 hours, it's gone. I do this with both FW & SW aquaria.

digital-audiophile
03-23-2008, 06:58 PM
My OPP always was cloudy. I just mixed my first batch of RBS this morning and it was clear within minutes.

mark
03-23-2008, 07:45 PM
I make up about 20g at a time with IO salt and a couple of power heads and a heater. Would say is clear in 15 minutes, definitely in a 1/2 hour.

bv_reefer
03-23-2008, 11:23 PM
just switched from kent to sechem reef salt and it seems to clear up within 10-15 minutes tops, still run a power head but within 24 hours it's crystal clear,