PDA

View Full Version : Bubble Coral

Mattgesy
03-23-2008, 02:19 PM
Ok I need suggestions here
I have had my bubble coral for awhile now, it was doing great now it’s just gone to crap lol
I have MH plus T5s. everything is normal on test no nitrates so on so forth, I added calcium. And all the things I need, all my other corals are doing great; I have even moved him around
Any suggestions?

fmelindy
03-23-2008, 02:46 PM
it' funny, although I've often read in the aquarium literature that this is supposed to be an easy coral to keep, this has always been my experience with them too. I'd love to hear other's experiences. I have a feeling that long term success with them is dependent on acquiring a near perfect specimen. My experience with them has been that any shipping-induced damaged or recession will inevitable lead to a brown jelly infection with time. But that's just my experience. As I've said, I'd really like a nice cross-section of other user's experiences, too.

Tangman
03-23-2008, 03:00 PM
Unfortunately , I agree with fmelindy, my experience with bubble coral has been the same, I've had them before ,they seem to do fine ,even grow to twice the size but after about a year to two years, they get this brown jelly infection ( starts near the base) and die off

marie
03-23-2008, 04:08 PM
I have had a green bubble going on 2 years and a pearl bubble for over a year.
The one thing I've noticed about these guys is that they are very sensitive to allelopathy (sp?) (chemical warfare), any leathers in the system seem to make them go downhill fast

dstasiuk
03-23-2008, 04:24 PM
I don't understand these things either. I had one that was spectacular - about 12" across when open. It slowly started to recede from both edges until there was only a tiny (about 1" spot) with any life left on it - about 3 bubbles.

I was about to dispose of it, but decided to stick it on a small shelf in a non-visible spot until it died completely. Now, about 3 weeks later, it's recovering very well - it has reclaimed about 50% of it's skeleton and visibly growing every day. Sure happy I didn't toss it.

I have also seen a similar behavior from one at our LFS - is it possible this is abit of a cycle they go through?

Myka
03-23-2008, 04:34 PM
The one thing I've noticed about these guys is that they are very sensitive to allelopathy (sp?) (chemical warfare), any leathers in the system seem to make them go downhill fast

I have noticed this as well. Leathers, zoos, and palys annoy the crap out of them. I've had my bubble for about a year now, and it did well right from the start. Mine used to be two skeletons attached to eachother. At one point the smaller of the two started to recede, and looked horrible. It was missing a lot of flesh by the timeI noticed. I turkey basted it, and there was a lot of sand down under the flesh in the centre. I think it was getting too much sand settling on it, causing it to recede. Once it started receding, the sand could get right under the flesh, which made everything worse. I separated it from the other skeleton, and started turkey basting it gently twice a day to get the sand out from under the flesh. The MAJOR factor was feeding it several Mysis shrimp per day. It bounced back in just a few weeks.

ElGuappo
03-23-2008, 05:17 PM
i have had my bubble for about 6 monthes now and it has gone thru different stages of health (appearance wise). i have a toadstool leather coral in the near vacinity and mushies. he does fine

One thing i have noticed if you move coral it takes a few days to acclimatize to the new spot new flow ETC....

i use a small amount of cyclopeeze once a day and now he is doing better than ever. i rareley dose anything. just strontium once every 10 days and iodide the same.

When i feed cyclopeze i turn offf the pumps and skimmer. leaving my korialia on for small flow. this helps the corals get some to land on it thus feeding them wihtout thongs.

i also just removed a Ctenophore as i believe it was killing my ltoadstool. since i removed from the toadstool his is soing better in a matter of a day. but i will add picks to show the mark he left on the TS.

i know that is a little off topic but i have heard varying opinion on these and mine is that my coral green star polys as well do NOT like ctenophores. they tenticles must be sting ing them as they and TS would extent their polys until now that the sweepers are nolonger touching it. just a small bit of info i just went thru. hope it helps,

Chin_Lee
03-23-2008, 05:32 PM
I've a green bubble for about 4-5 years now and it is mounted on a heavy piece of base rock and it stands straight up so it is not touching anything in the vicinity. I find them quick killers of anything close to their tentacles. I feed them regularly (once per week) with a good bunch of PE mysis and even small dead fishes that I have had in the tank. I think the feeding is important in keeping these things alive.

naesco
03-23-2008, 06:16 PM
Ok I need suggestions here
I have had my bubble coral for awhile now, it was doing great now it’s just gone to crap lol
I have MH plus T5s. everything is normal on test no nitrates so on so forth, I added calcium. And all the things I need, all my other corals are doing great; I have even moved him around
Any suggestions?

What are you feeding it and how oftern?

Mattgesy
03-23-2008, 10:16 PM
i am feeding it Mysis shrimp every second day and it's eatting it.
nothing else is touching it, i do have leathers, but again not close to it at all, on the other side of the tank (which i know doesnt matter)
i tired moving it around, but it seems doing good in this one spot, i also never moved it on the top, where it gets alot of light, but i heard they sometimes like it more on the bottem then anything. i turn off my powerheads and sit the mysis right onhim, and i see him eat them, but other then that, he has like one bubble left ...

ElGuappo
03-24-2008, 02:30 AM
Mine gets numerous brine and mysis as well as cyclpeeze. u use cyclos once every 2-3 days. and frozen shrimp 2 every day. with the pumps off enough food falls on him to eat plenty. i start and stop the pumps a second time to get food airborn again that has settled on the bottom. i do NO spot fedding and he looks better now then when i bought it.

fishoholic
03-24-2008, 02:51 AM
I don't understand these things either. I had one that was spectacular - about 12" across when open. It slowly started to recede from both edges until there was only a tiny (about 1" spot) with any life left on it - about 3 bubbles.

I was about to dispose of it, but decided to stick it on a small shelf in a non-visible spot until it died completely. Now, about 3 weeks later, it's recovering very well - it has reclaimed about 50% of it's skeleton and visibly growing every day. Sure happy I didn't toss it.

I have also seen a similar behavior from one at our LFS - is it possible this is abit of a cycle they go through?

The exact same thing happened with our bubble coral

Doug
03-24-2008, 05:44 PM
The one pictured in my avatar was around 10 yrs. old when it died from an infection. However I believe it was due to an alkalinity problem, which is another story.

It loved intense light, from my 250w 65k Iwasaki, [plus window sunlight], in my 70g cube to its last home in my 225g with 400w Radiums. It was close to 2 ft. sq. when open in all its glory. My mated Blue Striped Cinnamon clowns called it home.

For current, I always found it liked enough to move the bubbles but not enough to distort their shape. I usually fed it some type of shrimps like mysis or before that the larger krill types. It also ate anything it could catch floating pass, including a chromis once.

Best to feed them in the evening light, when there light catching bubbles are mostly gone and all their feeding catchers are out waving around.

Skimmerking
03-24-2008, 06:04 PM
yes Doug you had a beautiful bubble coral i can also vouch it love the light and Doug's was a white pearl one amazing and huge... mine was a green one that is on the down hill for some reason , I havent got the reason on what caused it to go that way. but since im 8000 miles away from it I'm hoping that Doug can help it out....

ElGuappo
03-25-2008, 01:03 AM
For current, I always found it liked enough to move the bubbles but not enough to distort their shape. I usually fed it some type of shrimps like mysis or before that the larger krill types. It also ate anything it could catch floating pass, including a chromis once.

Best to feed them in the evening light, when there light catching bubbles are mostly gone and all their feeding catchers are out waving around.

i Agree 100% except for the chromis thing havent lost one of those yet, ia m however missing a camel shrimp since adding the bubble.

As for the light i have a red sea max tank and the light is decent but not good and it does fine i have it mid tank.

Mattgesy
03-25-2008, 03:22 AM
well i moved it to this one spot, and its more not so intense lighting, and it seems to be doing better, like barly any flow to the water, and the bubbles are starting to come back about 2 right now, so here's hoping its going to pop back up
Thanks everyone

(last time i get myself one of these lol)