PDA

View Full Version : Sump setup /glass scraping question

fishguyxd
03-23-2008, 01:19 AM
I was wondering what others reefers have in there sump setups meaning what filters (sponge or type of floss,etc) and what media they have how & many layers. example my water from the display tank goes thru sump past some macro algea a little LR and skimmer then thru some filter floss and back to display I have no carbon or bioballs. not really filtering much I want to know if I should change it up to improve but the system working.

Also since I have switched to t-5's my glass really gets a film on it and has to be cleaned every two days. my water tests have been coming out fine I was thinking maybe I have something on the high/low scale my lights are currently on about 6-8 hr a day.

thanks

Tangman
03-23-2008, 03:11 PM
I use a 50 micron filter bag on the over flow pipe in the sump
http://oceanaquatics.com/store/product/556/Filter-Bag-50-Micron--Hoop/
J&L has them too.
Just wash the in the washing machine once a week , no soap of coarse

fishguyxd
03-27-2008, 02:11 AM
Anyone have more info?

mark
03-27-2008, 02:39 AM
I'm just using filter socks (100 microns), no other media.

When I had the light over the sump, was getting coralline and film on the glass. Just wiped the sides down with a cleaning magnet like I do with the display, never worried about the baffles.

untamed
03-27-2008, 05:02 AM
Nothing in my sump except rock. I don't use any mechanical filtration at all. I have two sumps, and one of them gets wiped clean every week.