PDA

View Full Version : Compatibility Question...

VFX
03-22-2008, 07:01 PM
How compatible are these?

Does anyone have any of these together?

- Clams
- Sexy Shrimp
- Peppermint Shrimp
- Blue Legged Hermits
- Flame Angel

I've kept one or two of them together but never all at once...

Brent F
03-22-2008, 07:07 PM
Flame angels sometimes nip at clams.

Shrimp can irritate clams if they pick at them

VFX
03-22-2008, 07:50 PM

My Flame Angel never picked at any of my corals but was kept in a softies & LPS tank so I have no experience of them with SPS & Clams.

My cleaner shrimp bugged the hell out of my clams & sps so I placed him in my softies tank with Peppermints in.

The Cleaner & the Peppermints got along fine but due to their tiny size, I'm wondering if Sexy Shrimp & Peppermints will get along OK.

I'm also wondering if Sexy Shrimp & Peppermints will annoy clams & sps?

As for blue legs... I had no hermits in my SPS & Clams tank so I'm not sure if they will bother them of not.

Anyone keep hermits & Clams together?

Brent F
03-22-2008, 08:01 PM
My hermits leave the clams alone. I have left legged, blue leg and halloween crabs with my clams

dsaundry
03-23-2008, 12:14 AM
Hi Viv: I have always been advised that you shouldn't have hermits with clams..Apparently there is the possibility they can tear the mantle membrane.
Don't know if other members have this issue...
ps; was in A/H today and they had some really nice little clams for $60.00
I almost picked one up. Blues..Gold..Green selection

Cya later..Darryl.:biggrin:

VFX
03-23-2008, 12:48 AM
Hey Darryl,

I've had a few people say not to keep hermits or shrimp with clams but the tanks I've seen with nice SPS & Clams all tend to have hermits and/or shrimps in them.

Makes me think they might just irritate the clams a little bit rather than bug them to the point of submission or death!

Where's A/H? hmmm... I'd be tempted if my tank wasn't so new!

So did you buy a car yet?

mildcustom2
03-23-2008, 01:05 AM
I've had problems with pepermint shrimp picking at my clams in the past. I really don't trust them in any of my tanks unless they are in the sump or refugium.

VFX
03-23-2008, 01:12 AM
My hermits leave the clams alone. I have left legged, blue leg and halloween crabs with my clams

I think I'll risk giving them a try... at least their not too hard to remove if they become a problem.

I've had problems with pepermint shrimp picking at my clams in the past. I really don't trust them in any of my tanks unless they are in the sump or refugium.

Peppermints are off my list I guess. Shame I love those little guys...

Fingers crossed that Sexy Shrimp will keep themselves off my clams!

mildcustom2
03-23-2008, 01:55 AM
I don't have any problems with the sexy shrimp in my display tank at all.

dsaundry
03-23-2008, 02:51 AM
I still dont know if hermits are ok..I just picture those sharp little feet of theirs tearing at the clam if they walk over it..Didnt think peppermints would be a problem...learn something new..A/H is on Luckakuck...
As for a new vehicle it looks like the Hyundai Santa Fe is going to be our new customer shuttle. Barb fell in love with it..Tried the Honda's and the Toyota's and I have to admit that the Hyundai was far better..Go figure..North American stuff sucked except the Malibu but you get a lot more vehicle with the Hyundai..Barb wouldnt let me get the Vette..A deal at $59,000.. She said I could have my midlife crisis in a few years.. Back to the clams, I almost got one but I am going to wait a few weeks to confirm that my water perameters come back into line...Going over to Superfudges tomorrow to have a look at his tank and get some advise on afew things maybe..tomorrow is another "Get to work on my aquarium rooms and stuff" without the wife nagging at me to do someting else..:lol: Still going to do some yard work as well I hope..The work never ends...probably be up early again:biggrin::biggrin:

fkshiu
03-23-2008, 05:57 AM
I have:

Clams (crocea and squamosa)
Sexy shrimp (2)
Cleaner shrimp (1)
Fire shrimp (1)
Peppermint shrimp (2)
Pistol shrimp (1)
Scarlet hermits (~5)

and everyone gets along fine, although the cleaner sometimes bugs my squamosa clam when he tiptoes across, but that's about it.

Keep in mind, however, the size of my tank.

Aquattro
03-23-2008, 02:07 PM
I've always kept hermits and cleaner shrimp with clams, never had a problem.

VFX
03-23-2008, 07:06 PM
That's what I wanted to hear :)

Thanks