PDA

View Full Version : Weird Film on tank

Pan
03-21-2008, 10:09 PM
Well this is a first, i have a white film on the tank that i need to scrape of with a razor...some came of in what i would describe looking like melted teflon tape. Most comes off in a whitish "dust cloud" water is very murky...you can see the particulates..looks like fine sand blowing around. I'm thinking either its the water...RO Broke...replacing as soon as i can. Or its the damn playsand in the refugium...either way i have never seen this before. Going to test water again in a minute. But since i had to do my top-ups with tap water for a week or so the damn prime/amquel messes up my readings on ammonia. Seems i'm going to have to buy a hang on to polish the water a bit...or a diatom filter...wish i could find one again.

marie
03-21-2008, 10:17 PM
Well this is a first, i have a white film on the tank that i need to scrape of with a razor...some came of in what i would describe looking like melted teflon tape. Most comes off in a whitish "dust cloud" water is very murky...you can see the particulates..looks like fine sand blowing around. I'm thinking either its the water...RO Broke...replacing as soon as i can. Or its the damn playsand in the refugium...either way i have never seen this before. Going to test water again in a minute. But since i had to do my top-ups with tap water for a week or so the damn prime/amquel messes up my readings on ammonia. Seems i'm going to have to buy a hang on to polish the water a bit...or a diatom filter...wish i could find one again.

sounds like calcium precipitate, could your tap water be hard and adding it's own cal/alk to the water?

Pan
03-21-2008, 10:30 PM
sounds like calcium precipitate, could your tap water be hard and adding it's own cal/alk to the water?
That was my first thought. But water tested the same as my RO water (my new water for a waterchange) albiet a higher phosphate level. I am going to let the "soup" mix for awhile and re-test. I hope everything is good. Good thing my livestock and rock is in another tank...put everything in a 110 to repair a leak. So new tank is filled but filmy. I've used tap water for a lot of years and never really had a problem. Found a diatom filter if everything tests okay then i will purchase it and let it do it's magic.

On a side not, my alk and calcium tests are older..they are salifert but maybe i should get some new ones. Hmm...and an easy blad attachment my arms are only so long. Sorry for digressing..my mind works weirdly and my fingers just type following suit :)