PDA

View Full Version : Overflow question

fishytime
03-21-2008, 09:22 PM
I am in the process of a 110g tank build and I THINK I have run into a bit of a problem. My tank has a plastic trim around the top so I am hoping that I can build the overflow so that the water level in the tank is above the bottom of the plastic trim. The problem is the tank has euro-bracing around the perimeter of the tank, leaving me only 3/4" from the bottom of the euro-bracing to the bottom of the plastic trim. Is this to small of a distance? Can I build my overflow boxes the same height as the bottom of the plastic trim?

Boomboy
03-21-2008, 09:41 PM
i dont get it why do you have a black trim and eurobracing , they do the same thing dont they? maybe pics would help to explain your situation better.

digital-audiophile
03-21-2008, 10:03 PM
i dont get it why do you have a black trim and eurobracing , they do the same thing dont they? maybe pics would help to explain your situation better.

The trim is just plastic.. on a bigger tank it's just safer to have eurobracing added.

fishytime
03-21-2008, 10:51 PM
Ok heres a couple pics. Not real good ones but hope you can see what I'm talking about.
http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o19/fishytime/IMGP1598.jpg
http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o19/fishytime/IMGP1601.jpg

mark
03-22-2008, 12:00 AM
My tank is the same as you're talking building yours.

The overflows are about even with the bottom of the trim and with the return running, you can't see the water line below the trim and have the 3/4" clearance from the brace.

fishytime
03-22-2008, 12:54 AM
So you dont think that there will be any issues there only being 3/4" clearance between the top of the overflow and the top of the tank? All the lfs dudes Ive asked say I should have around 2" clearance.

mark
03-22-2008, 01:30 AM
Guess would say to the LFS guys to explain the problems. Mine's been up for +2 years and I can't think of anything.

If I did have the 2" clearance then I'd be looking at the waterline and the salt creep above, something personally I wouldn't want.